Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 690777 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2540 on: June 19, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »
ME TOO ME TOO!
Heck, I have issues with the GPS when mounted to the Connie.
I have a pair of glasses with small bifocals for riding.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2541 on: June 19, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
Same exact thing on the GPS: if far enough away to focus on it, I cannot read it. If close enough to read, I cannot focus. Same thing is happening with the instruments although they do not require the same fine focus.

I too will be heading for at least one of those stick- on shield lenses for looking down at the reading stuff, and looking over it (them) for the riding stuff.

I think it was George Burns who said that getting old was not for sissies. Probably politically incorrect now but still as true as it was 100 years ago.

And I am not really complaining, just sort of whining about the little garbage that gets in the way as I get older. Overall, I am in good shape as far as I know and can still do everything I want to do so no real complaints; there are lots of people far worse off than me and I fully understand it. And if we live long enough, it is virtually certain that we WILL deteriorate to the point where we cannot do some things, and perhaps are disabled to some degree, perhaps very much so. And the only way out of that that I know of is that 'sudden gust of death'. So really it is all good. Except for the part where they will not print "Shampoo" in big enough letters!!!!!!!!!

:rotflmao:

Brian

ME TOO ME TOO!
Heck, I have issues with the GPS when mounted to the Connie.
I have a pair of glasses with small bifocals for riding.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2542 on: June 19, 2017, 01:25:18 PM »
Darn that hurts.  Just got a brane freeze!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2543 on: June 19, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
What is it that hurts, Jim?

Brian

Darn that hurts.  Just got a brane freeze!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2544 on: June 19, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »
Me too... I ended up having to put a magnifying glass in the bathroom.  I don't bring/wear my glasses in there, so seeing anything even written in 10 point font seems impossible now.  Getting older sucks, but the alternative sucks even worse.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2545 on: June 19, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
Maybe, maybe not: according to some beliefs, both current and past, the other side of the turf might be really great- far nicer than walking around is (or was I guess). But that is a different discussion.

Magnifying glass in the bathroom- HA! I have a wall- mounted 10X mirror so I can shave!!! I cannot easily shave with glasses on but more importantly, I cannot get close enough to the mirror (main, wall mirror) and twist and turn to steer the razor. Now what is really a PITA is that I have a much smaller, suction cup (5X as I remember) mounted mirror for traveling! No mirror, no shavey, or at least not a good shave (read: so the bathroom does not look like a crime scene with me lying in middle of it..... bleeding out).

Brian

Me too... I ended up having to put a magnifying glass in the bathroom.  I don't bring/wear my glasses in there, so seeing anything even written in 10 point font seems impossible now.  Getting older sucks, but the alternative sucks even worse.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2546 on: June 19, 2017, 05:59:35 PM »
What is it that hurts, Jim?

Brian

My brane.  I'm better now that I've started the evening drinking...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #2547 on: June 19, 2017, 11:03:32 PM »
Krispy Kreme vs Dunkin' Donuts?

Donut Thread!

..and just what are Hooligan's thoughts about Koeksisters?

(obviously, I have a cup of coffee, but alas no donut this morning.  :( )

Koeksisters you say.........?!! :rotflmao:....

Way too sweet for my liking, but thanks for asking..... I'm more of a "Ystervarkie" kind of guy.... The syrup in the koeksisters is just too much, but the coconut in the ystervarkies breaks down the chocolate nicely. It has to be made from fresh sponge cake though, otherwise I'm not interested.....
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2548 on: June 20, 2017, 03:45:40 AM »
I probably said this before but..... as an old man, I have a great dose of 'long arm disease' where I cannot focus on anything very close to my eyes. My long vision is good but I need minor corrective lenses to allow me to get closer to anything, such as close enough to a monitor to read it. That is not a problem really either but what is annoying is that it results is a short focal distance; 1.25 diopter lenses are good for perhaps 20" to about 14", any closer and I have to switch to either 1.5 or usually 2.0. That gets me from maybe 12" (Easy Boys!) to about 10" or 9" away at best. To look closer, such as when looking at a PC board, small parts of a firearm, etc., I need 3.0, and they work fine but only for about 2" of focusing range, which is fine for a single task but a few seconds later I end up backing up and needing a lesser power lens again. So normally for any type of changing task, I need 2 and sometimes 3 pair of glasses and have to keep  swapping them. A true PITA.

And now for the pet peeve: I do not wear glasses in the shower (duh), and find that while all the bottles in there have writing from top- to- bottom, the actual word or words saying what they ARE seem to be written in 6 point type. Sure, "Vanilla- Hickory" is gigantic and I can read that but who cares. What I want to (need to) know is WHAT IT IS! I wash my hair and sometimes it seems to get even less clean- yep, that was creme rinse instead of shampoo. Sometimes it gets clean, kinda' but burns..... drain opener. Sometimes it gets a little cleaner and is as fresh as a Summer's Eve.... that was..... well, never-mind. So, why not just put what the product actually IS in bigger, legible letters? I think it is a Soviet conspiracy to ruin the American economy by making us use far too many chemicals in the bathroom!

