Author Topic: Why aren't 2015 onwards bikes  (Read 7483 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Why aren't 2015 onwards bikes
« on: March 25, 2018, 01:32:14 AM »
more commonly referred to as Gen 3 (or even Gen 2.5) ?

I mean it's a reasonably good list of changes over the Gen 2

revised first gear ratio,
different steering stem seal for lighter steering at low speed,
stiffer rear suspension for enhanced carrying capacity,
an adjustable vent in the windshield,
revised ABS programming to reduce the linked braking effect,
a new rear luggage base,
silver bezels on the analog dash meters,
elongated mid-pipe heat shield,
change of warning lamp color from red to yellow,
tank pad,
cushions on passenger pegs, and a more deeply sculpted seat
North American models now use same oxygen sensor as rest of world

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: Why aren't 2015 onwards bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 01:38:43 AM »
Ok so will admit a fairly minor list of changes compared to those between Gen1 & Gen2 :)

KTRC traction control and K-ACT ABS and brake assist, as well as linked brakes[8] which are optional in some markets (2010 only) and standard in others.
The 2010 model has revised bodywork to improve engine cooling and reduce engine heat to the rider,
mirrors raised by 40 mm (1.6 in),
the dashboard top was redesigned with vents to help relieve back pressure,
a larger wind screen and with memory function and auto-lowering,
a heat shield across the midsection of the exhaust pipe,
a handlebar-mounted switch to control the dash computer,
variable heated grips,
an optional "Fuel Economy Assistance Mode"  (was this also only in 2010?) that tells the ECU to use a leaner, more economical air-fuel ratio at engine speeds less than 6,000 rpm and road speed less than 80 mph (130 km/h),
an "Economical Riding Indicator" was added to the dashboard.
The tank-mounted storage area was removed and replaced with an auto-locking glove box in the left fairing,
the exhaust silencer cap was changed,
the two color seat was replaced a single color model,
the instrument cluster illumination was changed from red to white,
an ambient outdoor temperature display option was added to the computer display,
included key sets were changed from two active fobs/keys to one active fob/key and one passive mini fob/key,
the front fork fluid levels were increased by 25ml,
the oil pan was modified so that the drain plug faces forward instead of downward to prevent damage.
The ECU was programmed to limit top speed to 154 mph.
The rear pannier covers were fully painted (instead of leaving a black area at the bottom)
--

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 02:55:00 AM »
Since we are on a forum, I think it should be referred to as a Gen 2.1 (first revision - like software versions). It wouldn’t go to Gen 3 until there is a visual design change to the bike.  :D
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 03:22:22 AM »
Since we are on a forum, I think it should be referred to as a Gen 2.1 (first revision - like software versions). It wouldn’t go to Gen 3 until there is a visual design change to the bike.  :D
I can agree with that 😁
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 07:02:03 AM »

Mostly just because the changes are so few and so minor compared to what happened 2009 vs 2010.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 07:05:38 AM »
Since we are on a forum, I think it should be referred to as a Gen 2.1 (first revision - like software versions.

Seems reasonable to me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »

I'm starting to feel like Rodney.

Three years ago and change.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

which is easy for those that were here 3 years ago to say ;)
--

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »
OK.  I have a 2008 ABS.  If , say just for S&G's, that I had the opportunity to purchase a gently used 2010+.  What do you think would be the most noteworthy improvement(s)?  Perhaps the Top Three that would make the move a no-brainer.  :nuts:

It's clear that making the move to the latest and greatest version is sometimes the most logical conclusion.  That being writ, is 2015+ where the "Next Gen" line could be drawn?

ZG/GTR1400 Generations?

Gen 1: 2008-2009
Gen 2: 2010-2014
Gen 3: 2015-Present

Yes, I could research all sorts of content on-line to get an answer but the information from forums like this one is, IMHO, where it's at. :hail:

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 12:35:24 PM »

Great minds think alike!

