Author Topic: Motorcycle Tunes  (Read 5538 times)

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Motorcycle Tunes
« on: September 08, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
Last month I installed an audio system on my C14.

I have a system on my C10 that has been going strong now for at least 5 years with only one speaker going bad after 4 or so years.  That system was only 200W or 250W and after around 75 mph got hard to listen to.

The new one on the C14 is a 800W system and when played loud sounds much better, it's been taken to triple digits and can still be listened to.

https://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/products/shkc7120-2ch-class-d-motorcycle-audio-system-800-watts-2-remotes.html
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Motorcycle Tunes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »
I can't imagine trying to listen to external speakers on a motorcycle with a proper, full-face helmet and earplugs (especially when it is hot and using the short windscreen)!  Besides, it would blast everyone else.  Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, more effective, more polite, and sound a lot better to use in-helmet speakers or earphones?  You can even go wireless now!  (Although the Sena works GREAT for music, it sucks that you can't use it for intercom AND music at the same time, so I still have to wear earphones).

Looks like you are using a Sandisk Sansa/Clip- I love mine, use it around the house and when doing yard work and such.   I think they don't make them anymore :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:11:38 AM »
Not a Scandisc clip, it's a AGPTECH 8 gig that will accept a 64 gig micro card.

And the external speakers are easy to hear when you don't wear a helmet, but I only do that when I ride in N.H.
Normally I wear a 1/2 helmet with a Sena SPH10H like this ... https://www.sena.com/product/sph10h-fm/

I never listen to it so loud that it would bother anyone, I want to be able to hear what's going on around me.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
That's pretty interesting, and I love having a kick butt stereo in my vehicle. But on a bike why not just pipe the tunes through your intercom speakers at a reasonabl(y low) volume?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
... is a 800W system and when played loud sounds much better, it's been taken to triple digits and can still be listened to.

I never listen to it so loud that it would bother anyone, I want to be able to hear what's going on around me.

Uh huh.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »
Uh huh.

Marty, the only time I listen to it at any volume that would bother anyone is when I'm doing 70 mph or better down the highway, and with the wind and traffic noise at those speeds even if you were in your car right next to me, with your windows down, I'm betting the traffic noise would bother you more than my music ... unless you didn't like the song I was playing.

I always turn it down when I slow down, when I'm at a stop, I'd bet that most people in there cars are listening to there radios almost as loud as I am listening to mine.

Offline xsv

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 10:05:08 PM »
(Although the Sena works GREAT for music, it sucks that you can't use it for intercom AND music at the same time, so I still have to wear earphones)

Uh oh...looks like it is time for an upgrade :)

IT MULTITASKS, SO YOU CAN CONCENTRATE ON THE MOST IMPORTANT TASK

Choose what you want to hear with Audio Multitasking™

Sena 20S Audio Multitasking™ technology allows you to have an intercom conversation while simultaneously listening to music, FM radio, or GPS. No longer do users have to deal with the frustrations of interruption-based audio functions of past Bluetooth communication devices, the 20S’ universal intercom is the perfect solution. Now audio features won’t interrupt each other but simply overlay for a smooth listening experience. Enrich your ride with interweaving audio sources.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 05:38:01 AM »
Uh oh...looks like it is time for an upgrade :)

IT MULTITASKS, SO YOU CAN CONCENTRATE ON THE MOST IMPORTANT TASK

Choose what you want to hear with Audio Multitasking™

Sena 20S Audio Multitasking™ technology allows you to have an intercom conversation while simultaneously listening to music, FM radio, or GPS. No longer do users have to deal with the frustrations of interruption-based audio functions of past Bluetooth communication devices, the 20S’ universal intercom is the perfect solution. Now audio features won’t interrupt each other but simply overlay for a smooth listening experience. Enrich your ride with interweaving audio sources.

Yep, that sounds good and my wallet is itching.  BUT, can I listen to music ALONE without it contaminating other people?   With the SMH-10, if I play music, it immediately broadcasts it to everyone else!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline xsv

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:40:36 AM »
Yep, that sounds good and my wallet is itching.  BUT, can I listen to music ALONE without it contaminating other people?   With the SMH-10, if I play music, it immediately broadcasts it to everyone else!

Yes, the intercom can be open and you can listen to music without others hearing it.  Now if you start singing because you forgot that the intercom was open, well that is a bit embarrassing, but since the music fades out you only get a few words out before realizing :)
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:25:20 AM »
I think that 800w is like the old amps I would see at the flea market that were labeled as 2000w and were under $100 and smaller than a book. It isn't feasible.

The specs do list 80w (per channel) RMS, which is much more believable from something that size. I do like that the amp/controller is nice and small. Have you tried just loading all your music onto an SD card and using that in the AMP/controller instead of using your AGPTECH? Just wondering what the advantage of using the AGPTECH is over the SD card slot.

Regardless, if you are happy with it, go for it. I have my Sena (not the new one that allows music and conversations at the same time, but it works for me and allows me to hear the music with my full face helmet and custom earplugs in.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »
I think that 800w is like the old amps I would see at the flea market that were labeled as 2000w and were under $100 and smaller than a book. It isn't feasible.  The specs do list 80w (per channel) RMS, which is much more believable from something that size.

Yeah, there are a lot of "creative" specs out there, which I think of as just lies.  Watts are watts.  Voltage times amperage.  800 watts is 67 Amps at 12V.  That is not happening on a stock motorcycle, period.

And, um, here is their "2000 watt" version:  https://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/products/amp7800n-2000-watt-4-1-ch-motorcycle-marine-amplifier-fm-large-lcd-w-waterproof-case-2-remotes.html?

Which would require up to 167 amps.   Oh, and if you think you really can find such an alternator, here is a "3000 watt" version:  https://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/products/3000-watt-7-1-ch-motorcycle-marine-amplifier-fm-large-lcd-w-waterproof-case-2-remotes.html

which would require up to 250 amps.

:o

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »
Watts on cheap systems are measured peak to peak. So cut it in half, then knock off another 30 percent, and you're close to RMS. But they still lie.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »
Watts on cheap systems are measured peak to peak. So cut it in half, then knock off another 30 percent, and you're close to RMS.

Even with that formula, their "3000 Watt" unit designed "for motorcycles" would be 1050 "watts" which would require 88 Amps.  Something doesn't compute.  You can't get more power out of a system than is put into a system.

But they still lie.

Indeed

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 05:58:17 AM »

Have you tried just loading all your music onto an SD card and using that in the AMP/controller instead of using your AGPTECH? Just wondering what the advantage of using the AGPTECH is over the SD card slot.

I haven't tried using the SD card slot yet but that might be a good option for when the MP3 player battery runs down.

The MP3 player and the phone give me the ability to shuffle through my music, not sure if the SD card could do that.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
You can't get more power out of a system than is put into a system.

Supporters of ethanol and electric cars don't understand that simple fact. I would include universal health care in that statement, but don't wanna get political, so I won't.  :P  :thumbs:

(actually you can take it further: You can't get even get the same power out of a system that is put into a system)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »
(actually you can take it further: You can't get even get the same power out of a system that is put into a system)

That is also true because it would imply perfect conversion and/or perpetual motion

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 07:14:49 AM »
You can't get even get the same power out of a system that is put into a system

That is also true because it would imply perfect conversion and/or perpetual motion
Oh Yeah?!... well what about this then:

Of course it will only work for those that are smart enough to drill holes in their iPhone 7 to restore the headphone jack.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »
Oh Yeah?!... well what about this then:

Of course it will only work for those that are smart enough to drill holes in their iPhone 7 to restore the headphone jack.

Fantastic!! This changes everything!