Author Topic: How much power can the stock ('08 C14) clutch handle?  (Read 9391 times)

Offline ThrottleJock

Re: How much power can the stock ('08 C14) clutch handle?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 06:22:46 AM »
More show n tell: ZX14 tb's with secondaries out, muzzy's full 2-into-1, and 10R front wheel mostly cause I like the way they look

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 06:23:24 AM »
 8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 06:37:43 AM »
C14 or zx injectors?

That wheel would look good with a shorty fender.

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 06:59:42 AM »
ZX injectors, I took a gamble there since it's firing down smaller ports and with a milder cam, but we'll see.

I like the look of the 10R fender conversions but I'm having trouble justifying $50 for the brackets. Might make my own.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
Would love to see you run. Fastest bagger on the track I would bet.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
Dayum. 

I like the ZX14 TBs and full exhaust just fine.  Might need some boost too...

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
Whelp, there's STILL a nationwide shortage of giggle gas... I found one guy who would sell me 2.5lbs of his personal stash so I could do the tune... for $20/pound! **** that! For those of you who don't know, nitrous should be about $4/pound. An Airgas plant in FL blew up in January and they're still playing catch up. So nitrous is on the back burner. I've decided to turn my attention to the suspension and brakes. Step one: Ohlins shock on the way

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
Small thing, but I added a few "old man" stickers to further solidify the sleeper status. Going to need a new plate though, that one's a carryover from my KTM 950SM (sloooow in comparison).

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »
So lonely. So empty. :(
15 pound fill bottle waiting patiently for nitrous commodity to return to a reasonable market value.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
Small thing, but I added a few "old man" stickers to further solidify the sleeper status. Going to need a new plate though, that one's a carryover from my KTM 950SM (sloooow in comparison).

LOL
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
So lonely. So empty. :(
15 pound fill bottle waiting patiently for nitrous commodity to return to a reasonable market value.
What about the dentist?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »
What about the dentist?

I was thinking the same thing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 04:17:19 AM »
Only because I have noticed it being mentioned in this thread.........

...... you are aware that the C14 has Cast Pistons and the ZX14 has Forged Pistons, right?
(you most likely already know, but I just wanted to make sure)

Either way, I do hope that things go better than expected.............  :popcorn:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
Any further word on your N02 system? How do you like the new shock? What are you planning for the forks?
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »
Still not readily available around here so it may turn into a springtime thing. Money's spent, I've got all the components, just need to give 'er the gas and have it dyno tuned.

The shock is awesome. I did 218mi up in the mountains this weekend and after a little dial spinning it handles much better. Proper spring rate makes all the difference too. The bike no longer bucks or wallows, it just takes a set and tracks like a champ. The front end is the limiting factor now. Too soft, too much weight transfer and monkey motion. I actually began to tuck the front twice but scrubbed enough speed to ride out of it. Thats the beauty of street tires... they may not be as sticky but they're generally very forgiving with a lot of notice before they let go. I also found where this bike drags second on the right side... the exhaust midpipe. Pegs touch down first (feelers removed), then the midpipe drags. I started hanging off more when I noticed that. Hate to drag a hole in my Muzzy.

So the plan for the fork is a set of springs and a drop-in cartridge, 20mm or bigger if we can get one to fit. I need to do a little research.

Still loving the bike. It's outrageous to me how rapid it is for being as enormous as it is.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.
Surely you jest. If I could get gas from the dentist...  Cute, Guys.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline 1 wheel peel

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
ZX injectors, I took a gamble there since it's firing down smaller ports and with a milder cam, but we'll see.....

They'll do fine.  I ran 44mm Gen1 ZX TB & injectors on mine.  Didn't help much down low but it sure did scream in the upper RPM's.  Sold it to my brother he's still running them.  No giggle juice though.

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 06:46:23 PM »
Speak his name, and he shall appear! Eventually.

Stock clutch will work just fine, but I highly recommend stronger hat springs. At about 6psi I would drive through the clutch between shifts... better springs alone would let it handle 9psi, 2-up, with a weeks worth of baggage. :) For reference, 6psi is about 40% more power than stock, 9psi is more than 60%. I have found that the judder/back-torque-limiting springs don't like abuse though... they will break eventually. Clutch still works just fine when it happens, but it does make downshifting a finer art. :)

...pistons are in fact cast, but they are plenty strong, so long as you don't detonate the thing. Keep the shot under 35whp, and you should be ok. Anything more and you'd want to start altering your timing a little bit to help out. I ran a .032 jet on my zx10R, completely stock, and it made about +38whp, and we tuned it from a flat 13.0:1 to 12.5:1 on the spray. worked well.

....the only bad news is that a 30 shot isn't going to be all that impressive on the Connie. She's heavy, and you're not having the same dramatic affect on the power to weight ratio like you are the supersports. That said, have at!! It's fun to see connies haul ass. :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 07:07:52 PM »
Spaz, good to hear from you. What's your wheels these days?

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
Spaz, good to hear from you. What's your wheels these days?

Still rockin' the C14 pretty much every day... bike just refuses to quit. :) I did put the turbo 10R together as a land speed bike... went out to Speed Week/BUB's @ Bonneville last year and knocked down a soft AMA record. Took it out to El mirage and did the same, but they wouldn't make it official there because of my first time/rookie status (this year though in May, so long as nothing hideous happens, I'll go make it official). I will be working on a custom framed/turbo ZX powered 1000cc bike this year just for the Salt/El Mirage... that should be a riot! Long, low, heavy, and maybe 400ish horsepower?? I'm kind of excited on this one. :)