Author Topic: Lid reinstall for gas tank storage bin?  (Read 6524 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Lid reinstall for gas tank storage bin?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 03:44:27 AM »
sheesh you guys really do get touchy on some subjects dont  don't you. Hell its not as though I criticized your gun usage or anything sensitive is it ;)
Speaking of touchy, how's that open borders thing working out for you folk on the island? Still liking all the diversity and such?

To the OP... you can always dump the sandwich warmer and put a late model cover on in it's place.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 04:02:02 AM »
Yeah, lots of problems with the gen. 1 glovebox but I really like mine and find it useful. Easy to open and get to things while sitting on the bike, such as the garage door opener. The second batch on the '09's are much better because they use real screws that thread into tapped holes in the steel bracket; mine is the early one that uses the coarse sheet metal screws that fasten in plastic and they strip about 8 seconds before being touched with a screwdriver. I am always wary of them when helping other people on their bikes.

OFFTOPIC: Yep, there is another touchy issue in the US right now.  ;D  I had a Dutch friend who was really NOT pleased when the EU removed all the borders between the various member countries; this was back long before the current issue of refugees, his resistance was people moving from the eastern areas of the EC to The Netherlands without any restrictions or limits. Apparently it was causing a big surge in crime in the western EU, or at least that is what I got out of it.

Brian

Speaking of touchy, how's that open borders thing working out for you folk on the island? Still liking all the diversity and such?

To the OP... you can always dump the sandwich warmer and put a late model cover on in it's place.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 04:37:42 AM »
Only got playful due to Max  making such an issue about it in the post where he posted some pictures, it didn't need the blow by blow justification (indeed its a sad day if you feel you have to justify things on a web forum) ;0

regarding Open Borders (another post) they're not really open. If I go to mainland Europe I still have to show my passport on leaving/entering the UK (ok in theory a driving licence will do in practice it's easier to use a passport)

Biggest difference is moving freely around mainland Europe once you're there, even post Brexit I doubt that will change

Back on topic, really need to get a new lid for mine, one of the locking lugs has snapped off

Yep, touchy subject right now in the US.

We have become extremely polarized in the US in the last, oh, maybe 10 years or so. There are a handful  of 'hot button' issues here, one of which is whether or not to protect intellectual properties before anything is actually done to cause any infringement. I think that is exactly why I saw the warning overlay or whatever it was when I went to that link.

Anyway, too bad it went sideways so fast in this thread and I hope there are not too many feathers ruffled on either or any side.

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 05:24:09 AM »
Only got playful due to Max making such an issue about it in the post where he posted some pictures, it didn't need the blow by blow justification

I thought being precise and yet informative would end it quickly.  You proved me wrong :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 05:51:55 AM »
I thought being precise and yet informative would end it quickly.  You proved me wrong :)
it came over as being anally retentive :D
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 07:00:13 AM »
GTRROB, do you still need more pictures?  If so, I can take mine apart and take a few for you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
One of the hooks has broken off mine (2008 ABS).  I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop (hook to break) before I repair/replace it I guess.  If there is someone out there with a reliable source of supply for a replacement cover I would appreciate the information.  Yes, it gets hot in that little cubby hole but I like the convenience for storing my kickstand load spreader, flashlight, and multi-tool.  It's really not very functional based upon its shallow depth but I found a use for it.

Offline Diablo6v

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »
I have an '09. I replaced the glove box lid and the little springs. Bought them from Ron Ayers in the OEM parts section. I think Revzilla and Bike Bandit also have a OEM parts section. If you like i can take pics. It comes in very handy. Mine is warm but not hot. Even in August in Florida. HTH

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
it came over as being anally retentive :D

And know you finally know me!  "To know me is to love me..." or something like that.  Interestingly, I couldn't find the source of that cliche.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:50:18 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »
I have an '09. I replaced the glove box lid and the little springs. Bought them from Ron Ayers in the OEM parts section. I think Revzilla and Bike Bandit also have a OEM parts section. If you like i can take pics. It comes in very handy. Mine is warm but not hot. Even in August in Florida. HTH

I found it at Bike Bandit (16146-0084). $83 + tax + S&H.  For that piece of plastic I think I'll wait for it to completely fail before I replace it.  Right now it just annoys me.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 12:48:42 AM »
I found it at Bike Bandit (16146-0084). $83 + tax + S&H.  For that piece of plastic I think I'll wait for it to completely fail before I replace it.  Right now it just annoys me.

How Much ?

ahhh you got the larger top section not just the opening lid

Lid Only
16146-0081 COVER-ASSY £ 18.60 € 20.46 $ 22.32

Cover
16146-0084 COVER-ASSY £ 61.50 € 67.65 $ 73.80

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/road-bikes.html?blockref=99912-1486.G-06&machineid=754&year=2008&model=ZG1400A8F&country=GB
--

Offline Tree

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »
How Much ?

ahhh you got the larger top section not just the opening lid

Lid Only
16146-0081 COVER-ASSY £ 18.60 € 20.46 $ 22.32

Cover
16146-0084 COVER-ASSY £ 61.50 € 67.65 $ 73.80

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/road-bikes.html?blockref=99912-1486.G-06&machineid=754&year=2008&model=ZG1400A8F&country=GB

It does pay to actually read the part description vs. just relying on a part number.  It's not terribly complex but the part numbers get a bit convoluted: 16146 / 16146A, -0081 / 0084.  Then the drawing doesn't help when the arrow is pointing in the general direction of something, or worse, the drawing and description contradict.

$26 sounds much better for the actual piece that I need (Bike Bandit).  The one from Kawasakioriginalparts.com is less expensive but it ships from GB I think.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I've made similar mistakes with these drawings before.  I ordered a screw and received a nut, paid more for S&H than the actual part because I didn't want to be pulled into the "spend an additional $40 and get FREE shipping" trap.

Jon

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 07:29:57 PM »
Did you get the glove box back together on your bike?

Yep, the gen. 1 glove box is delicate and pretty cheesy; mine broke shortly after I bought the bike and a lot of them never did work quite right from brand new.

If you did not get yours together, I can take a look at mine and maybe take a photo or two that may help. I have not looked at mine in so long I just cannot remember how it goes together other than it can go together incorrectly and is really easy to break.

Let us know and I think we can get some more info. to you about it.

Brian

I did not put it together yet. I am messing with it now. The pics provided so far are not as helpful as I want. The spring doesn't seem to want to "stretch" over the humps i. The hinge if you will. If someone could take a few minutes to provide some decent pics from their own bike that would be greatly appreciated. I will keep fiddlong with it.