Author Topic: We're doomed!  (Read 19014 times)

Offline Conrad

We're doomed!
« on: July 08, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »
http://globalnews.ca/news/3535819/chocolate-milk-brown-cows-survey/

Many Americans think chocolate milk comes from brown cows: study

Seven per cent of American adults think chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a survey conducted by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.
Over 1,000 respondents aged 18 and over were interviewed for the survey, which sought to examine people’s views on the role dairy products play in their diet and daily lives.
Extrapolated to the U.S. population, the findings suggest that over 22 million Americans link the milky brown beverage’s source to chocolate-coloured bovines.

The study also found that nearly half of Americans have no idea where chocolate milk comes from.
   :o

Chocolate milk is in fact white cow’s milk mixed with flavouring and sweeteners, the website of the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy reveals.

In less chuckle-inducing findings, the website also says chocolate milk is not linked to weight gain or hyperactivity in children, contrary to common belief.

The survey was conducted as part of the “Undeniably Dairy” project, “which showcases the joy of dairy in everyday life.”

Respondents were not asked where they thought strawberry milk comes from.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: We're doomed!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »
beyond the tipping ppint

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
beyond the tipping ppint

I am actually shocked the numbers weren't higher...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »
Yeah, this is why democracy is failing..... because we now have the ability to approach democracy.

In the olden days, the people voted but the candidates were almost always people of privileged and higher social positions and so were generally well educated and knew how to behave long before holding high elected office. Put another way, generally any candidate for high office was acceptable, and the rest of us only had a couple of relatively well groomed people to choose from. Today with Facenovel, Twitting and so forth, things are being done on a much faster and much more 'grass roots' level. Politicians are responding to the masses (or is it 'them asses'?) immediately and this is starting to have an impact on our entire society. The only branch that is so far immune seems to be the Judicial branch, and they just do not have the size, reach or authority to correct all the errors being generated by the other two branches..... and the masses.

Put another way, the 'brown cow / chocolate milk' folk choose all the current leaders and now, for the first time ever, are speaking to those people directly.... and those people are reacting to the noise because they have to.

Fun to watch, not so much to live in the middle of it.

Brian

P.S. We have always been doomed, only the method and the executioner has been negotiable. I think we have now chosen the executioner, and 'he' is 'us'. At least that is what Kirby thinks.

Seven per cent of American adults think chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a survey conducted by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.
Over 1,000 respondents aged 18 and over were interviewed for the survey, which sought to examine people’s views on the role dairy products play in their diet and daily lives.
Extrapolated to the U.S. population, the findings suggest that over 22 million Americans link the milky brown beverage’s source to chocolate-coloured bovines.

The study also found that nearly half of Americans have no idea where chocolate milk comes from.

Chocolate milk is in fact white cow’s milk mixed with flavouring and sweeteners, the website of the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy reveals.

In less chuckle-inducing findings, the website also says chocolate milk is not linked to weight gain or hyperactivity in children, contrary to common belief.

The survey was conducted as part of the “Undeniably Dairy” project, “which showcases the joy of dairy in everyday life.”

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »
I think the mid level judiciary is tainted by the political class elected by the brown cow crowd.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »
Yes, absolutely. I meant mid- level and higher judiciary. So far, the lucky contestants for, say, the position of Federal Judge and higher seem to be somewhat protected because again, they have extensive educations and almost universally, a lot of time interacting within a complex system of rules as well as rules of behavior. So by the time they stand for nomination, virtually all of the (searches and searches for fitting, P.C. and non- offensive word..... but cannot find it) have been weeded out.

The same used to be true for almost all House members but no longer applies. The Senate, usually a bastion of decency and at least some honest thought and study, is also sliding. The Executive branch.... well, I will just stop typing here.

The highest of the judiciary branch members, the US Supreme Court, is still a highly intelligent, extremely learned group of people, and they have great sway in our society. Even the ones occupying a position a citizen may not like is almost always a truly able individual; I dare any thinking person to read three opinions of the any one of them, even those on 'the other side', and not come to the conclusion it was written by a thoughtful, intelligent person. I recorded and watched some of Mr. Gorsuch's confirmation hearings and again, a highly intelligent, well spoken and able individual, regardless of his (absolutely good and correct, so far  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:) leanings. I personally do not agree with most of Justice Ginsburg's rulings, opinions or it seems, thoughts but I have tremendous RESPECT for her a a human and as a jurist of the highest caliber (she would probably cringe at that statement). And again, these people are NOT elected nor are they subject to the masses' opinions, which is why they still function at a high level I think.

