Author Topic: huge Equifax data hack  (Read 9322 times)

Offline Conrad

huge Equifax data hack
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:18:18 AM »
143 million folks potentially effected by this (including me it seems).

Here's the story.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/pf/victim-equifax-hack-how-to-find-out/index.html?iid=EL

There are links in the story above so that you can check to see if you're potentially effected. Last name and the last 6 of your SSN are required. You will be offered a year of free credit monitoring regardless.

Another story.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/143-million-peoples-social-security-numbers-were-exposed-in-the-equifax-hack-%E2%80%94-heres-how-to-check-if-youre-one-of-them/ar-AArttN0?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: huge Equifax data hack
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:18 AM »
Credit monitoring is not credit fixing if the hack causes you problems.

That's funny... send the info that the hackers want to a credit monitoring company that just got hacked so they can tell you if the info that was stolen in the hack will affect your credit rating if it is used by the hackers. Did they hack themselves?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
Credit monitoring is not credit fixing if the hack causes you problems. 

No ****! The monitoring is so that you can see if there's an issue. It's awful hard to fix an issue that you don't know exists, don't you think?

That's funny... send the info that the hackers want to a credit monitoring company that just got hacked so they can tell you if the info that was stolen in the hack will affect your credit rating if it is used by the hackers. Did they hack themselves?   

Yep, they hacked themselves so that they can get info that they already have and so that you can send your info in to them that they also already have.     ::)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
 :yikes: :deadhorse: :loco: :nuts:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »
Wow, looks like The Dickhead pissed in somebodies Wheaties. Here's a hand full of smilies, winkies and nanas to brighten your day.... :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) :banana :banana :banana

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
"The company suggests you sign up for credit file monitoring and identity theft protection. It is providing free service for one year through TrustedID Premier -- whether or not you've been affected by the breach."

Standard practice for building your business: Give potential customers a "free" trial.

Is Equifax a piece of s**t company?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
"Credit monitoring" is not only pretty much useless, it is a scam to try and get people to sign-up for a very profitable service.  Most of them have draconian "auto-renewal" after the "free trial" or "free year" and they count on people forgetting to cancel and or being scared.  The services can't and don't stop any abuse, but just allow you to SEE what is on your credit report and some will attempt to notify you when it is accessed.  Both require you to take quick action, do something, fight things, etc.

If you really want to protect your identity and credit, then it requires "locking" or "freezing" your credit reports.  That didn't used to be possible, but now it is.  But rather than making it easy and centralized, one has to enroll/setup AND pay about $10 to each of the 3 agencies.

http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Of course, you then have "thaw" them if you ever apply for credit or need your credit score checked by any company that requires a credit check before opening an account or doing business.  That even means things that have NOTHING to do with opening a new line of credit, for example: enrolling in cell phone service, opening a bank account, being hired by some employers, getting certain types of licenses, getting utilities turned on (water/electric/gas), etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
If you really want to protect your identity and credit, ...

I don't believe there is a 100% sure fire way  to do that.

Unfortunately it seems the best anybody could do is deal in all cash, no cards, no credit, no electronic anything. And if you could somehow separate from having a SS number. You know, like an illegal immigrant.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
There's another aspect to it - be part of a class action lawsuit.

My data were stolen as part of the Anthem breach not quite 3 years ago. The @#$#birds filed a bogus income tax report to IRS, and when I came along 3 months after that and filed the real return, IRS rejected it. It didn't take long to get all that straightened out with IRS (I had to pay a little bit of money that year and did not expect a refund) but the class action lawsuit will rip a few million $$ out of Anthem for having extremely lax security measures that allowed the hackers free rein.

Of course it takes years for the lawsuit to come about, as it will in the next couple of months for the Anthem debacle.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »
I don't believe there is a 100% sure fire way  to do that.

There isn't, but it is probably the most effective thing any of us could do (in addition to following common-sense stuff).

Unfortunately it seems the best anybody could do is deal in all cash, no cards, no credit, no electronic anything. And if you could somehow separate from having a SS number. You know, like an illegal immigrant.

