Author Topic: Bent swingarm  (Read 431 times)

Offline RanchoFM

Bent swingarm
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:16:37 am »
Sadly, this winds up being my first post. I searched all over and oddly didn't find any precedent for this.

So, after 15k wonderful miles I dropped my 08 C14 in a bonehead 0mph maneuver. Bike touched down on the left side on the mirror, lower front fairing, saddlebag, and the pivot between the swingarm and final drive unit. Oh yeah, and my foot.

I checked the bike over and rode it home. It tracked straight and handled normally. Last week, I took a 1200 mile trip and about 3/4 of the way through, the back tire started showing some noticeably uneven wear, wearing on the left side much more than the right. When I put a level up to the sidewalls (not very scientific, I know) it shows that the bottom of the wheel is kicked out to the right a bit. I would think the swingarm component of the Tetralever would be stout enough to take this, but I don't know. Any experience with or thoughts on this? Thanks!

Eric

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Bent swingarm
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:42:46 am »
I've had my bike fall in a 0mph fall and the only thing damaged was a scuff on the mirror and the lowers.  Granted it did fall on me and I broke it's fall.   With 0mph falls, I don't think we've heard of a swingarm component being bent.   There's ways to check if the tracking is on.  Hopefully someone will chime in with that.
  "LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:03 am »
It sounds like something got knocked loose, but a bent swingarm? Pretty tough pill to swallow. Did a car back over it?
2010 Connie. No ABS, no TC, no linked brakes. A real bike.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp236/Jimmymac25/twokillboy003.jpg

Offline RanchoFM

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:19:10 am »
It sounds like something got knocked loose, but a bent swingarm? Pretty tough pill to swallow. Did a car back over it?

That's what I thought, but with all the linkages I don't know. It was a simple drop. Also, I had 4k miles on these tires before the "incident", and they were wearing evenly.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:09:33 pm »
wearing on the left side much more than the right.

I'm going to suggest that this is typical, at least in places where we drive on the RH-side of the road.  The left side of your tires will always wear more quickly.  Why?  Think about turns, it's reasonable to assume that left turns and right turns are roughly equal but a left turn will take you much farther around a larger circle than a right turn.  So you are leaning to the left and wearing the left side of your tires out much more.

The swing arm is very stout material on the C14.  I think the chances of you bending it with a simple drop are pretty remote.  But if bent, I think you're going to be experiencing some really odd handling which would be a lot more noticeable than some uneven tire wear.  But you will probably want to inspect it anyway.  I don't agree that your "level" test is valid though.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:45:13 pm »
I'm going to suggest that this is typical, at least in places where we drive on the RH-side of the road.  The left side of your tires will always wear more quickly.  Why?  Think about turns, it's reasonable to assume that left turns and right turns are roughly equal but a left turn will take you much farther around a larger circle than a right turn.  So you are leaning to the left and wearing the left side of your tires out much more.

Also typically there is a crown in the road, slight as it might be, to promote drainage to the shoulder.
Do not try to live forever on this earth. You will not succeed.

Offline RanchoFM

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:54:27 pm »
Also typically there is a crown in the road, slight as it might be, to promote drainage to the shoulder.

I've considered the crown, but this wear is more uneven than any tires I've had, including the ones in question (for the first 4k miles). I'll try to put up a pic tonight.

I don't put much stock in the level test; just a quick assessment.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:01:14 pm »
I basically agree with every single post so far in this thread, and think others have about covered the whole subject.

The only other thing I can think of to add is that it is possible that one of the pivots / joints on the rear linkage is worn, corroded, loose or similar. And having had a few of them apart on C-14's, I really do not believe any of that is likely at all, whatsoever. The rear suspension, specifically the 4-bar link system is truly built like a brick outhouse; actually, I believe it is really very overbuilt, especially the joints and in this particular case, that is the way to go 'cause it really does not cost a lot of weight and just about eliminates failures.

As to your level measurement, how are you establishing vertical? In other words, if a level shows the rear wheel (you should not do any measurements from any tire, the wheels are more accurate), how do you know the mid- line of the bike is not canted by that amount, effectively making the rear wheel in- line with the chassis?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jwh20

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:45:26 pm »
By the way, what kind of tires and how many miles on them?

Online maxtog

• 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:02 pm »
Everyone posted before I could, so I was just going to add another voice to the "I don't see how it is possible to bend any part of the suspension on a C14 with a simple zero/low-speed drop, it is just too strong/reliable/robust".  And also the wear possibly being normal for RHD.  Anything else to me would be a mystery.  It is sad that has to be your first post instead of "just installed tip-over protection!!"
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Shoei GT Air,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline RanchoFM

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 07:50:55 pm »
It is sad that has to be your first post instead of "just installed tip-over protection!!"

Indeed. When I was looking into the C14 as my next bike (after a seriously ill-fated Ducati experience) the search function here and on cog-online pretty much eliminated the need to ask any questions. The fuel filter fix was a bike-saver when I first bought my Conc and it started bucking uncontrollably. Great sources of info.

All of your comments got me thinking that the trip I just took was through northern PA, the Catskills, Vermont, Adirondacks and out to the Finger Lakes. And we ride back roads as much as possible. Some narrow country lanes, rough surfaces and quite crowned in some places. Thinking maybe it's just my typical paranoia when it comes to machines. I took it out this evening and I can't find anything unusual about the way it rides. These are PR3's btw. ~5500 miles. The PR2 I had on the rear before this didn't wear like this in the 10k I had it, but then again it wasn't ridden quite as hard.

On a more superior note, we spent one day swapping bikes, and I switched with an R1200RT, R1150GS, 1st Gen V-Strom 1000 and an 1190 Super Adventure (so tall. so very very tall.) Every time I got back on the Conc after one of the big twins (which I do love), I was laughing in my helmet at how ridiculously suave and sophisticated the C14 is. Seriously refined machine.

Thanks for the replies now, people.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 07:56:05 pm »
Some folks get phenomenal mileage out of their tires....I'm not one of them. Five to seven K is about it. I'd call the tire toast and move on.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 10:56:36 pm »
Some folks get phenomenal mileage out of their tires....I'm not one of them. Five to seven K is about it. I'd call the tire toast and move on.

I have to agree with"G"......

Oh, and welcome to the forum.....
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
08 GTR 1400
06 Honda Twister

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:03 pm »
10,000 miles out of a tire?

Peace Brah, I'm out. :rotflmao:
2010 Connie. No ABS, no TC, no linked brakes. A real bike.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp236/Jimmymac25/twokillboy003.jpg

Offline mikeyw64

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 11:55:05 pm »

Based on pictures on FB most of those (claiming extreme high mileage) are probably the sort of people that think running down through to the wire & canvas is a cool thing to do.

Haven't run a full tyre down on the GTR yet but on the Bird (CBR1100XX)  with an Avon 3D XM fitted I could regularly get between 7 & 8k miles out of a rear (thats down to the TWI) and around 11- 12k from a front
--
space reserved for humourous sig file