Author Topic: Puig Vented Windscreen  (Read 3065 times)

Offline eng943

Puig Vented Windscreen
« on: October 22, 2017, 04:09:18 AM »
Has anyone tried this windscreen? It claims to be 4" taller than the stock screen and seems to be the only aftermarket windscreen that incorporates a vent into their design like the stock shield. I have become a fan of having a vent, my Cee Bailey windscreen for my K16 has one and it's real handy on hot days.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline rcannon409

Re: Puig Vented Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
Do you have a pic of this shield?  I've seen the puig, but don't notice a built in vent?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »
http://www.motea.com/en/wind-protection/windshield-touring/windshield-touring-puig-kawasaki-gtr-1400-15-17-light-smoke-i4107-240605-0.htm

CAUTION: That screen just has a hole in it.  The user will have to move the flap/vent hardware from an existing screen or pay hundreds to order the parts from Kawasaki.  Eeeew.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline eng943

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
CAUTION: That screen just has a hole in it.  The user will have to move the flap/vent hardware from an existing screen or pay hundreds to order the parts from Kawasaki.  Eeeew.

Piece o cake.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »
I installed this windshield last week - easy change, huge upgrade over stock! And yes, you do re-use the stock vent hardware but it's simple.

Only significant point to note - the stock windshield is thicker at the upper 2 mounting points (there are 3 on each side). The screw plates have spacers built in so they only tighten down so far. This cause the windshield to be a bit wobbly, even re-using the stock rubber washers. My solution was to go to the hardware store and buy rubber grommets and use them as spacers (thicker!) on the upper 2 mounting holes. Worked like a champ - no wobble. The windshield is optically excellent and much better for tall riders at blocking wind and noise. A tad wider too. For the money, I'm quite pleased.
My next choice was the CalSci shield, but it seemed a bit large and angular for me and was almost $100 more. To each his own.
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »
I like the idea, but I'll bet the vent and hardware is cost prohibitive unless your bike came with it, already?

What is it 400.00-500, if we had to order the pieces?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »
I like the idea, but I'll bet the vent and hardware is cost prohibitive unless your bike came with it, already?

What is it 400.00-500, if we had to order the pieces?

That was kinda what I was saying :)  Yes, I think we priced it before and although I don't recall the exact amount, it was probably in that range (it was hundreds).  So that will severely limit the market for that windscreen to just those who have a 2015+ model.  Plus, you then can't really cut down the old screen to make a shorty for summer, because it would have a huge hole in it (unless the person is insane enough to move the vent hardware back and forth, which is quite a chore).  I am not sure if that vent in the stock screen is enough air flow to negate needing a shorty for summer (haven't tried it before).  It doesn't seem like it would be sufficient.  I suppose it depends on when/where one rides.

I am lazy enough that just swapping screens twice a year is annoying :)  But the stock 2nd gen screen is just too tall for summer, at least around here.  Speaking of which, it certainly got cold fast, I might have to swap back to the full-sized screen tomorrow morning for a ride in the low 50's.  44F tonight?!!  Brrrr!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline eng943

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:26 AM »
I installed this windshield last week - easy change, huge upgrade over stock! And yes, you do re-use the stock vent hardware but it's simple.

Only significant point to note - the stock windshield is thicker at the upper 2 mounting points (there are 3 on each side). The screw plates have spacers built in so they only tighten down so far. This cause the windshield to be a bit wobbly, even re-using the stock rubber washers. My solution was to go to the hardware store and buy rubber grommets and use them as spacers (thicker!) on the upper 2 mounting holes. Worked like a champ - no wobble. The windshield is optically excellent and much better for tall riders at blocking wind and noise. A tad wider too. For the money, I'm quite pleased.
My next choice was the CalSci shield, but it seemed a bit large and angular for me and was almost $100 more. To each his own.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like a decent value and worthy of a try.