Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 681538 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2600 on: July 04, 2017, 07:32:49 PM »
As someone greatly disturbed by noise, I feel a bit differently about the story.  A slip-n-slide on the street is probably not legal (or safe), which they ignored.  And they immediately dismissed the noise complaint "It was literally the sound of kids playing".  Kids "playing" can range from insanely loud (screaming at 120dB over and over, blasting stereos, crashing on cooking pots, for example) to no problem at all (laughing, talking, running around).  Now, I wasn't there, so I don't know how much noise it was or for how long, but I know exactly what it is like to be severely annoyed by unnecessary neighborhood noise for long periods.  But I admit I am unusually grumpy.  Bah humbug.  Of course, it is cool that the cops joined in and got wet.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2601 on: July 04, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »
....and get off my lawn...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2602 on: July 04, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
....and get off my lawn...

Exactly!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2603 on: July 04, 2017, 07:49:29 PM »
Yeah, and when Dennis comes over, it is ALWAYS trouble, right?

Certainly we have to live with rules in society, especially a densely packed society. And most of those rules are pretty well defined. Now the Police got a complaint about noise. They have to respond. When they did, they decided that it was kids making 'fun', 'happy' noise and not beyond the law or apparently not too much. I am surmising here. Also, most noise standard in communities are really quite high until nighttime, and it was not night time when this happened. They also mentioned that the uber -long slide, basically in the gutter of the street, was 'in violation', kinda' but there was plenty of room for emergency vehicles. so they let it go and the kids had some fun on 4 July. I am sure it was over by dark or shortly after, and as I said before, the noise limits decrease with time of day so those very same LEO's may have had to come back and shut it down. But during the day, they let it go, which I think was the right thing for many different reasons. And I think we all have to agree, far better this 'social disturbance' than a Chicago shootout, right?

Brian

As someone greatly disturbed by noise, I feel a bit differently about the story.  A slip-n-slide on the street is probably not legal (or safe), which they ignored.  And they immediately dismissed the noise complaint "It was literally the sound of kids playing".  Kids "playing" can range from insanely loud (screaming at 120dB over and over, blasting stereos, crashing on cooking pots, for example) to no problem at all (laughing, talking, running around).  Now, I wasn't there, so I don't know how much noise it was or for how long, but I know exactly what it is like to be severely annoyed by unnecessary neighborhood noise for long periods.  But I admit I am unusually grumpy.  Bah humbug.  Of course, it is cool that the cops joined in and got wet.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2604 on: July 04, 2017, 08:15:27 PM »
And I think we all have to agree, far better this 'social disturbance' than a Chicago shootout, right?

Certainly- but I prefer neither :)

"I want it all and I want it now"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2605 on: July 05, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
Well, I think we all have a better idea of who called in the complaint in the first place now.

:rotflmao:

I did not see anything that could generate 120 bB in that video but there may have been crashing cooking pots in the background. Hey, it could happen.  ;) ;D

There is no doubt that population density plays a big part in human conflict, at least on the small scale. People packed together does generate friction because someone is always doing something that annoys someone else, and when they are packed tightly together, it greatly exacerbates the problem.

I do understand what you mean I think; urban city noises would get really old with me in short order- and I do not mean the gunfire (gunfire does not bother me, with hearing protection or without) but just the general noise that people and vehicles make. The sound level never drops to zero.

Still, the point of the video was that sometimes LEOs do NOT over- react, or act badly, or help escalate a bad situation.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2606 on: July 07, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »
But United did not pay attention. They continue on, using their own special brand of P.R.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/06/535773208/united-apologizes-as-another-passenger-loses-seat-this-one-a-toddler

::)

Brian

<snip>

....THIS is how you do P.R. IMO. And I especially got a kick out of the female LEO actually riding in the water, sitting inside a large garbage bag to keep her gear dry; again whatever damage might have been done to any of her gear, it  was more than worth it for community relations IMO.