In the late 18th century, the King et al. was not really working for the French so they chucked him. The new system was a group of would- be revolutionaries, holding their meetings in a public gallery, which basically ran things with their screaming, applauding and overall 'studio audience' bad behavior and mindlessness. As bad as the King was, this new 'system' was worse 'cause the CMP (Chocolate Milk People..... let's start a new acronym!) were now in charge and they simply were not equal to the task. That period had a LOT of beheading, which the CMP really, really liked, and was known as The Terror. Starting in 2010, the US entered a new phase when the angry mobs, or CMPs, elected a mid- term group with the simple and foolish mandate to oppose the current administration no matter what. And we 'broke' the gov't. And we continue to maintain it in that broken condition but what is worse is that we are replacing it with a public gallery, screaming, shouting, booing and applauding to steer our whole society. Sort of like an un- moderated (or badly moderated) forum being in charge of something.

I am not usually a pessimist but this ain't a' goin' to good places IMO.

Oh well, at least all the new videos that are being recorded of bad behavior will keep us entertained, if that is any consolation...

Brian

I think the mid level judiciary is tainted by the political class elected by the brown cow crowd.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
Maybe the Sarge can talk a little sense into the CMP....

http://youtu.be/g_T-JcsS33g

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
Now that right there is funny. And I really like those kewel clothes that Jack Webb dressed his actors in for the series.

And I doubt even Joe Friday, working on the night shift, in robbery division (yeah, I remember it), could do much now even if 1) he were alive and 2) he had a FaceTwit account. He would simply be a  point of hatred, for a few hours, for the CMP before they, like any other cat, saw something else move and chased that instead of the last thing they were doing.... whatever was.

Sorry, I think we have real social issues that could be dealt with, maybe effectively, with logical, calm and measured application of the abilities we have gained over 400,000 years. Maybe even a statesman or two. But instead we throw ever- increasing levels of 'mob mentality' at them, all the while increasing the ability of the mob to form bigger and louder mobs.

So now I say: CMP's, go forth and multiply. Pollute your own sandbox! Stop all progress, no matter how idiotic! That'll show 'em!

At least now I have a name for the viewers of the 'Crazy Channel' that I can say out-loud, right in front of them. Thank you ZGGTR forum for that, I will use it often! I think I will say 'CMP' but they will hear 'DCM' (Director of Civilian Marksmanship), and nod to whatever I say, and that will be REALLY funny.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:46 AM »

Wow!!!

:hail:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Clark Kent

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »

I can't believe that none of you knew this.  (but then this isn't in the ARENA.) yet.  :stirpot:
A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it.  "SHANE"

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 10:45:43 AM »
The average 'Mercan don't know nuthin' 'bout nuthin'.  And doesn't want to.

When I as in the hospital overnight a few years ago for minor surgery, I told the food people that I was a vegetarian and they recommended (and served me) Jell-O.  WTF???  You would think medical/dietician type people would know what they are serving, but no.....

https://www.livescience.com/42088-what-is-jello-jell-o.html

Very few people know what the hell they are actually eating. And with all the processing going on with our food supply, it is increasingly had to tell.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

I can't believe that none of you knew this.  (but then this isn't in the ARENA.) yet.  :stirpot:

I have enjoyed the creativity and humor in these two videos:(<--punctuation pun intended) (a) (b), but now I wonder about the effect they have on the CMP.

At least now I have a name for the viewers of the 'Crazy Channel' that I can say out-loud, right in front of them.

OH, and it will not be long before someone says CMP is racist. Not because CMP is racist, nor was intended to be racist, but because it can be construed that way. So use it with great caution outside of here less you be mistakenly labeled.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 12:13:46 PM »
Now that right there is funny. Not that they served you the wrong food or that you had any difficulty in the hospital but that they gave a vegetarian Jell-O. A long time ago, I read a line that said something to the effect that hospitals have a universal, institutional focus on Jell-O. Probably because they never, ever..... well, at least rarely, have to remove Jell-o from a patient's, er, wherever, and Jell-O cannot be used as a weapon, or at least an effective one.

Brian

The average 'Mercan don't know nuthin' 'bout nuthin'.  And doesn't want to.

When I as in the hospital overnight a few years ago for minor surgery, I told the food people that I was a vegetarian and they recommended (and served me) Jell-O.  WTF???  You would think medical/dietician type people would know what they are serving, but no.....

https://www.livescience.com/42088-what-is-jello-jell-o.html

Very few people know what the hell they are actually eating. And with all the processing going on with our food supply, it is increasingly had to tell.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »
Good point Marty, I never thought of that but yeah, surely someone will take offense to the CMP reference..... in a way not expected to deliver offense. :-)  Sort of like a 'shotgun' offensive remark- it catches at least several groups so they can huddle together on the street while carrying their <various> signs.