I had never seen that post from 3 years ago.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »
OK.  I have a 2008 ABS.  If , say just for S&G's, that I had the opportunity to purchase a gently used 2010+.  What do you think would be the most noteworthy improvement(s)?  Perhaps the Top Three that would make the move a no-brainer.  :nuts:

It's clear that making the move to the latest and greatest version is sometimes the most logical conclusion.  That being writ, is 2015+ where the "Next Gen" line could be drawn?

ZG/GTR1400 Generations?

Gen 1: 2008-2009
Gen 2: 2010-2014
Gen 3: 2015-Present

Yes, I could research all sorts of content on-line to get an answer but the information from forums like this one is, IMHO, where it's at. :hail:

I can’t speak for previous generations, but what I can say is that I don’t have any of the common complaints with my 2017 that most of the Gen 2 owners complain about. I can easily ride out a full tank on the stock seat.

The linked brakes on the less linked setting isn’t that bad. I am able to trail brake without activating the front brakes. That was actually my biggest concern prior to buying my bike. I had read several threads complaining about the linked brakes. I had even gone as far as researching what it would take to unlink them. After the first couple of rides, I got a feel for where the linking takes place and it has been a non-issue since.

The windshield vent definitely works. I had some mild buffeting with it closed, but open mid way, I get no buffering at all. I’m not crazy about the looks of it tho.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »

For me, the top 9 changes, in order would be:

1) Heated grips
2) Heat management (better fairings, heat shield, more insulation)
3) Traction control
4) Ambient temp display
5) White dash illumination
6) Computer control on handlebar
7) Raised mirrors
8 ) Locking glove box
9) Oil pan drain moved

The rest of the changes, no so important (to me)

Maybe as a 2.1, I don't think as a 3.  There is no change in the 2015 that would sway me to want it over a 2014.  And much of what was 2.1 could be bolted on to the gen 1 or 2.0 (windscreen, change steering stem, click the preloader once, swap seat [have different anyway], tank pad sticker [yuck], clear fluid tanks).  As for the rest- Some people might appreciate the linked brake reduction.  1st gear change- why?  Silver bezel, yellow warning lamp, yawn.

Conclusion, the only thing that really matters much with 2.1 is the reduced linked braking effect, and I am not sure that will matter to most people.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
Ok so will admit a fairly minor list of changes compared to those between Gen1 & Gen2 :)

Yep

an optional "Fuel Economy Assistance Mode"    (was this also only in 2010?)

Yes.  I will admit to using it occasionally.  But what is really nice about it is more that it is a second "slot" for a user-selectable, real-time, second "map" (think reflash or "selectable driving mode").

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
Yep

Yes.  I will admit to using it occasionally.  But what is really nice about it is more that it is a second "slot" for a user-selectable, real-time, second "map" (think reflash or "selectable driving mode").

I know it's optional to turn it on I was more asking "was it an option to have it installed on the 2010 models or could you order the bike without it, same as ordering without KTRAC"
--

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 02:05:34 PM »
If , say just for S&G's, that I had the opportunity to purchase a gently used 2010+.  What do you think would be the most noteworthy improvement(s)?

It's sort of relative. That is relative to you and how you feel about your Gen I bike. Does the heat bother you? If so then the fairing change might be #1 if not then the fairing change seems to most to make the bike less physically attractive. The ability to change the LCD display from the handle bars is very nice, but again it doesn't really effect riding performance. Traction control is nice to have, except those with decades of experience with large bikes can certainly be found to POO POO it as un-necessary. Hand grip warmers are also nice but again that would be relative to the person's needs. When going through mountainous areas when touring (I hate to stop between gas stops) it's very nice to just turn on/off the grips instead of having to stop every 20 minutes to change gloves as the temperature fluctuates with altitude changes. If you are a tank bag enthusiast the Gen II is more amenable to that. The change in the gauge illumination from red to white is more pleasing to my eye, but I know that logically the red illumination of the Gen I is more logical for night vision. The memory function of the Windshield position on Gen II can be very nice for those that always have their windshields near one of the memory settings but I never use it myself. The second fuel map might be not appreciated by most but again it's nice to have when you find yourself stretching things a bit in the boonies. The most touted in publications at the time IIRC was the fairing change for heat control and the addition of the traction control.

