Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303113 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #860 on: June 12, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »
Finished House of Cards Season5. It was actually very good, considering they left the reason for the entire series behind two or three years ago.

Really looking forward to the last couple episodes of Fargo. Last episode (8 I think) they did the usual Fargo shtick where the main characters turn from extremely evil to.... well, more extremely evil :-)  And they also tied this season (set in 2010) into the entire rest of the series, which is set in 1997, 1979, 2006. Series is still excellent- about as good as always although anything / anybody would have a tough time coming up to the level of Billy Bob Thorton's 'Lorne Malvo'.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #861 on: June 12, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »
Finished House of Cards Season5. It was actually very good, considering they left the reason for the entire series behind two or three years ago.

Brian

Finished it as well. Its no longer as believable as the first 2 seasons but still very entertaining. Outstanding acting by all but especially Kevin Spacy and Buttercup... I mean Robin Wright.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #862 on: June 12, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »
SPOILERS AHEAD

Yeah, and the current questions are 1) who is really in charge and 2) will the other one let the one actually in charge.... be in charge? From the last 10 minutes of the last show, it seems that Frank has completely orchestrated the entire situation, IS in charge <really> and plans on staying there at any cost. Clare thinks she is in charge but without the conviction, and cunning of Frank; I would have said without the ruthlessness of Frank but kind of got over that after her last "date" with the writer. :-)

Who knows, they might be able to get another season or two out of the series yet. If nothing else, the performances are all top- notch, as you pointed out, and the overall production is excellent so even if the show itself slips 10%, 20%, it will still be above 104% of the rest of televised garbage IMO.

Brian

Finished it as well. Its no longer as believable as the first 2 seasons but still very entertaining. Outstanding acting by all but especially Kevin Spacy and Buttercup... I mean Robin Wright.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #863 on: June 12, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

Yep, I just finished it yesterday myself.  It is holding in there, but becoming a little more "far out" with each season.  Now working on the latest of Orange is the New Black.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #864 on: June 12, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
Depends on your point of view of course but Fargo is the one that took the 'far out' twist with the last episode. It was based on old Judaic tales and metaphors; all the main characters went to a "bowling alley" but only when the 'host' asked "Is that what you see.... a bowling alley" did we realize the whole thing was kinda'..... off. Not nearly David Lynch off, which is far too 'off' for me, but just enough to make it interesting IMO. Again, really looking forward to the last two episodes of the series and I have high hopes (something I do not hold very often for anything televised unfortunately) for both the end of this season and the ones after this. Fargo is just a great mixture of oddity, commonality, quirkiness, excess and a whole lot of other things in exactly the right proportions. The first time through, I did not care for the movie at all but after watching it 2 or 3 times, I came to appreciate it for what it was rather than what I wanted it to be or expected. In that light, I now find it outstanding. The series is even better IMO, especially the first season with Billy Bob Thorton. The elevator scene when Lorne Malvo asks if this is REALLY what Lester wants is priceless IMO and should go down (Easy Boys!) in movie quote legend. But you have to watch the entire series to appreciate it (it is in the last episode IIRC).

Brian

Yep, I just finished it yesterday myself.  It is holding in there, but becoming a little more "far out" with each season.  Now working on the latest of Orange is the New Black.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #865 on: June 12, 2017, 05:36:44 PM »
Crap, I guess I will have to add Fargo to my ever-growing list of to-do's...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #866 on: June 12, 2017, 05:46:28 PM »
Oh crap, I forgot about Fargo. All three seasons have been amazing. Violent, but amazing.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #867 on: June 13, 2017, 04:05:59 AM »
I'm quite surprised they brought back Mr. Wrench.   Nice twist.  Did you know that he really is deaf?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #868 on: June 13, 2017, 08:20:14 AM »
I'm quite surprised they brought back Mr. Wrench.   Nice twist.  Did you know that he really is deaf?

I forgot about him, that was season 2 right? Is he playing the same character?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #869 on: June 13, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
Nice Jim, now you are giving away the spoilers.... and that one was really very good IMO.

Yep, all the tie- ins on all seasons of Fargo always play the same character, unless they are very different in age, such as when the Indian finds the two boys fighting.... and one is a deaf- mute. He is even wearing the same fringe edged coat. Still plenty tough too (not giving anything away but that guy seems pretty tough to kill).

BTW: the Indian from season 2 shows up this year as the Indian mentor / father to the main character on the series The Son.

Brian

I forgot about him, that was season 2 right? Is he playing the same character?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #870 on: June 15, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
Well, Fargo S3E9 was on last night and it did not disappoint. I must say, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is doing a fantastic job and her character is growing amazingly well.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW:

As in previous seasons, it is coming down to two characters, one expected, one a real surprise. Everyone else is either a supporting player or has been taken out of play. Now if S3 does what the earlier seasons have done, there will be a twist where neither one of the main contestants really wins or loses but rather one <sorta', kinda'> moves on while the other, well, let us just say it does not go well for anyone but the one who walks away. Oh, of course aside from the surrounding, supporting cast, whom all live on without ever realizing what a tumultuous event has happened in the middle of their respective lives.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #871 on: June 15, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
And as an aside, I am getting my son, 31 yrs. old, to watch the occasional 'classic' movie based on my recommendation. Now I know that is probably just a bad idea, but he keeps falling for it. :-)

The last one was 'In the Heat of the Night'. He liked it. Around Christmas time, when he and his wife spent the holidays with us, we watched Casablanca, one of my all- time favorite classic movies and he REALLY liked that one. I am having a hard time breaking through his resistance to 1) black and white movies and 2) a movie with a distinct lack of special effects. Hey, the kid is the post 'Star Wars' generation so it is an uphill climb. Still, he has liked and responded very well to some of my suggestions such as Patton (who could not love Patton?). He also recently watched Mulholland Falls based entirely on my making a supreme effort to convey to him just how bad a movie can be.... and he came away with the same thought (how can one squeeze that much 'suckocity' into a mere few hours is beyond me but Mr. Lynch managed to do it). I am trying to get his to watch '12 Angry Men' (the original film version, 1957) but so far, no luck.

