Author Topic: Bike up on lift ready for major change!!!  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Ghost Rider 2

Bike up on lift ready for major change!!!
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:21:47 PM »
   Well my C14 is up on lift and getting ready to be transformed.  This summer I have been riding very hard on my Goldwing. I have over 15,000 miles on a car tire on my wing and I love it.  Never had a bike that responded as well.  Handling is unbelievable.  I have a Pirelli 205 50 17 that will be on the Connie tomorrow. I think it will be great but only time will tell.  Will post back here in a couple of days as to how well or not it works on this bike.  I have looked around and have found that most Connie riders do not believe in a CT.  I was that way for years on the same opinion with a Goldwing until I tried it for myself.  I just cant wait to ride the Connie on a Wonky tire.

Offline Conniesaki

Re: Bike up on lift ready for major change!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »
You, sir, are mad whack! ... just like your car tire brethren!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:52:11 PM »
No comment...

(Well, I guess saying "no comment" is, itself, a comment)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:26:24 PM »
I think a 205/45-17 would give a tad more clearance while maintain other requirements.   ;D
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 01:20:32 AM »
they're called car tyres for a  reason ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 06:13:44 AM »
Tip of the hat to the OP. Am looking forward to a detailed report on his experience doing this. I have gone to the darkside for the past few years on my other bike (a middle-weight V-twin) which admittedly is used for more leisurely rides than the C14. No problems with the handling and love not having to change tires every year. Are those run-flat Pirelli that you are using? I'm wondering if the stiffer sidewalls are better or worse for a motorcycle.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 07:06:24 AM »

:popcorn:     Can you provide pictures?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »
Once you join the Darkside who knows what's next.....
http://youtu.be/cnVjkE87FDY

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:36:08 AM »
Dammit, you've gone and uncovered my daily morning ritual.  ;D
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
A a Wing owner, I've been considering a car tire also. Just wore out a pair of B-stones in one 4+ week trip. What did you have on the wing?? The size mentioned is, I assume, for the C-14?
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »
  It is on.  I just went out made a 10 mile shake down, came back and checked things over all looked good.  Went back out and ran 50 miles.  did not push bike real hard just enjoying the ride.  Did a combination of country roads, state highways, and Interstate.  YES  I like it.  I figure right now I have 1 of the dozen best riding and handling Connies in the country. The others have a car tire too!  It rides smooth and handles better than any Connie I have owned.  This is my third 1400 and I had 3 1000's.  I will say this is not for everyone.  It is different especially at slow speeds. Rear tire will chase grooves and risers in roads at slow to stopping speeds.  I might be a CVRAZY old man.  But I sure have a big smile on my face right now!  Pics very soon.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
  It is on.  I just went out made a 10 mile shake down, came back and checked things over all looked good.  Went back out and ran 50 miles.  did not push bike real hard just enjoying the ride.  Did a combination of country roads, state highways, and Interstate.  YES  I like it.  I figure right now I have 1 of the dozen best riding and handling Connies in the country. The others have a car tire too!  It rides smooth and handles better than any Connie I have owned.  This is my third 1400 and I had 3 1000's.  I will say this is not for everyone.  It is different especially at slow speeds. Rear tire will chase grooves and risers in roads at slow to stopping speeds.  I might be a CVRAZY old man.  But I sure have a big smile on my face right now!  Pics very soon.

On wing I run a Pirelli P1 195 55 16 run flat.  On the Connie I cant get a P1 in the size.  So I went with a Perelli P7 205 50 17. it is summer performance not a run flat.  Spoke to another Connie rider on a car tire.  He said he had never used a run flat and was happy. Time will tell I may step up to some run flat next time but not sure.  Just look for rounded edge.  I don't like the square cut edge tires.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 03:33:50 PM »
pics,

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 04:22:58 PM »
looks like you might need a wider mudflap

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 04:37:41 PM »
It is BIG  for sure.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
Check with .... Blue One.... he makes a rear extender that looks like it would work...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.msg850#msg850

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »
Here is the previous thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6116  has some noise, but an interesting re-read.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
  Just to let my thoughts known I posted this.  I in no way am trying to or will ever try to talk someone into running a car tire.  That is a personal choice. I was dead set against it a couple years ago on the Goldwing boards. I rode several times with guys that ran them and one day I decided to just give one a try.  At first I did not care much for it.  After the first 500 miles I started to like it.  The Connie is nothing like the Goldwing but so far it feels OK to me.  Time will tell.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »
So, the initial post was made on Friday the 13th. That alone took guts. Running a CT on a "Sport bike with bags" also takes some intestinal fortitude.

That being writ, I say bravo to you! Experience is the only way to truly prove any theory/idea.  What I am trying to say is that when there is a genuine need to try something different it must be done or you will never know for sure if it was a good/bad idea in the first place. (My opinion) There are many arguments for and against running a CT on this, or any, motorcycle.  Considering that many riders have crossed over to the Dark Side and haven't returned says something.  Doesn't it?

Since I am a potential convert to a CT I would like to know about the process of making the switch.  Stuff like difficulty with mounting, balancing, tire choices, side clearances, and speed rating to name a few.  Anyone?

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »

What air pressure are you using?    TPS system functions the same, right?