Author Topic: The Kawasaki Concours 10 years later  (Read 9691 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: The Kawasaki Concours 10 years later
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 07:40:57 PM »
That might be some unofficial official "reason" (one I have never heard of, by the way), but it doesn't make sense to me at all.  The C14 has plenty of both battery and more importantly alternator, to support cruise controls.  That is why people add them all the time with zero problems from supposedly not having enough electrical power.  Most OLD cruise systems use vacuum "power" anyway, the electric draw is probably under 100mA.  People regularly add lots of accessories that have draws far, far higher than any cruise control.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having cruise, and I think it should, but it isn't something critical to me (which is why I also never bothered trying to add one).

My Indian has cruise.  Best dam cruise out of any vehicle I've ever owned.   Two Indian dealers in your area....     ;)   But when it comes to battery connections coming loose, the C14 doesn't compare to the Indian.  They'll come loose before your eyes..  And heat, don't get me started on heat.   :rotflmao:

You see what you've started, Gary?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
My Indian has cruise.  Best dam cruise out of any vehicle I've ever owned.   Two Indian dealers in your area....     ;)

Um, I'll pass....
In my case, I just don't ride lots of long distances, so a cruise control wouldn't be used all that much.  At least I don't think it would.  Mostly would come in handy so I could shake the feeling back into my right hand (damn carpal tunnel syndrome).  That said, I use cruise on my car all the time.

But when it comes to battery connections coming loose, the C14 doesn't compare to the Indian.  They'll come loose before your eyes.. 

Been there, done that.  Seems like we have all been there.

And heat, don't get me started on heat.

Seems OK on mine, as long as I am moving.  Stopped in freaking traffic- well, that is a different story.  Wow

He is an instigator!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »
Looking forward to celebrating 10 years on my '08 next month.  It's been rock solid with absolutely minimal maintenance and no issues except for a problem with KI-Pass early on.

Oh, and my original battery lasted 8 years, 8 months and 8 days (136,818km).  Pretty crappy, must have been overworked or summink...

http://banditrider.blogspot.co.nz/2016/04/8-years-8-months-8-days.html
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 03:52:11 AM »
My Indian has cruise.  Best dam cruise out of any vehicle I've ever owned.   Two Indian dealers in your area....     ;)   But when it comes to battery connections coming loose, the C14 doesn't compare to the Indian.  They'll come loose before your eyes..  And heat, don't get me started on heat.   :rotflmao:

:banana :banana :banana

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 05:53:24 AM »
 :battle: :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 05:55:08 AM »
Oh, and my original battery lasted 8 years, 8 months and 8 days (136,818km).

That, right there, is amazing :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 06:10:14 AM »
That, right there, is amazing :)

That battery has probably never been cold.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 07:47:57 AM »
My original battery went 5 years and I only replaced it because I was going on a cross country trip and didn't want to take any chances.   Never used a battery tender either.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
Heat will kill a battery just as much as cold will. I like puppies! :offtopic:
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »
Yes it will.

Offline banditrider

• Off for a ride
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
That battery has probably never been cold.

Not cold like some of you blokes in the North of the Northern Hemisphere.  Generally only ridden through snowy areas.  Does get below 0 (celsius) overnight where I am in winter but bike snug in it's uninsulated shed.
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
WAY OFFTOPIC: 

Hmmmm. Do you folks have a full winter (weeks of sub freezing weather) there? I would think you are far enough south for that to be the case but do not know and actually, never thought of it.

I do not think Australia has a very cold winter (again, weeks of steady temps. below freezing) but actually do not know. You have me thinking about it though.

Funny thing but the UK is farther north than I am but their weather is much, much milder due to the Gulf Stream (no goodnik Brits! Still taking advantage of us colonists!).

Brian

Not cold like some of you blokes in the North of the Northern Hemisphere.  Generally only ridden through snowy areas.  Does get below 0 (celsius) overnight where I am in winter but bike snug in it's uninsulated shed.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
WAY OFFTOPIC: 

Funny thing but the UK is farther north than I am but their weather is much, much milder due to the Gulf Stream (no goodnik Brits! Still taking advantage of us colonists!).

Brian

Although neither do we get the extreme highs associated with inner continental weather patterns.

I'm in Bolton (Just outside Manchester) which at  53.5769° N is pretty much identical to Edmonton (53.5444° N)  both of which are only only slightly south of Moscow(55.7558° N) and yet apart from the odd couple of days I can ride all year round
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline banditrider

• Off for a ride
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 11:43:52 PM »
We have temps a lot cooler (and we're a lot wetter) than most of Oz - they wear jerseys when they come over here for a summer holiday ;) .  Having a cold snap here at the moment - the South Island is getting hammered and a lot of bikes will be parked up for a few months.  Not so bad where I am although I am less than an hour away from some closed roads at the moment.  I ride year round and will possibly take my Tenere up into the snow this weekend. 

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
I am the second owner...originally sold 7/7/2007.  Ten years old for sure.  Some of youall still don't understand the "Model Year" thing.

157,320 miles currently.  over 100,000 of them mine, in 3 1/2 years or so.

Bought a nice 2010 with 14000 miles on June 21.  Now showing over 18000.  Yes, I like the things.

Ahem.  Max.  Those of us who actually put miles on the things really wish it had cruise control.  I have a twist-lock throttle lock, which is about 2% as good. 

Agree with the mob about the battery.  Very ordinary, and tons of capacity in the alternator, and BS BS BS.  Blahblahblah.

dat
sax
man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
P.S.  You can get much of the "missing" ZX14 power back.  Check my sig line ... Chet (SonofPappy) did the install, but it huffs along noticeably harder than the stock ZG14 setup.

dat
sax
man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
Ahem.  Max.  Those of us who actually put miles on the things really wish it had cruise control.

Well, that is why I qualified my shorter rides as probably not needing it.  Interesting info- my car is two years NEWER than my Concours, and yet I have more miles on the Concours :)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
Well, I can say with 100% certainty that the VVT info is fullty incorrect. I''ve timed the cams, and disassembled and measured the vvt movement in degrees. This whole article is written by someone who knows nothing about the bike, but needed to get his name out there.

Misinformation is worse than no information.

Steve

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 08:21:22 AM »
Well, I can say with 100% certainty that the VVT info is fullty incorrect. I''ve timed the cams, and disassembled and measured the vvt movement in degrees. This whole article is written by someone who knows nothing about the bike, but needed to get his name out there.

Misinformation is worse than no information.

Steve

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
How many on here still have their 08's operational and still in their possession?
Me.  And a lot less miles on it than I'd like.  But it'still running fine.