Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303105 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #980 on: July 29, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
Back to Black Mirror. It is OK. Well done, well written series but it is rather dark, it reminds me of the darker, more cynical episodes of The Twilight Zone but in this series, they are all strung together.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #981 on: August 01, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »
fully aware that 99.999% of forumites here will have no idea what I'm talking about but......

Casualty is a long running  BBC medical drama set in a ictional NHS Casualty (A+E) Department, currently in its 31st season.

I must confess I haven't watched it for well over 20 years now but my interest was pricked when they announced they were doing a special edition , the entire 45 minute episode was shot on a single camera in one continuous shot with no editing other than for the intro.

Apparently they got it in the can on only the 8th take.

Absolutely brilliant and 2 of the character are still in it 31 seasons later, remember them from the first ever episode. Oddly they've hardly changed!!
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #982 on: August 01, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
Found an interesting one but it is probably not for everyone. Episodes. The plot itself is not really important but some of the characters are: it has Matt LeBlanc, starring as.... Matt LeBlanc. The particular slant is sort of like Joey (from Friends) but he is smarter, much calmer, far more raunchy and really pretty funny. It is a 1/2 hour show that goes by really fast; if anyone is old enough to remember Soap, they claimed it was the fastest half- hour on TV and it was true. Well, this show is like that.

As I said, not for everyone I think, and it is at least R rated and kind of raunchy so caveat emptor. But I like it a lot.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #983 on: August 02, 2017, 12:00:48 AM »

Stuff Matt Le Blank, Episodes had the lovely Tamsin Greig & the funnier than Matt, Stephen Mangan in

Found an interesting one but it is probably not for everyone. Episodes. The plot itself is not really important but some of the characters are: it has Matt LeBlanc, starring as.... Matt LeBlanc. The particular slant is sort of like Joey (from Friends) but he is smarter, much calmer, far more raunchy and really pretty funny. It is a 1/2 hour show that goes by really fast; if anyone is old enough to remember Soap, they claimed it was the fastest half- hour on TV and it was true. Well, this show is like that.

As I said, not for everyone I think, and it is at least R rated and kind of raunchy so caveat emptor. But I like it a lot.

Brian
--

Offline Conrad

« Reply #984 on: August 02, 2017, 03:44:15 AM »
Back to Black Mirror. It is OK. Well done, well written series but it is rather dark, it reminds me of the darker, more cynical episodes of The Twilight Zone but in this series, they are all strung together.

Brian

Just started this series, watched two eps last night. So far so good.     :thumbs:

Good description Brian.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #985 on: August 02, 2017, 06:30:21 AM »
Perhaps. Those Brits are fine in the show but I do not 'know' them, while I absolutely do know and really like Matt LeBlanc, at least as Joey. And because of this show's unusual format, it presents Matt LeBlanc as Matt LeBlanc but of course with a persona (it IS a sitcom, not an interview after all), and that persona has has just enough Joey, while being far more grown- up and cynical, as to be fantastic IMO. Plus there are a lot of Joey references in the show, which I find are also great.

The two main female 'show' staff are also proving to be excellent- Carol and Morning (yep, that is her name and they really make that work in the show too).

So for an American who was a big fan of Friends, I think Episodes is great; it brings back a great American TV personality and does a great job of presenting him I think. And the surrounding format is good also. So while the Brits are fine and well, there is no familiarity with them; I guess they are the highest echelon of the cast but they end up being the focal point for Matt LeBlanc to be.... well, whatever that character is.

But I can see how and why you would have a different view if you were more familiar with the two main Brit. characters. I also find them good, her OK but a bit of an irritant, and he is actually very good. Just about the time he becomes a door mat, he says something to redeem himself enough prevent total disgust, at least from my point of view.

Other aspects of the show are odd but interesting, such as the producer's blind wife and his relationship with Carol, which is also pretty funny in an odd, rather revolting, way. Probably the more sophisticated British humor not quite being caught by a colonist of limited sensitivities.  ;)

Anyway, finished the first (short) season and I like it a lot.

Brian

Stuff Matt Le Blank, Episodes had the lovely Tamsin Greig & the funnier than Matt, Stephen Mangan in

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #986 on: August 02, 2017, 06:35:20 AM »
Thanks. I actually found it a bit too dark, or maybe it was dark for too many episodes in row. Found I had to leave it for a while. Then again, as usual I was binge- watching it because I had a number of seasons show up all at once. Probably would not be a problem if the episodes were spaced out a bit, as was intended when originally released. I would have had time to purge the melancholy. :-)

The episode with the black guy on the bike particularly bothered me- really dark and it gives 'dystopian' a bad rap.  ;D  Made me want to watch an episode or three of The Brady Bunch or Gilligan's Island to chase away the demons and fill it back up with idiotic contentedness.