As for the 2.1 version, again the same relativity pops up. I found the perfect windshield for me on my Gen II was the OEM with a vent from the Gen 2.1 after trying 4 other windshields. If I pulled a trailer or rode a lot of two up then the first gear ratio change in the Gen 2.1 would most likely be a very nice improvement. I have no idea personally, but I have doubts that the stem seal change could really do much or if it is even noticeable. I believe the most touted in publications at the time was the reduced brake linking effect, the windshield vent and the first gear ratio change.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
I know it's optional to turn it on I was more asking "was it an option to have it installed on the 2010 models or could you order the bike without it, same as ordering without KTRAC"

99.9 percent certain it was standard on all '10s and up, same as windshield position memory. I think that is a good question for jimmymac to answer since he says he has a Non ABS '10.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 03:35:22 PM »
I believe because the changes are relatively small, and they are interchangeable with the existing 'version' of the vehicle. That is not the case with Gen. 1 / Gen. 2 bikes, the fairings are sufficiently different that they are not interchangeable or even able to be installed on the 'other' version of the bike.

But I think the whole concept of generations of the same vehicle is not defined by anyone anyway. I am speaking of changes w/in a series; outside the series, the manufacturer would specify a series change such as the C1, C2, C3, etc. series of Corvette. But the difference between, say, a 1964 Corvette coupe and a 1965 Corvette coupe would be more of a consumer- applied, generational change, or in this case, the 1964 would be singled out and referred to by its unique quality (the rear window is two pieces, hence 'split window fastback').

I think if we applied something similar to the software world, there would be a Gen. 1, Gen. 2 and Gen. 2.1 version of the Concours, the decimal indicating a relatively minor change w/in the larger, common series family.

And beyond all that, there have been some small changes to the line that do have occurred alone; the new front rotor carrier was changed in 2012 or 2013 (I think 2013).

Brian

I mean it's a reasonably good list of changes over the Gen 2

revised first gear ratio,
different steering stem seal for lighter steering at low speed,
stiffer rear suspension for enhanced carrying capacity,
an adjustable vent in the windshield,
revised ABS programming to reduce the linked braking effect,
a new rear luggage base,
silver bezels on the analog dash meters,
elongated mid-pipe heat shield,
change of warning lamp color from red to yellow,
tank pad,
cushions on passenger pegs, and a more deeply sculpted seat
North American models now use same oxygen sensor as rest of world
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »

It is a standard, all 2nd gen years feature

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »
I believe because the changes are relatively small, and they are interchangeable with the existing 'version' of the vehicle. That is not the case with Gen. 1 / Gen. 2 bikes, the fairings are sufficiently different that they are not interchangeable or even able to be installed on the 'other' version of the bike.

But I think the whole concept of generations of the same vehicle is not defined by anyone anyway. I am speaking of changes w/in a series; outside the series, the manufacturer would specify a series change such as the C1, C2, C3, etc. series of Corvette. But the difference between, say, a 1964 Corvette coupe and a 1965 Corvette coupe would be more of a consumer- applied, generational change, or in this case, the 1964 would be singled out and referred to by its unique quality (the rear window is two pieces, hence 'split window fastback').

I think if we applied something similar to the software world, there would be a Gen. 1, Gen. 2 and Gen. 2.1 version of the Concours, the decimal indicating a relatively minor change w/in the larger, common series family.

And beyond all that, there have been some small changes to the line that do have occurred alone; the new front rotor carrier was changed in 2012 or 2013 (I think 2013).

Brian

1963 was the split window Corvette.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 10:46:41 AM »
Yep, you are right and thanks for the correction.

My favorite Corvette, the '63- '67 fastbacks or coupes. Now nice examples becoming made of unaffordium.

Brian

1963 was the split window Corvette.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com