Well, that is a world where you couldn't hardly buy anything, live anywhere, or work anywhere.  Might be too difficult for most.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 05:51:05 AM »
"equifaxsecurity2017.com site is completely broken at best, and little more than a stalling tactic or sham at worst. In the early hours after the breach announcement, the site was being flagged by various browsers as a phishing threat. In some cases, people visiting the site were told they were not affected, only to find they received a different answer when they checked the site with the same information on their mobile phones.   It's clear Equifax's goal isn't to protect the consumer or bring them vital information. It's to get you to sign up for its revenue-generating product TrustID."

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/equifax-breach-response-turns-dumpster-fire/

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 05:59:49 AM »
"equifaxsecurity2017.com site is completely broken at best, and little more than a stalling tactic or sham at worst. In the early hours after the breach announcement, the site was being flagged by various browsers as a phishing threat. In some cases, people visiting the site were told they were not affected, only to find they received a different answer when they checked the site with the same information on their mobile phones.   It's clear Equifax's goal isn't to protect the consumer or bring them vital information. It's to get you to sign up for its revenue-generating product TrustID."

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/equifax-breach-response-turns-dumpster-fire/
::)  8)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 07:03:57 AM »

Excellent find, Max. Thanks for posting.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 08:09:54 AM »
"Credit monitoring" is not only pretty much useless, it is a scam to try and get people to sign-up for a very profitable service.  Most of them have draconian "auto-renewal" after the "free trial" or "free year" and they count on people forgetting to cancel and or being scared.  The services can't and don't stop any abuse, but just allow you to SEE what is on your credit report and some will attempt to notify you when it is accessed.  Both require you to take quick action, do something, fight things, etc.

If you really want to protect your identity and credit, then it requires "locking" or "freezing" your credit reports.  That didn't used to be possible, but now it is.  But rather than making it easy and centralized, one has to enroll/setup AND pay about $10 to each of the 3 agencies.

http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Of course, you then have "thaw" them if you ever apply for credit or need your credit score checked by any company that requires a credit check before opening an account or doing business.  That even means things that have NOTHING to do with opening a new line of credit, for example: enrolling in cell phone service, opening a bank account, being hired by some employers, getting certain types of licenses, getting utilities turned on (water/electric/gas), etc.

And don't forget, if you have a security freeze (credit freeze) applied to your accounts after paying the fee and then you need to 'thaw' your accounts for whatever reason, you'll have to pay the fee all over again to have them frozen.

That said, I'll be freezing all my accounts this week.

There's some good info here.  http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/09/pf/what-to-do-equifax-hack/index.html

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
And don't forget, if you have a security freeze (credit freeze) applied to your accounts after paying the fee and then you need to 'thaw' your accounts for whatever reason, you'll have to pay the fee all over again to have them frozen.

Actually, I checked two of the agencies and neither (in VA anyway) have fees to temporarily or permanently unfreeze.  So check it closely.  In 3 [stupid] States, the freeze only lasts 7 years, in the others, "forever."  $30 to freeze doesn't seem that bad if it is just a one-time expense.

That said, I'll be freezing all my accounts this week.

I will admit I have not done so, although I probably should.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »
I just tried to get my credit reports online from this site, https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

You're supposed to be able to get access to all three of your reports via the above site. Once you enter your personal info they ask you for some additional identifiers. Questions like license plate numbers or where were you living in 2001. I was able to get only one report because the other two agencies apparently have incorrect info listed for me. Catch 22. 

It seems that I was living in another state back in 2001, who knew? Somehow they crossed my oldest son's records with mine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 05:40:34 AM »
The original URL in the articles this thread pointed to are correct/real.  The problem is that it is a stupid, stupid, stupid domain name and LOOKS fake and it is easy for scammers to then register other variants of that name to fool people.

They should have used ONLY the main equifax.com domain like this:  https://equifax.com/security2017

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »
shoulda coulda woulda

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »
Budda
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.