United Airlines: pay attention.  :rotflmao:

<snip>

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/north-carolina-police-respond-call-end-joining-slip/story?id=48437620

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2607 on: July 07, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »
What's funnier is this has been going on for years, it was just brought to the surface with cell phone cameras and the recent "extraction" of the Asian doctor.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2608 on: July 07, 2017, 03:35:44 PM »
What's funnier is this has been going on for years, it was just brought to the surface with cell phone cameras and the recent "extraction" of the Asian doctor.

See this is exactly why we now know there are no alien ufo's or big foot. It used to be argued that sightings were rare and most people did not walk around with a camera so no credible pictures. Now the vast majority of people walk around with a camera and still no credible pictures. On the other hand, airlines, cats and bikers misbehaving we have 1000's of videos a day.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2609 on: July 07, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
FIFY.  ;)

Brian

See this is exactly why we now know there are no alien ufo's or big foot. It used to be argued that sightings were rare and most people did not walk around with a camera so no credible pictures. Now the vast majority of people walk around with a camera and still no credible pictures. On the other hand, airlines, cats, the police (LEOs, not the group), and bikers misbehaving we have 1000's of videos a day.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2610 on: July 14, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
Islam does not allow the consumption of alcohol. And this explains some other benefits of not drinking any alcohol..... :https://www.yahoo.com/news/emirates-airline-caught-pouring-unused-084824373.html

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2611 on: July 16, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
I tried out a new target sighting system today; it is a very simple combination of a video camera, battery pack, antenna and WiFi hub, all mounted in.... wait for it, a plastic ammunition box (of course). The whole thing is set up near the target, the camera pointed at the target, and a software package on a [smartphone, Ipad, tablet or a laptop] watches and records each strike. Not really all that sophisticated but a fantastic idea for shooters, at least those of us NOT located in big cities such as Chicago and who have to use actual paper targets.  :o

Anyway, here is the odd thing: in addition to normal, visible light, the camera works very well in infrared. In fact, it is superb in infrared and actually has an infrared emitter to 'illuminate' whatever the camera is pointed at with infrared light. And I could not figure out why the mfg. did that- who shoots at targets in the dark? How would one target shoot.... in the dark? Not only is it against all range rules I have ever seen, and a really, really bad idea but how would it work anyway? Then I found the answer: the mfg. is using a security camera and THEY are made to work well in infrared! Aha, that makes sense. Used for the task I purchased it for it is simply ignored, or in some cases seems to confound some buyers but it is only there because the camera is begin used for a different task than it was designed to do.

Brian (always confused and sometimes in the dark)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2612 on: July 17, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »
I tried out a new target sighting system today; it is a very simple combination of a video camera, battery pack, antenna and WiFi hub, all mounted in.... wait for it, a plastic ammunition box (of course). The whole thing is set up near the target, the camera pointed at the target, and a software package on a [smartphone, Ipad, tablet or a laptop] watches and records each strike. Not really all that sophisticated but a fantastic idea for shooters, at least those of us NOT located in big cities such as Chicago and who have to use actual paper targets.  :o

Anyway, here is the odd thing: in addition to normal, visible light, the camera works very well in infrared. In fact, it is superb in infrared and actually has an infrared emitter to 'illuminate' whatever the camera is pointed at with infrared light. And I could not figure out why the mfg. did that- who shoots at targets in the dark? How would one target shoot.... in the dark? Not only is it against all range rules I have ever seen, and a really, really bad idea but how would it work anyway? Then I found the answer: the mfg. is using a security camera and THEY are made to work well in infrared! Aha, that makes sense. Used for the task I purchased it for it is simply ignored, or in some cases seems to confound some buyers but it is only there because the camera is begin used for a different task than it was designed to do.

