Author Topic: Is the weather a British obsession ? (Hurricane Harvey)  (Read 2954 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Is the weather a British obsession ? (Hurricane Harvey)
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:12:21 AM »
little bit surprised noones mentioned the record rainfall levels in Texas .
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Is the weather a British obsession ? (Hurricane Harvey)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 04:27:22 AM »
And it's still raining..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 05:07:26 AM »
and heading for Louisiana
--

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
Weather in Austin has been great. Even on the weekend we had a LOT of rain but it cooled everything down. And since then has been beautiful.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:47:33 AM »
little bit surprised noones mentioned the record rainfall levels in Texas .

I think most of us want to say something but it's just too damn sad.  My heart goes out to my fellow human beings.  What they have gone through and will go through for the next several years is truly heart breaking.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
When Brits obsess about the weather its just the dilemma of needing parasols and galoshes for the day.  ;D
Everything is bigger in Texas.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 03:46:27 PM »
I've heard it said that we Canadians obsess about the weather, but in February up here, there's not always too much else to talk about...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
A weather thread in a ZG/GTR Fanatics forum?  OK.  I'm good with that.  I have a new appreciation weather as it applies to the UK.  Having taken a closer look at the globe...  I don't know the exact numbers but the UK is seriously up there in Latitude.  And to think my ancestors wore things called Kilts only brings it home for me.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »
A weather thread in a ZG/GTR Fanatics forum?  OK.  I'm good with that.  I have a new appreciation weather as it applies to the UK.  Having taken a closer look at the globe...  I don't know the exact numbers but the UK is seriously up there in Latitude.  And to think my ancestors wore things called Kilts only brings it home for me.

and yet thanks mainly to the Gulf stream we dont have the extreme cold temperatures other places on the same or even lower latitudes suffer from

We also only get the tail end fallout from Hurricanes such as Harvey, major meteorolical events are rare although not unknown

--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »
It does not get that cold in the UK and rarely snows, at least in the main parts of England for example. But I do not think it snows much even in the highlands of Scotland though I am sure Mike will be along to comment on that.

The Gulf Stream keeps the UK very steady in temperature considering where it is located (in the world). It does not get overly hot either, or again, at least not very often.

I think English weather goes from a 'little chilly' to 'a tad warm' and that is about it. I had a very good English friend who used to stay with us for several weeks at a time and one time in June, we had to use both the A/C and burn wood for heat in the same week and he was quite impressed with that; and it really was not overly hot or overly cold.

And I think the Scots wear kilts 'cause they did not want to bother trying to figure out how to make pants; compared to a 'skirt', a pair of pants really is quite complex, and the crotches can be downright tricky (C'mon Boys, most of us have run into a tricky crotch at some point.....).

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 02:29:05 PM »
It does not get that cold in the UK and rarely snows, at least in the main parts of England for example. But I do not think it snows much even in the highlands of Scotland though I am sure Mike will be along to comment on that.

The Gulf Stream keeps the UK very steady in temperature considering where it is located (in the world). It does not get overly hot either, or again, at least not very often.

I think English weather goes from a 'little chilly' to 'a tad warm' and that is about it. I had a very good English friend who used to stay with us for several weeks at a time and one time in June, we had to use both the A/C and burn wood for heat in the same week and he was quite impressed with that; and it really was not overly hot or overly cold.

And I think the Scots wear kilts 'cause they did not want to bother trying to figure out how to make pants; compared to a 'skirt', a pair of pants really is quite complex, and the crotches can be downright tricky (C'mon Boys, most of us have run into a tricky crotch at some point.....).

Brian

A kilt makes it a lot easer to to go #2 out in the moors... just saying.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »

So you're saying that those Highlands bogs are more poop than peat?  ;D
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
So you're saying that those Highlands Logs are more poop than peat?  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »
Last time I was in the UK (Fall of 1968) nearly caught pneumonia and died the weather was so awful.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 07:13:34 PM »
What was it.... like 58F and cloudy?

Brian

Last time I was in the UK (Fall of 1968) nearly caught pneumonia and died the weather was so awful.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 08:31:02 PM »

It's called a "kilt" because that's what they did to the last guy who called it a "skirt".

Capt. Sir Richard Francis Burton was supposed to have said:  "The kilt is the perfect garment for sex and diarrhea."
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 02:51:02 AM »
It has been said that the U.K enjoys 6 months of bad weather and 6 months of winter   ;) 

Here in Northern Ireland it rains....................................a lot

Back to the O.P my heart goes out to those communities affected by the catastrophic weather conditions, I have personally experienced severe flooding in the U.K several years ago, where my friend woke up to find 3 feet of water in his living room and his furniture floating literally around, it took 10 months before his home was considered safe/fit to re occupy !

These actual images give some idea of the devastation caused by those severe weather conditions that we experienced...maybe on a smaller scale but non the less totally devastating

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lake+district+floods&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidqoKPzYPWAhVRIlAKHVXzDF8QsAQITQ&biw=1920&bih=950
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »
 ;D   Nah, cold and rainy for about 2 weeks.