Author Topic: It Burns, It Burns!  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
It Burns, It Burns!
« on: June 15, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
Now that I have your attention.   Summer riding on a gel pad + stock seat in 95+ degrees makes for an uncomfortable sensation in the area that I sit upon.  What's the real solution as far as undergarments are concerned?  Is there a garment that keeps that area moderately comfortable?  I'd get a different seat if I could find one with air conditioning...  This thread will probably get sideways real fast, let's try and stay on point.  My backside will appreciate it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: It Burns, It Burns!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »
Are you convinced that gel is the way to go? I've found it to be hot and unforgiving. You might ditch the gel for a sheepskin.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
And I find the gel breaks down from the heat.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Tree

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:48:53 AM »
I kinda like the way the gel keeps me and mine from sliding into the tank.  Yep, gel is hot in the Summer and Cold in the Winter but it is way better than the stock seat as far as time in the saddle is concerned.  Will sheepskin halt the slide?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
It helps.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
It helps.
+1
I used a sheepskin on my old RT with a Russell Daylong & it helped quite a bit.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:20:19 PM »
Well, all I can tell you is what worked for me.

A Corbin saddle because it provides a fairly flat (does not look it but it really is), wide platform to work with. An Airhawk above to 'float' just above the saddle itself so there is no particular point bearing weight but rather my entire butt. Frankly, Airhawks do exactly what they say they will do. As far as coolness, again, Airhawks help a little bit in that area but do not really allow any appreciable air circulation (a little bit between the mesh and the cells of the cushion). Another material, such as beads (Easy Boys! Not those kind of beads!) defeats what an Airhawk does so no advantage there. Finally, no undergarments with any seams you sit on. For riding, I actually use thin, stretchy pants that no human with any dignity would be caught dead in, cut the legs off and use them under pants. Put all of this together and I can spend over 50 hours riding without any particular or specifically located discomfort- no 'hot spots' and no 'bone aches' when done. Not to say that there is no pain, because there is, but there is no more pain in my butt than my legs, ankles or everything else that has an odd combination of numbness and pain. But 8- 10 hours in the saddle is downright comfy actually. Of all the things I mentioned, the Airhawk is the must crucial and useful.

As far as heat itself, the two things I find very helpful are Baker air wings because they can be turned to actually direct air directly onto your chest / abdomen, which works amazingly well to cool all of the body behind the windshield. The other thing is to stand up and cool your butt off about every 10, 15 minutes, and / or sit on the passenger's ledge for a moment or two. You can feel the cooling take effect immediately and it lasts for a few minutes.

Brian
Now that I have your attention.   Summer riding on a gel pad + stock seat in 95+ degrees makes for an uncomfortable sensation in the area that I sit upon.  What's the real solution as far as undergarments are concerned?  Is there a garment that keeps that area moderately comfortable?  I'd get a different seat if I could find one with air conditioning...  This thread will probably get sideways real fast, let's try and stay on point.  My backside will appreciate it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tree

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback fellas.  I was thinking of using something skin-tight as an undergarment.  Bicycle pants maybe.  I think most have a wicking property that is attractive.  Or repulsive...  You get the idea.

I'll look into Airhawk too.  As for the seat there is a Corbin factory just down the street from me (Hollister).  I'll check them out.

Thanks again.

Tree

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
Tilley or Duluth underware (Nylon) works well.   Anything except cotton.   I also use Duluth Ball room jeans with spandex.  The jeans don't stick as much as cotton jeans.  I'm debating saying this but it does work.....antiperspirant on the butt reduces the sweating.   I've had that monkey butt twice but since using all the above, I haven't had it again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »
antiperspirant on the butt reduces the sweating. 
That's not a pretty picture.  :rotflmao:
(you had to know that was coming)
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 03:23:50 PM »
I wouldn't know about that.  I can't see my butt.  :rotflmao:   Butt it does work.  Yeah, I knew something wicked would come my way..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »
I added gel to my previous motorcycle's seat.  It helped with comfort but was SUPER EXTREME HOT in the summer (especially if the sun ever shined on it) and cold as ice in winter.  I would cover it with a white cloth when not parked at home to try and reflect the solar energy (otherwise sitting on it from being parked an hour would have been impossible).

I will not use another gel seat (and haven't on the Concours).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 05:44:59 PM »
I added gel to my previous motorcycle's seat.  It helped with comfort but was SUPER EXTREME HOT in the summer (especially if the sun ever shined on it) and cold as ice in winter.  I would cover it with a white cloth when not parked at home to try and reflect the solar energy (otherwise sitting on it from being parked an hour would have been impossible).

I will not use another gel seat (and haven't on the Concours).

That is the issue I'm faced with now.  It appears that there is a solution, I just have to make the moves.

Tilley or Duluth underware (Nylon) works well.   Anything except cotton.   I also use Duluth Ball room jeans with spandex.  The jeans don't stick as much as cotton jeans.  I'm debating saying this but it does work.....antiperspirant on the butt reduces the sweating.   I've had that monkey butt twice but since using all the above, I haven't had it again.

The best answers always tend to be the simplest.  Another entirely different thread just may open up now - Spray V Stick V Roll On V Scented/Unscented. Thanks for the reply.