Author Topic: C14 Lowering Questions  (Read 2492 times)

Offline TAL2013C14

C14 Lowering Questions
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
Hello Folks,

I’ve been reading posts about lowering the C14, and it’s been awhile since a “fresh” post has been started, and since I’m a new C14 owner (just over 1000 miles), I figured I’d start my own.  (2013 C14 with 1015 miles)

For starters I’m 5’8” with a 31.5” actual inseam.
At stop lights the balls of my feet are firmly on the ground, however, I can see the advantage of being flat footed while stopped.  Especially on gravel, uneven pavement, or trying to push the bike backwards on an incline.

My two previous bikes were flat footed, knees bent, at the red light, cruisers.  Unfortunately, cruisers don’t offer the “fun”, that the C14 does.

I’m considering either the T-Rex lowering links, or the ProjektD lowering links.  Mainly because I want to retain the center stand, and I don’t see myself “adjusting” the height once the bike is lowered.
I do have a Corbin two piece seat, that although I’m not sure it’s actually any lower, to me it feels lower because it’s less bulky than the stock seat.

I’m interested in hearing from people who have lower their C14…and from people who maybe think it’s not a good idea.

Was it a difficult job?
Did it change the handling of the bike (for better of worse)?

Has anybody start from “balls of the feet” when stopped?  Where did you end up after lowering links?
Are handlebar risers required when lowering the front end to match the rear?

I’m looking forward to your replies, opinions, advice, and experiences!

Thanks,
Tim

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: C14 Lowering Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
Just an offhand question...When stopped do you stand outside the pegs or do you fold them with your legs and move your feet in closer?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
Just passing this along but I believe a Corbin is about the lowest saddle you will find for a C-14.

I know this does not address your actual lowering questions but thought I would let you know you already have the low saddle so you do not waste your time and especially, money, looking for anything lower.

Best of luck on the mechanical lowering part; I cannot help you out on that one as mine is stock.

Brian

Hello Folks,

I’ve been reading posts about lowering the C14, and it’s been awhile since a “fresh” post has been started, and since I’m a new C14 owner (just over 1000 miles), I figured I’d start my own.  (2013 C14 with 1015 miles)

At stop lights the balls of my feet are firmly on the ground, however, I can see the advantage of being flat footed while stopped.  Especially on gravel, uneven pavement, or trying to push the bike backwards on an incline.

My two previous bikes were flat footed, knees bent, at the red light, cruisers.  Unfortunately, cruisers don’t offer the “fun”, that the C14 does.

I’m considering either the T-Rex lowering links, or the ProjektD lowering links.  Mainly because I want to retain the center stand, and I don’t see myself “adjusting” the height once the bike is lowered.
I do have a Corbin two piece seat, that although I’m not sure it’s actually any lower, to me it feels lower because it’s less bulky than the stock seat.

I’m interested in hearing from people who have lower their C14…and from people who maybe think it’s not a good idea.

Was it a difficult job?

Has anybody start from “balls of the feet” when stopped?  Where did you end up after lowering links?

Thanks,
Tim
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »
Just an offhand question...When stopped do you stand outside the pegs or do you fold them with your legs and move your feet in closer?

I never gave that any thought, I stand outside the pegs.  I will try folding them with my legs next time I ride.
Thanks!

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »
Just passing this along but I believe a Corbin is about the lowest saddle you will find for a C-14.

I know this does not address your actual lowering questions but thought I would let you know you already have the low saddle so you do not waste your time and especially, money, looking for anything lower.

Best of luck on the mechanical lowering part; I cannot help you out on that one as mine is stock.

Brian

I thought the Corbin seat felt worlds different than the stock seat, I'm sure the lowering aspect helps in my overall comfort.
Thanks for the feedback!  It will keep me from seeking a "lower" sitting seat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 04:27:16 PM »

You can, but it won't change much :)
If you have not, please read this thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0

You are 1" taller standing, and 1.5 to 2" longer legs than me... so nothing you can experience will be worse than mine and few people will have more interest in this topic (and done more research) than me   :)  Without lowering the bike and seat and getting taller boots, I simply would not be able to ride the Concours safely.

Just know that although the center stand can still be used, it will be very difficult.  I find I have to ride the rear wheel onto a 2x6 first to help.

The shape of a seat can have a lot to do with how high it feels and and much USABLE leg you can place on the ground.  For example, a low seat that is still wide, will push hard on your inner thigh and make it difficult to place shorter legs the required amount of "straight down".  That said, the lowest non-custom seat I know of is the Sargent low (which is what I ended up with).

I’m interested in hearing from people who have lower their C14…

Other thread...

and from people who maybe think it’s not a good idea.

Done correctly, it is a fine idea.  Even a necessary idea for some.

Was it a difficult job?

Nope, not really

There is nothing you can do with lowering/raising the actual bike that won't affect the handling at least some (adjusting the seat won't, of course).   If you lower the back AND THE FRONT by the same actual amount, it will minimize any negative handing issues and retain as much of the original handling as possible.  Remember geometry:  lowing the front by 1" means raising the forks MORE than 1" (it is a triangle).

I went from barely even toes on two feet, to maybe balls of both feet.  And can fairly comfortably flat foot on the right side [ONLY] at lights.

Yes, as reported in the other thread, you must install handlebar risers.  But you will want those, anyway (since when you have shorter legs, you almost always have shorter arms too).

Go for it.  But I do not recommend attempting to lower the actual bike by more than 1".  Some people might push it to 1.5", but there isn't enough lower clearance and suspension clearance to accommodate much.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »
You can, but it won't change much :)
If you have not, please read this thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0

Thanks maxtog.  I've read your thread, tons of good information!
I just wanted to start a new thread to see what new experiences are out there, if any.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 05:06:03 PM »
to see what new experiences are out there, if any.

Not much that I have seen posted anywhere.  But it really isn't rocket science.  So your assignment is to get started, order your stuff, and lower that sucker!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 06:30:54 PM »
Not much that I have seen posted anywhere.  But it really isn't rocket science.  So your assignment is to get started, order your stuff, and lower that sucker!

maxtog,

I ordered the T-Rex lowering links & kickstand, and Murphs' bar risers.
I've been watching YouTube videos on lowering forks, and it looks pretty straightforward.

I think the hardest part may be ciphering the amount to lower the front end. :doh:
Any tips for doing the math?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
maxtog,

I ordered the T-Rex lowering links & kickstand, and Murphs' bar risers.
I've been watching YouTube videos on lowering forks, and it looks pretty straightforward.

I think the hardest part may be ciphering the amount to lower the front end. :doh:
Any tips for doing the math?

Well, in other thread
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.msg1998#msg1998

Some math and we determined that to match the rear drop of 1", we would have to raise the tubes 1 1/8",

But you need to verify the exact drop of the back on YOUR bike FIRST and match that drop- you can't assume it will be an inch.

Measure the rear BEFORE doing any work; it will take two people.  Bounce on the bike some (to normalize/relax the suspension).  Have someone hold the bike up straight.  Then drop a plum line through the center of the rear wheel axle, measure from the ground to somewhere known on the frame or body that intersects the plum line.  Replace the rear link.  Then bounce on it a lot and then repeat the procedure and subtract the two and you then know how much you lowered the rear.  Lower the front by the same amount.

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »
I installed the T-Rex lowering links today.
The T-Rex links lowered the rear between 1-1/8" & 1-1/4", so I lowered the fork tubes 1-1/4".
Now it's time to set up the suspension.