But I am still hoping it will stop deteriorating and get better. Yep, that's the ticket- it will get better.

Brian (wearing 1.25 diopter lenses so I can type this nonsense in the first place).

I think that you're on to something Brian! You're a bit late though. It was the Joker and not the Soviets.

If you'll recall, Batman foiled the Jokers plot a few years ago.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2549 on: June 20, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »
I had another thought (shocking I know) on this subject.

You have drain cleaner AND Summer's Eve in your shower?  :o

For your wife's sake (and yours) I certainly hope that her eyesight is better than yours...

Someone had to say it, right?   ;D

I probably said this before but..... as an old man, I have a great dose of 'long arm disease' where I cannot focus on anything very close to my eyes. My long vision is good but I need minor corrective lenses to allow me to get closer to anything, such as close enough to a monitor to read it. That is not a problem really either but what is annoying is that it results is a short focal distance; 1.25 diopter lenses are good for perhaps 20" to about 14", any closer and I have to switch to either 1.5 or usually 2.0. That gets me from maybe 12" (Easy Boys!) to about 10" or 9" away at best. To look closer, such as when looking at a PC board, small parts of a firearm, etc., I need 3.0, and they work fine but only for about 2" of focusing range, which is fine for a single task but a few seconds later I end up backing up and needing a lesser power lens again. So normally for any type of changing task, I need 2 and sometimes 3 pair of glasses and have to keep  swapping them. A true PITA.

And now for the pet peeve: I do not wear glasses in the shower (duh), and find that while all the bottles in there have writing from top- to- bottom, the actual word or words saying what they ARE seem to be written in 6 point type. Sure, "Vanilla- Hickory" is gigantic and I can read that but who cares. What I want to (need to) know is WHAT IT IS! I wash my hair and sometimes it seems to get even less clean- yep, that was creme rinse instead of shampoo. Sometimes it gets clean, kinda' but burns..... drain opener. Sometimes it gets a little cleaner and is as fresh as a Summer's Eve.... that was..... well, never-mind. So, why not just put what the product actually IS in bigger, legible letters? I think it is a Soviet conspiracy to ruin the American economy by making us use far too many chemicals in the bathroom!

But I am still hoping it will stop deteriorating and get better. Yep, that's the ticket- it will get better.

Brian (wearing 1.25 diopter lenses so I can type this nonsense in the first place).

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2550 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »

I suggest getting one of those big fat sharpies and putting a big S or C on those bottles!    ;)

I too have to squint to see what's what, even on the Suave bottles.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2551 on: June 20, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
Well, I may have used some editorial liberty there for illustration value. Those products are not really stored inside my shower enclosure. What is stored there is 115% of all the brands / types / scents of all hair products ever sold on the planet; my wife apparently has a rule about never, ever buying the same product twice. Try some product you like? Well enjoy the hell out of that bottle because you will 1) never see it again and 2) it will be replaced by something you hate at least 3X as much as you liked the last one.

But I do have true story that is even more shocking (and not just to the mind either)!

I know an older person who uses Wet Wipes from one of those pop- up dispensers to clean up after..... certain chores in the bathroom. Now for the twist (and I do not mean in the Wet Wipes but the story); same person also has Clorox brand wipes, in a similar pop- up dispenser, in the same cupboard in the bathroom, for bathroom cleaning chores..... but not THAT one. Now this person is kinda' elderly, a little bit of a 'space shot' and not big on paying too much attention to any event. So this one day, in banned camp, she mixed up the two and guess what- she did NOT try to clean the bathroom with Wet Ones so you know the choice left. Turns out, rather surprisingly I guess, that certain tissues of the human body are fairly sensitive to industrial cleansers containing chlorine. Who woulda' thunk it? Anyway, I was not there (in the dwelling, not speaking of the actual room of the crime of course) but I understand things got kinda' loud for a bit, and the event resulted in something that Monty Python's 'Ministry of Funny Walks' writers would not have seen coming. True story.

Brian (shiver me oh so tender timbers)

I had another thought (shocking I know) on this subject.

You have drain cleaner AND Summer's Eve in your shower?  :o

For your wife's sake (and yours) I certainly hope that her eyesight is better than yours...

Someone had to say it, right?   ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2552 on: June 20, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
Of course I know that you don't store Draino in the shower Brian and that you were just telling an amusing story. I guess my attempt at funny fell short?

I'll work on it.   

