Author Topic: subkey 1D error  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
subkey 1D error
« on: June 11, 2017, 12:26:50 AM »
Got on the bike this morning, put the fob in the glovebox as I always do, turned the stove knob and the displays came on and did the usual diagnostics. Pushed the start button, displays went dead, and nothing.......

Even did the "put the fob behind the stove knob" thing, and tried multiple times to turn the stove knob. Then I got the "subkey 1D error" followed by a symbol of a key.

Please tell me it's nothing serious.........? I will test the bike's battery shortly, as soon as the inlaws have had their breakfast and went through the door.......

It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline O.C.

Re: subkey 1D error
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 01:36:09 AM »
Battery connections ?
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »
  It's better than the ID 10 t error ::)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 02:02:58 AM »
battery connections are good. 12.24V measured with the multi meter while the battery is still hooked up to the bike. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 03:33:35 AM »
Never mind...... battery is the culprit. Jumped it with my pickup truck, and everything came on. I will be buying a new battery tomorrow.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 06:10:22 AM »
The tradition continues!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »
Glad it was an easy fix brother!!  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »
When in doubt, replace the battery.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
12.25 isn't good. It's about a 25% charge, on a good battery. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 05:11:28 AM »

I think it is closer to about 50%, but indeed 12.25 is far from being charged.  And that might be just a surface measurement, (after charge and/or no load) in which case the battery condition could be much worse.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/_img/content/voltage-band.jpg
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »
I assume you are basing that on the ole' 12.0 volts is fully discharged and 13.0 volts is fully charged, and it is linear in- between. For what it is worth, almost all measurements of lead- acid cell batteries are worse than useless because they do not work and mislead the person doing the measuring. I am speaking here of subtle differences; if one measures a six- cell battery and it is at 4.2 volts, it is what is technically called "toast" and unlikely to recover (though I have seen some batteries 'come back from the dead'). The only really useful test on large, lead- acid batteries is a load test IMO, which is kinda' what we do every-time we start a vehicle with them but without all the data (current and voltage).

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
All I know is, the bike is up and running again. Replaced the battery last night, and rode it to work this morning.

The battery never gave me a hint of warning that it is about to die on me. On Saturday, i rode the bike twice. Once to the car wash to have it properly cleaned, and later to the pub to watch our Springboks (national rugby team) play and beat France.

Like I said, Sunday morning was a different story. Turn the key, normal diagnostics check by the displays, etc, and as soon as I touched the start button, everything went dead, and stayed dead.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 03:55:46 AM »
Had that happen to an 81 Silver Wing I was riding on.  Stopped for a break and it wouldn't start.  Yuasa battery.   Don't remember how old the battery was.   No indication beforehand that anything was amiss.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »
So what is the battery of choice?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 08:04:27 AM »
He said he washed it and the next day it wouldn't start ... nuff said   :o

Bikes, like children love to be dirty.   ;)
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
I assume you are basing that on the ole' 12.0 volts is fully discharged and 13.0 volts is fully charged, and it is linear in- between. For what it is worth, almost all measurements of lead- acid cell batteries are worse than useless because they do not work and mislead the person doing the measuring. I am speaking here of subtle differences; if one measures a six- cell battery and it is at 4.2 volts, it is what is technically called "toast" and unlikely to recover (though I have seen some batteries 'come back from the dead'). The only really useful test on large, lead- acid batteries is a load test IMO, which is kinda' what we do every-time we start a vehicle with them but without all the data (current and voltage).

Brian
I'm basing it on my acquired knowledge throughout the years. 12.6 would be fully charged. This is of course assuming there is no surface charge, giving a false reading. ;D Guru here. At least some stuff. ::)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
He said he washed it and the next day it wouldn't start ... nuff said   :o

Bikes, like children girls love to be dirty.   ;)
fify

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
Oh, OK, didn't know you were a guru. Reminds me of Edison saying he had done 50,000 battery experiments before choosing the materials to design the 'Edison' cell. Tesla responded ".....I was almost a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor." Then again, I have always personally believed a person who spend many years on a honeywagon (a septic system draining truck) really knew his / her $hi!, if you know what I mean.

To any others looking on, resting voltage is not a very accurate way to measure state of charge in lead- acid batteries. Among other variables, the relationship between resting voltage and  Electrolyte density is better but impossible to do with unless one has access to each cell and the electrolyte is liquid (the way this is measured it to draw off some fluid into a chamber with different colored balls (Easy Boys! only one is blue!) and see which ones float. There table on the vial to read state of charge based on which balls float).

Brian (not a guru, not even close. I know this based on years of learning from gurus, most dead but all brilliant)

I'm basing it on my acquired knowledge throughout the years. 12.6 would be fully charged. This is of course assuming there is no surface charge, giving a false reading. ;D Guru here. At least some stuff. ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
I knew it would come back. ;D
Ain't no thang. 8)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »
Well, I enjoy a witty repartee. The ole' parry and thrust (Easy Boys! Not that kind of thrust!). I even like the occasional back-handed compliment, provided it is at least a little bit clever ('You know, for uncoordinated as you seem to be, you do not fall down nearly as often as I would have thought....').

Agreed on the thang part- I had to look that up to make sure it meant what I thought it meant.  ;D  I am old and you young folks be sneakin' up on me wit da' 'new math' version of English. I believe the correct response is: word!

;D

Have a good day Jimmy.....

Brian

I knew it would come back. ;D
Ain't no thang. 8)