Author Topic: HELP! Valve adjustment gone bad  (Read 2045 times)

Offline rmiller511

HELP! Valve adjustment gone bad
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am in a real jam with this.  I only have my bike and that's it, no car, so I am stranded.

Was doing a valve adjustment and tighten the #2 inlet nut and ended up stripping it.  A friend told me the nut was a 7mm x 1mm pitch and was lucky enough to have a friend pick some up from me in a town about an hour away.

Got the nuts, which were regular steel, and the pitch was wrong.  1mm looks like a course thread whereas the threads on the adjustment stem look very fine.

This is a serious problem for me.  I live out in nowhere and the only person I knew that could take me around just walked out on his girlfiend and left for Florida, so I am stranded, and this is SERIOUS bad.

So, a few questions: 

1) what is the correct size nut?

2) what is the liablilty of driving the bike without that one adjustment screw?

3) could I use red loctite to hold it in place temporarily? 

I have another parts bike in Houston - 8 hours away.  I have no time (and no money) to wait for a bike bandit order to arrive.  Im thinking about simply putting it back together and heading to Houston, and if I have to, swap engines.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

Offline rmiller511

Re: HELP! Valve adjustment gone bad
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:11:42 PM »
BTW - Im not new, I have 1000's of posts on COG, I'm just sick and tired of the login problems there.  I can still log into this site, though.

Im Rick, Rickm and Texson on COG.

Thanks, everyone.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 05:55:24 AM »
Welcome.   Someone should be around soon to help.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:08:53 AM »
I would not trust loctite to hold stripped nut. 
Order one shipped overnight, kaw brand if u cant find comparable aftermarket. I would think this is at least a grade 5 equiv nut, or higher.

Not sure if there would be any mechanical consequences from running without intake valve opening other than reduced power.  Lean condition maybe cause now only getting 50% of intake area, but the inflow rate would probably increase to make up some of that. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline rmiller511

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I have 2 nuts being shipped to me Monday morning.

I used some fine steel wool shavings and red loctite, put the bike back together and test road it last night - babying it all the way.  Took it apart once home and everything looked ok.  But this is just a band-aid.  I have to make a 2 hour trip to help a friend in dire need.