Brian (always confused and sometimes in the dark)

I'm going to have to check these things out. It's been a few years since I've done some long distance shooting and even with a decent sporting scope it was difficult to see some hits. I can guarantee you my eyes haven't exactly gotten better in the last 5 years. I don't know what you paid for this device but I bet it's a lot cheaper than and really good spotting scope.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2613 on: July 17, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
$350, in the range of a decent spotting 'scope that can reliably be used to see .22 sized holes at 200 yds. and 300 yds. given good lighting and target contrast. But I am sending my unit back because it has a couple of serious enough flaws that make it too difficult to actually use. I am looking at another system though and can report on that if you want.

There are several on the market, falling into two very distinct price points; the 'cheap' ones are ~$350 and the 'long range' ones are ~$650. But they will work at better than one- mile and so are the darlings of the long distance shooting community.

This is a video of the same unit I bought and interestingly enough, it was made by a gentleman in Australia.... the authorities must have missed one firearm and one firearm owner in the two big 'roundups'.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2xf30LMFNs

The Bullseye software that is used on Android and Apple products has a couple of amazing features though (the Windoze version of the software does NOT have these features). Because the camera is not in- line with the target (you know, w/in the ballistic trajectory, which would be really hard on the camera hardware) but below and off to the side, it does not show a correct projection of the target; squares are not square but oddly shaped, 4 sided objects. The software has a feature where you define the corners of the target and it then compensates for the angle perspective and shows a 'front' view. Even better, you calibrate the target in the software and it will then project a grid overlay that again, you define. This yields two things: the software will not tell you the group size, and if can also instruct you how to zero your sighting system (literally showing how many 'clicks' up / down and left / right to center POI). Neat stuff.

The flaws are 1) the camera resolution is a bit too low. 2) The shooter has to interact with the software between each shot- not a gigantic deal but still, I would rather just record the live video and twiddle with it after a string is over. and 3) the camera is rigidly mounted in a box, so the box must be wedged in the front to point to the correct place and that is pretty clunky and painful IMO and IME. That is the real deal- killer.

It was useful though as I am working up some match- grade loads for a new bull barrelled .223; consecutive strings of stepped loads and two different bullets (Hornady 68 gn. HP Match and Sierra 69 gn. Match Kings) immediately showed me, all while sitting at the bench, what was working better and providing a permanent record.

Still, I think this is the way to go instead of optics, I just want a somewhat different physical system. There are a couple of others out there and of course, the home- made versions because other than the software, the 'system' is really a security camera, battery, and WiFi hub and antenna.

Brian

I'm going to have to check these things out. It's been a few years since I've done some long distance shooting and even with a decent sporting scope it was difficult to see some hits. I can guarantee you my eyes haven't exactly gotten better in the last 5 years. I don't know what you paid for this device but I bet it's a lot cheaper than and really good spotting scope.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2614 on: July 23, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »
In honor of the opening of the movie Dunkirk:

There have been a lot of truly gifted writers / speakers native to the English language. My own favorite is an American, the inimitable Mr. A. Lincoln. But everyone has a personality and certain traits, and part of what I think makes Lincoln so wonderful is that he wrote / spoke with a lot of sentiment (not sentimentality, what Hallmark greeting cards uses to shame us into buying cards for Grandam, etc.) and was so very eloquent in expressing that sentiment. And so of course he was never very good at biting, slightly caustic or acerbic language. For that we have Winston Churchill, an altogether different type of person but also simply excellent as a writer and speaker (professional, public speaking) in the English language. One of my favorites:

When accused of occasionally ending his sentences with prepositions, he is supposed to have icily responded: ""This is the type of errant pedantry up with which I will not put."   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Way better than that pig story, which I do not believe ever actually happened anyway. But as the story goes: a female MP, Bessie Braddock or the Conservative Lady Astor depending on which story one happens to hear, is supposed to have said to the PM Churchill that he was 'disgustingly drunk'. To which he replied:  'My dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.'