Then again, he is currently reading Henry IV and liking it so perhaps he has no taste at all whatsoever (Henry V is actually very good but it is either the only one or one of the few- I apologize in advance but I think 'The Bard' 'a works suck overall).

Brian

Offline motonerd14

• Arena
  • Nerd & Ziggy
« Reply #872 on: June 16, 2017, 07:09:38 PM »
The object of television is not to entertain you with quality programming. It's purpose is to lull you into a dazed stupor to cause you to be susceptible to the mind numbing commercials so that you will rush to Wally World and buy **** you neither want nor need.

This might be the best description of that technology I've ever heard, and is precisely why I don't have cable anymore. Not sure what kinds of TVs you folks have, but mine has an app called Pluto.tv with live geek-oriented channels. Check it out, some of yon's might like it!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #873 on: June 17, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »
Fargo is getting sooooo good.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #874 on: June 17, 2017, 04:01:32 PM »
Yep, it is a series that takes some time.... 'it' is not in a hurry. But that is part of the reward for watching, in order, and paying attention. Exactly like Breaking Bad, it really does reward the patient viewer who notices nuance. A big difference between the two series though, at least IMO, is that Fargo does not use very much foreshadowing, while B.B. was packed full of it, although that series was perhaps the best use of foreshadowing I have ever seen I think. And not cheesy, cheap or 'in your face' foreshadowing either but subtle. Even some 'postshadowing / foreshadowing', very well done (the flashback episode showing Hector Salamanca as a middle- age man, in good health, sitting outside in a wooden chair that had spoke wheels on it.... just like a wheelchair- fantastic. But back to Fargo, yep great series, great movie, though I did not care for it at all the first time I saw it and it is still delivering 100% I think, 20+ years on.

I am anxious to see the next episode and a little disappointed all at once- next episode is the last for this season.

Brian

Offline motonerd14

• Arena
  • Nerd & Ziggy
« Reply #875 on: June 21, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »
Yep, it is a series that takes some time.... 'it' is not in a hurry. But that is part of the reward for watching, in order, and paying attention. Exactly like Breaking Bad, it really does reward the patient viewer who notices nuance. A big difference between the two series though, at least IMO, is that Fargo does not use very much foreshadowing, while B.B. was packed full of it, although that series was perhaps the best use of foreshadowing I have ever seen I think. And not cheesy, cheap or 'in your face' foreshadowing either but subtle. Even some 'postshadowing / foreshadowing', very well done (the flashback episode showing Hector Salamanca as a middle- age man, in good health, sitting outside in a wooden chair that had spoke wheels on it.... just like a wheelchair- fantastic. But back to Fargo, yep great series, great movie, though I did not care for it at all the first time I saw it and it is still delivering 100% I think, 20+ years on.

I am anxious to see the next episode and a little disappointed all at once- next episode is the last for this season.

Brian

I'm about halfway through Breaking Bad now and am continuously amazed at how well they use the foreshadowing technique. It's never quite predictable, but I'm constantly on the edge of my seat. Shame the episodes are so long or I'd be well past season 3 by now!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #876 on: June 21, 2017, 11:33:54 PM »
I think Fargo had a swing and a miss on the last episode of season 3. Too many loose ends, and no closure IMO. Not a bad year in a great series but at the same time, not the equal of the first two seasons either.

That said, I think it can recover and come back to its forger level next season. If it gets a next season, of course.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #877 on: June 22, 2017, 03:54:37 AM »
The Missing on Amazon Prime.

Damn good show and very well done. We've only watched 3 eps and so far, very good.

The Mist on Prime starts tonight. Highly rated on IMDB, gonna have to check this out.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #878 on: June 22, 2017, 05:26:44 AM »
I think I missed that show.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #879 on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »
Yeah, super job of using that technique plus the timing is all over the place; sometimes it applies to the very episode you are watching, sometimes it applies to an episode or episodes a year or more in the future. You just do not know but they are always woven in wonderfully IMO. Plus they never directly mislead or outright lie in their foreshadowing; they show you exactly how things are and any miss- direction is entirely inferred by the viewer, at least IMO.

BTW- while usually a pretty serious drama, a lot of B.B. is really a black comedy IMO. At least that is how I took it. There are a tremendous amount of really funny scenes or series w/in a lot of the episodes. There is a certain scene involving a roof and a food product; when you get there, I can tell you a great story about that that continues to this day.... :-)

Brian

I'm about halfway through Breaking Bad now and am continuously amazed at how well they use the foreshadowing technique. It's never quite predictable, but I'm constantly on the edge of my seat. Shame the episodes are so long or I'd be well past season 3 by now!