Well, I may have used some editorial liberty there for illustration value. Those products are not really stored inside my shower enclosure. What is stored there is 115% of all the brands / types / scents of all hair products ever sold on the planet; my wife apparently has a rule about never, ever buying the same product twice. Try some product you like? Well enjoy the hell out of that bottle because you will 1) never see it again and 2) it will be replaced by something you hate at least 3X as much as you liked the last one.

But I do have true story that is even more shocking (and not just to the mind either)!

I know an older person who uses Wet Wipes from one of those pop- up dispensers to clean up after..... certain chores in the bathroom. Now for the twist (and I do not mean in the Wet Wipes but the story); same person also has Clorox brand wipes, in a similar pop- up dispenser, in the same cupboard in the bathroom, for bathroom cleaning chores..... but not THAT one. Now this person is kinda' elderly, a little bit of a 'space shot' and not big on paying too much attention to any event. So this one day, in banned camp, she mixed up the two and guess what- she did NOT try to clean the bathroom with Wet Ones so you know the choice left. Turns out, rather surprisingly I guess, that certain tissues of the human body are fairly sensitive to industrial cleansers containing chlorine. Who woulda' thunk it? Anyway, I was not there (in the dwelling, not speaking of the actual room of the crime of course) but I understand things got kinda' loud for a bit, and the event resulted in something that Monty Python's 'Ministry of Funny Walks' writers would not have seen coming. True story.

Brian (shiver me oh so tender timbers)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2553 on: June 20, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
Not funny but a true story.

My wife and I stopped at the local supermarket to do some shopping. As I was parking WAY out in BFE (I refuse to park close to the front doors and have my car doors suffer for it) my wife saw a crow chasing a mouse in the open section of the parking lot.

I parked and we watched the struggle unfold. It was like Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins right there at the grocery store. The crow was toying with the mouse. The mouse would make a break for the grassy area and the crow would fly over and cut off his escape route. The mouse would head in the other direction and the crow would head him off again. Being able to fly has it's advantages. This fun went on for a few minutes (I'm sure the mouse wouldn't have called it that) when the crow picked up the mouse and tossed him in the air. The crow caught the mouse by the tail and then bashed him against the pavement a couple of times to soften him up. Lunch was served.

This is the first time that I've seen a crow make a live kill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2554 on: June 20, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
As I was parking WAY out in BFE (I refuse to park close to the front doors and have my car doors suffer for it)

+1- that's me.  Zero damage and I don't mind walking an extra 50 feet.

This is the first time that I've seen a crow make a live kill.

Crows are surprisingly [scarily] smart.  Your story makes me think of a cat but with wings...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2555 on: June 22, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »
My wife claims that I, along with the rest of the male population, cannot multi- task. I respond that she has trouble single- tasking.  ;D  Barbs aside, this is one of the most interesting examples of female multi- tasking I have ever seen.....

Now, THIS is an example of how to multi- task..... at least until the police show up and arrest you. But until that moment, this woman was multi- tasking the hell out of herself and actually including others.... Outstanding!

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/mom-allegedly-breastfed-her-infant-233859435.html

Brian (I have been living among humans now for decades and they still surprise me every single day)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2556 on: June 22, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
I cannot believe this guy riding the bike did not go down!

Someone taught someone else a lesson but I am not sure who is who. Also not sure the authorities know who was riding the bike but if they can identity the rider I bet there will be hell to pay....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video-motorcyclist-kicks-car-triggers-155759516.html

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2557 on: June 22, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
Why in the world does the video not include some time BEFORE the kick?  It looks like it is a single lane and the car entered the lane without looking, forcing the bike to the left.  I can't imagine trying to kick a car while moving at highway speeds (or any speed), insanity!  Crazy chain of events.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2558 on: June 22, 2017, 09:16:24 PM »
My wife claims that I, along with the rest of the male population, cannot multi- task. I respond that she has trouble single- tasking.  ;D  Barbs aside, this is one of the most interesting examples of female multi- tasking I have ever seen.....

Now, THIS is an example of how to multi- task..... at least until the police show up and arrest you. But until that moment, this woman was multi- tasking the hell out of herself and actually including others.... Outstanding!

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/mom-allegedly-breastfed-her-infant-233859435.html

Brian (I have been living among humans now for decades and they still surprise me every single day)

I freely admit I can't multi-task.  Look down at display flashing low fuel....run into the back of a C10.   I'm also simple, according to my wife.  I am what I am.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2559 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
Would not reading AND crashing be considered multi- tasking? Hey, we are not grading the multi- tasking here, merely defining it......

:-)

Brian

I freely admit I can't multi-task.  Look down at display flashing low fuel....run into the back of a C10.   I'm also simple, according to my wife.  I am what I am.