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2615 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
In honor of the opening of the movie Dunkirk:

There have been a lot of truly gifted writers / speakers native to the English language. My own favorite is an American, the inimitable Mr. A. Lincoln. But everyone has a personality and certain traits, and part of what I think makes Lincoln so wonderful is that he wrote / spoke with a lot of sentiment (not sentimentality, what Hallmark greeting cards uses to shame us into buying cards for Grandam, etc.) and was so very eloquent in expressing that sentiment. And so of course he was never very good at biting, slightly caustic or acerbic language. For that we have Winston Churchill, an altogether different type of person but also simply excellent as a writer and speaker (professional, public speaking) in the English language. One of my favorites:

When accused of occasionally ending his sentences with prepositions, he is supposed to have icily responded: ""This is the type of errant pedantry up with which I will not put."   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Way better than that pig story, which I do not believe ever actually happened anyway. But as the story goes: a female MP, Bessie Braddock or the Conservative Lady Astor depending on which story one happens to hear, is supposed to have said to the PM Churchill that he was 'disgustingly drunk'. To which he replied:  'My dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.'

Brian

Looking forward to movie "Darkest Hour" about Winston Churchill. The trailer looks great. Funny how movies with similar themes seem to come out at the same time.

http://youtu.be/DH9ZWmizdIc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2616 on: July 24, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
Thanks for posting this- I had not seen anything about it. Looks interesting, especially Gary Oldman playing Churchill.

Brian

Looking forward to movie "Darkest Hour" about Winston Churchill. The trailer looks great. Funny how movies with similar themes seem to come out at the same time.

http://youtu.be/DH9ZWmizdIc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2617 on: July 24, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
Islam does not allow the consumption of alcohol. And this explains some other benefits of not drinking any alcohol..... :https://www.yahoo.com/news/emirates-airline-caught-pouring-unused-084824373.html

Brian

Not strictly true as Islam has as many (if not more)  sub branches as Christianity.

(some ) Turkish Muslims for example are free to drink alcohol  whilst others discourage rather than prohibit.

On the other hand Black Pudding is a definite nono , not only being a pork product but being made of blood
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2618 on: July 25, 2017, 01:02:47 AM »
pbooks

You know what an ebook is, right? Well, in the dimwit information age, millennials have been struggling to describe what a book might look like if the text was printed with analogue ink on both sides of multiple sheets of paper that have been bound together in such a way to allow a continuous reading experience by progressively turning the sheets in sequential order.

A pbook is a printed book.

Our forefathers called it a codex. It was a revolutionary invention that helped accelerate the proliferation of literacy throughout the world. Before then, people had to scroll up and down interminably if they wanted to read anything – just imagine!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/21/ten_new_tech_terms_i_learnt_this_summer_do_you_know_them_all/
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2619 on: July 25, 2017, 01:13:20 AM »
I do not disagree with you regarding how things are. But I do question whether or not a 'sub group' that has given up one or more tenants of something based entirely on dogma and rules can still be considered a member of the original group. So are these people really Muslim but a different sub- group or are they simply in violation of a very significant rules (or rules) and therefore actually not Muslim at all but people claiming to be so?

I am really very ignorant of Islam but as far as I know, the consumption of alcohol, as well as pig products and several (many?) other things are strictly forbidden and further, there is no allowance for any circumstances that would allow it. That is the safety valve in, say Judaism, something about a situation being 'life or death' allowing a rule to be suspended. Again, pretty ignorant of Judiasm too but given my poor understanding, if a Muslim and Jewish person were isolated and trapped in, say, some kind of spare, and the only food was bacon, the Jew could, in order to avoid certain death, eat bacon only as long as needed while the Muslim must avoid it even it it results in death. Applied to alcohol, there is no tolerance or allowance.

Brian

Not strictly true as Islam has as many (if not more)  sub branches as Christianity.

(some ) Turkish Muslims for example are free to drink alcohol  whilst others discourage rather than prohibit.

On the other hand Black Pudding is a definite nono , not only being a pork product but being made of blood