Aging has a terrible / wonderful consequence, at least in my own experience and the observation of all the old, cranky people around me: I care less and less everyday about such nonsense as P.C.

Brian

I have enjoyed the creativity and humor in these two videos:(<--punctuation pun intended) (a) (b), but now I wonder about the effect they have on the CMP.

OH, and it will not be long before someone says CMP is racist. Not because CMP is racist, nor was intended to be racist, but because it can be construed that way. So use it with great caution outside of here less you be mistakenly labeled.

Offline Icefever

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »

We have the same in the UK,  a survey by Asda (Walmart) found the following .........

"The survey commissioned by Asda has revealed that today’s kids lack basic knowledge of where their food comes from.
A whopping 41 per cent didn’t know eggs come from chickens while a quarter thought chicken could only be cooked on a barbecue.
Other shocking statistics included one in ten mistaking leafy kale for a boy’s name, while six out of ten couldn’t name how long it takes to grow a carrot.
Some children in the survey, which quizzed 1,000 under the age eight, believed that carrots can take up to TEN YEARS to grow.

Meanwhile 15 per cent of children believed chocolate and cucumbers are grown on trees.
One in 20 even falsely believed that avocados are laid by animals.
Proving that society is failing to lay down the foundations for basic food knowledge, almost a quarter also thought turkey, CHICKEN WINGS and sirloin steak come from a pig.
At a time of convenience, these findings expose how little children understand the food that’s on the plate."

Another study came up with this....

"There is a similar ignorance about fruit and veg. Five per cent believe strawberries grow inside the fridge, while six per cent think they grow on trees.
Over a quarter, 28 per cent, have no idea that carrots grow underground, with 9 per cent, believing they grow on a bush.
And six in ten admitted they didn't know lettuce grew on the ground while a massive 78 per cent didn't know broccoli grew on a plant.

Sustainable food and farming organisation Linking Environment and Farming (Leaf), which surveyed 1,000 children, is calling on parents and their children to attend their local farm this Sunday (June 7) as part of the organisation's Open Farm Sunday event."

We're on thin ice here guys,  but what's the answer???? ::)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 01:06:46 AM »
we also have politicians who think money grows on trees ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 02:17:43 AM »
News Flash: everyone has politicians who think money grows on trees. Just the way it is.

Brian

we also have politicians who think money grows on trees ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 02:23:03 AM »
I do not know- maybe most of us do not need to know a lot of this stuff anyway? It is not like we are going to be avocado farmers (or is that avocado livestock raisers?) anytime soon anyway.

Besides I think I am in that group: I had children who knew where raisins come from before I knew. I thought they grew on raisin bushes or something. Seriously, absolutely clueless that raisins used to be grapes, or are still grapes gone terribly, terribly wrong.

And now, I am re- thinking that whole chocolate milk thing.....

Brian

<snip>

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 03:50:55 AM »
We have the same in the UK,  a survey by Asda (Walmart) found the following .........

"The survey commissioned by Asda has revealed that today’s kids lack basic knowledge of where their food comes from.
A whopping 41 per cent didn’t know eggs come from chickens while a quarter thought chicken could only be cooked on a barbecue.
Other shocking statistics included one in ten mistaking leafy kale for a boy’s name, while six out of ten couldn’t name how long it takes to grow a carrot.
Some children in the survey, which quizzed 1,000 under the age eight, believed that carrots can take up to TEN YEARS to grow.

Meanwhile 15 per cent of children believed chocolate and cucumbers are grown on trees.
One in 20 even falsely believed that avocados are laid by animals.
Proving that society is failing to lay down the foundations for basic food knowledge, almost a quarter also thought turkey, CHICKEN WINGS and sirloin steak come from a pig.
At a time of convenience, these findings expose how little children understand the food that’s on the plate."

Another study came up with this....

"There is a similar ignorance about fruit and veg. Five per cent believe strawberries grow inside the fridge, while six per cent think they grow on trees.
Over a quarter, 28 per cent, have no idea that carrots grow underground, with 9 per cent, believing they grow on a bush.
And six in ten admitted they didn't know lettuce grew on the ground while a massive 78 per cent didn't know broccoli grew on a plant.

Sustainable food and farming organisation Linking Environment and Farming (Leaf), which surveyed 1,000 children, is calling on parents and their children to attend their local farm this Sunday (June 7) as part of the organisation's Open Farm Sunday event."

Thin ice indeed! And with climate change it's getting thinner by the day.    :o