Author Topic: Who has two thumbs and enlisted in the Navy today?  (Read 9111 times)

Offline MiniCog

Who has two thumbs and enlisted in the Navy today?
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:18:50 PM »
This guy.  This guy also made a 95 on the ASVAB and a 264 on the NUC section of the test, so I was wavered from the BRAVO test.    I think to get wavered, you have to get a 90 and a 235 to get wavered.  I don't remember, all I know is that my process was a cakewalk.

My ship date for basic training in Chicago is September 3rd (nothing earlier was available).  After that I go to Nuclear Power School in Charleston, SC, for 2 years with a dorm and an E-3 pay grade.  My contract is 6 years, staring as an E-3 since I'll have an associates in May, and I get paid for basic and a pretty good sized  bonus afterwards that will be paid out over the next 4 years.
I checked everything twice, read the contract, everything I signed, everything I have been told was on the contract.

Feeling pretty stoked that I got into the program though, some of my friends think it's pretty cool that I'm actually taking the military seriously.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: Who has two thumbs and enlisted in the Navy today?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
Congratulations! By the summer's end, you may be the only one out of your friends to have a job.. And have school paid for.
You made a very wise move my friend! Good luck and God bless on your future journey. Try to make the National this year,
so we can give you a proper send-off!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline paulthibodeaux

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:25:14 AM »
Good for you.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »

Congratulations! By the summer's end, you may be the only one out of your friends to have a job.. And have school paid for.
You made a very wise move my friend! Good luck and God bless on your future journey. Try to make the National this year,
so we can give you a proper send-off!

Thanks!
I'm told that a lot of people have no idea where they're going to school next year, but I have a lot of friends who do, but a lot who don't.  It seems that a lot of the smarter people don't know where they're going, maybe it's because they tried for Harvard and Rice...  hahaha
Where is the rally this year?  I think I'm going to try and make enough money to buy an SV650 or 1000 by the time the rally comes around.   ;D

Good for you.

Thanks!  I'm still pretty ecstatic about the whole thing.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
Congrats and don't take offense if you are called a squid.  That is a term of endearment from a dumb grunt like me, to you.  The rally is in Arkansas, hope to meet you and have a beer soft drink with ya. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
"Soft Drink" would be good.   ;D

No one's gonna be calling me a squid, some of the guys on here will attest to that.   :thumbs:    (we're talking about on a bike, right?)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »
From another vet THANKS for your service
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »
"Soft Drink" would be good.   ;D

No one's gonna be calling me a squid, some of the guys on here will attest to that.   :thumbs:    (we're talking about on a bike, right?)

Nope, not a reference to your riding style.  It is a nickname for guys in the Navy, kinda like Marines are "jarheads", Air Force are "fly boys".  I have seen these nicknames start bar room brawls but they are really just a way to associate with another guy [or gal] that has seen fit to sign their name on the dotted line that may mean not coming home for weeks, months, years or even not at all.  Take care and enjoy your last 9 months as a civilian.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »
Ok, now remember, this is the last time that you volunteer for anything in the next six years. Oh, and yes, you will henceforth be known as a squid.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt from the USCG.
Have a good time and congrats.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 03:15:41 PM »
Congrats! You are about to go on an adventure. I spent 20 some years in the canoe club working on aircraft.  There will be good days, not so good days and some days where you should have stayed in bed. Do the best you can with a smile on your face. Don’t be afraid to talk to your seniors but never ask why you have to do something, just do it. Hard work gets you some slack when something goes just a little bad. Team players work hard and get rewards and have fun doing it. Buck the system and life is not so fun. Being a Nuke you should advance faster than most. As you put on the strips it gets easier and a lot more fun. Since you will have a AA continue to work on a BA. It will pay off in the end, trust me. I’ve been around the world twice and have seen things which are just amazing. It’s a big world out there.
Now having said all of that, I would not enjoy todays Navy. One of the best Skippers I had liked to work hard and play hard.   He probably would be fired today for some of the things we did for fun. No it wasn’t illegal, but it would have raised a few of today’s eye brows. I won’t even get into the women on the ships thing. Boot camp is a mind game. If you can fold clothes you’ll do fine. But you will be dumbfounded why some people think boot camp is like the end of the earth and get themselves into trouble.  If I could spend 20 years and never get into trouble so can you. I ran Aircraft division for my squadron during desert storm and had a blast doing it. Aircraft Division worked on engines, airframes, hydraulics, environmental, ejection seats, parachutes and corrosion control. If it went boom or had electricity it belonged to someone else.
I made some lifelong friends some Navy, some not. If you find a good woman be sure to marry well in your youth. Think with the big head. She might be taking care of you later in life.  Squid.

One more thing....The West coast Navy is way more fun than the East Coast Navy. Trust me I've done both. Remember this when it's orders time.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »
Well done Nate, welcome to the club!  If you do decide to become a Submariner try to get Bangor, AKA Naval Base Kitsap.  Remember, I have 2 off road bikes ;D  If ya think yer stoked now, wai till the night before ya ship.  I could pobably give ya a thousand tips, but I'll only give you one.  Integrity is like virginity, once you've lost it, it's gone forever.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »
You idiot!

Cryptographer!  Cryptographer!

Nuclear only leads to a life of loneliness, pain and degradation!

Listen to me!

Also, don't volunteer submarines.

And, congratulations.

MMC(SS) Cone
Nuke submarine mechanic

P.S.  It's not too late to join the Air Force.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 10:08:19 PM »
Congrats. Do you know if you are going to subs?

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 05:48:34 AM »
First congrats. As the guys have covered the bases, I will just say:

I was a nuke, heard "subs", looked around, figured that planes cannot land on them, never looked back.

I concur with Tim on the second paragraph down. As a matter of fact, I too was in aircraft during Desert Storm, CVN-71 and VF84, the true Jolly Rodgers. I miss that Navy.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »
Thanks for ya'lls replies, my school administrators aren't as happy about what I'm going to do as some would tend to believe.  They seem to think the military is a horrible thing (aside from a few of the administrators, and probably because it's a collegiate high school that's just a college with an extra office) and would rather have me go to a 4-year school and get scholarships (the school makes money off of the students, their scholarships and basically milks the state for money from this).  Little do they know, they can count my GI Bill as a scholarship...   ::)

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 11:42:12 PM »
I did 5 years as a gunner's mate in the Coast Guard.... So I'm stuck being known as a puddle pirate  :P. I did get in some great drug and illegal migrant interdiction's though during my time in. I hope the Navy is everything you hope it do be. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
Atom head squid! Stay out of the subs go on carriers. More shore leave while on deployment. Fresh air and sunshine.
You are one of the 41,000 being recruited this year while 6,000 are being mustered out because the Navy is "overmanned".  Congrats!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
Well done Nate!    :thumbs:

The best of luck to ya!

In the Navy
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:43 PM »
Congrats and good luck. From an Army Vet & a father with a son currently in the Navy I would just like to say thanks.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Navy?  That involves water doesn't it?   :)   Congratulations!   :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.