Author Topic: Shifting, downshiting problem  (Read 2505 times)

Offline MajorTom

• Love to ride
Shifting, downshiting problem
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:08:09 PM »
Hello, I have been absent from the ZG/GTR forum for a long time but I did remember that the guys who know the most about C-14 are here and if I wanted to find someone that has had a similar problem, my best chance was here on this Forum.

So here is my problem.

I have recently been getting an odd push back feeling in my clutch lever when down shifting. I can feel a kind of kickback in the grip and the gear engages suddenly. Smooth shifts are now difficult to impossible as the wheel engages in a very short space when releasing the clutch lever with this kick back on the clutch lever. It's getting impossible to let the clutch slip. I saw my mechanic and he thinks it could be related to loose "C" formed joints that allows the shaft to "bend", adjust to the changing wheel position.

What I understand from this situation is that my bike will be in the shop while he explores all different possibilities ordering parts and working without really knowing on what he should concentrate with the consequences that I will have to loose the enjoyment of my bike for a long time and that I will get a substantial bill to boot. This is what I'm trying to avoid by asking the group, hoping someone recognizes the symptoms and possibly knows the cure.

Does anyone recognize this type of reaction in the clutch lever and in the sudden shifts due to very short lever position change between engaged and disengaged  not allowing smooth shifting.

I feel it more between first, second and somewhat third speed.

My C-14 is a 2012, purchased new and only has approximately 17,000 miles on the odometer (25,600 km).

Suggestions or clues welcome? Thanks in advance for your time.
Love to ride my new 2012 Concours
Just traded in my 2008!

Offline Freddy

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MajorTom

• Love to ride
Re: Shifting, downshiting problem
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:41:39 PM »
Great! That simple reply just saved me lots of problems and possibly $$$.

Thanks so much. I would hope for 20% of your efficiency in my dealings in life and I would be working 8 hours a week and riding the rest of the time!

Fantastic! :D
Love to ride my new 2012 Concours
Just traded in my 2008!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »
Have you changed the fluid and flushed the master and slave cylinders to remove any built up crud? And then bled the system to purge any air? These things may not help but they also save you an expensive trip to the dealer. Please keep us informed.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
That's exactly how the clutch acts when a star spring breaks off and gets in between a couple of the clutch plates.  Steve

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »
That's exactly how the clutch acts when a star spring breaks off and gets in between a couple of the clutch plates.  Steve
I agree, had the same thing happen to me, I flushed everything in the hydraulic clutch with no change, then disassembled my clutch and found two tabs broke off the star springs.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:42:27 PM »
hmmmm

a down shiting problem?

Depending on whether it's a blockage or too loose try either imodium or senna pods

;D
--
space reserved for humourous sig file