Author Topic: Plastic dash cover deforming  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Runner

Plastic dash cover deforming
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
This is my situation, I have couple bumps that are coming out from behind the area between tach and speedometer. They are on the small area just below the display screen. One is about the size of a BB and the other is slightly bigger but does not protrude as much. For those of you that may have removed the plastic face plate is there any electrical component that could heat up and cause this? I brought it up to operating temp sitting still and did not feel any heat. To explain the location a little more; they are on the small horizontal area above the select and reset buttons. I did the Google thing and nothing popped up so sure appreciate any help.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Plastic dash cover deforming
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
Year of bike and mileage..  Pictures would help as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Runner

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
It's a 2009 with 28K miles. If it was mid summer I would consider the sun, but don't think that is the case now. I am techy challenged; if someone will give me a number to text to or an email address I will be happy to send pictures and ask them to post to the site.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »
Stock wind screen?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:35:17 AM »
The early bikes were prone sun damage of the dash and red needles caused by heat from screen magnification if left in the hot sun at a certain angle in summer.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline chap

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:47:35 AM »
If it would work in a 2009. I have a 2010 Instrument cluster in mint condition with 15k miles on it. I would sell it if you are interested.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Runner

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:49:52 AM »
I guess the sun is the most likely the reason, still hard to believe 80 degrees could be an issue. Thanks for the input from the site.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 06:37:33 AM »
I guess the sun is the most likely the reason, still hard to believe 80 degrees could be an issue. Thanks for the input from the site.

Its not the temperature that's the problem.

A magnifying glass will burn an ant as well if held at the right angle on a sunny winters day as a warm summers day

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
Mikey is right.   The short stock shield is especially prone to this.  You can minimize the issue by sanding the edges to dullness.  I have some minimal branding on my dash thanks to that shield.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
We believe the gen1 shield had that problem (a lens effect that could damage the dash) and that the gen2 shield, 2010+ (and gen2.5 mailbox-slot shield) don't have the issue, or at least not as much.  The gen2 shield is taller, has a different curve, and I believe sanded edges.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline khager01

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
Its not the temperature that's the problem.

A magnifying glass will burn an ant as well if held at the right angle on a sunny winters day as a warm summers day

I just wanted to add that I had the same thing happen on my V-Strom with an aftermarket Shield, it didn't start happening until December even though I have the shield on all throughout the summer (100F+) here in Texas.

The bike was always parked the same facing north at work everyday, it wasn't the temperature but the low December Sun that worked its magic.