Brian

Just started this series, watched two eps last night. So far so good.     :thumbs:

Good description Brian.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #987 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:40 AM »
I attempted to watch "The Young Pope" the other night. Just too bazar for me. Turned it off after about 20 minutes. Has anyone else seen it? Does it get less bazar?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #988 on: August 02, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »
We enjoyed Split, the movie. Don't miss the ending, especially if you're a big M. Knight fan which I am not.

Also saw War of the Planet of the Apes which my wife really enjoyed, and I thought it was OK. I did not see any war, I only saw imprisonment. My least favorite, but still an amazing movie with incredible special effects.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #989 on: August 04, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »
I thought of you and this post instantly when I saw this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/karate-kid-revival-planned-with-ralph-macchio-billy-zabka-w495959

Just what the doctor ordered, a middle- aged, balding Ralph Macchio and nemesis back at it, thirty years later. And no Mr. Miagi (sp?), the person most responsible for making the original amusing.

Brian

No idea why it didn't get a second seasonbut then again if I was to be honest (and I'm trying hard not to spoil it) the story didn't really justify a second  or third season.

Sometimes things are better left in the right place. (Ok moved onto films but...)

Take Steven Spielbergs A.I , Im sorry it didn't need the schmalzy ending meeting his mum again in an alien spacecraft. That film should have ended with him finding the Blue Fairy.

The Bicentennial Man is a brilliant film but it would be a travesty if they ever tried making a second one

Back on TV, Would Fawlty Towers be as good if they had kept flogging away at it?

Gavin & Stacey is another one that has probably ended at the right place after 3 seasons

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #990 on: August 04, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
I just started Narcos.  Not happy with all the subtitles.  Trying to endure it to see if worth the effort....  I do not like lots of subtitles, it makes it very difficult to see what is going on.  And unlike a DVR/TiVo, Netflix doesn't have instant response for replaying a few seconds when I missed some of the words.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #991 on: August 04, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
I thought Narcos was outstanding, and I had to read the sub- titles also (do not speak Spanish). I really have no idea if that version really portrays Pablo Escobar realistically or not but as a character, Wagner Moura was superb IMO. And he is not a native Spanish speaker either, he is Brazilian (Portuguese speakers); I have no idea if he had an accent in Spanish or not but again, the character was excellent, as was the whole cast that interacted directly with Moura (wife, mother, cousin). His twists and turns as he winds his way through life as a drug trafficker, and what he does to support that life, are just great to watch unfold IMO.

Along the same vein, I thought Sacario was excellent also. Benicio Del Toro was about as good as a character gets IMO. And the really good news is that he is making another one as a sequel: Solado, set to release this year. Josh Brolin is back in that one also. No Emily Blunt in the second one but hey, the original did not need her either IMO; the entire film was about Del Toro and those who supported him. Although the part where she points a pistol at Del Toro about pays for her performance IMO (sorry, you gotta' watch a fair amount of the movie to see that scene).

Brian

I just started Narcos.  Not happy with all the subtitles.  Trying to endure it to see if worth the effort....  I do not like lots of subtitles, it makes it very difficult to see what is going on.  And unlike a DVR/TiVo, Netflix doesn't have instant response for replaying a few seconds when I missed some of the words.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:48:45 AM by B.D.F. »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #992 on: August 04, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
My wife would
Along the same vein, I thought

You tried to edit out your wife, but it didn't quite take!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #993 on: August 05, 2017, 01:52:45 AM »
The 'wife' reference and the political slant did not belong or add anything to this thread, so I removed them.

And back to the point, if you have not seen it, try Sacario.

Brian

You tried to edit out your wife, but it didn't quite take!

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #994 on: August 05, 2017, 05:49:13 AM »
nooooooooooo!!!!

I thought of you and this post instantly when I saw this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/karate-kid-revival-planned-with-ralph-macchio-billy-zabka-w495959

Just what the doctor ordered, a middle- aged, balding Ralph Macchio and nemesis back at it, thirty years later. And no Mr. Miagi (sp?), the person most responsible for making the original amusing.

Brian
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #995 on: August 05, 2017, 07:21:20 AM »
if you have not seen it, try Sacario.

Got  several dozen hours of Narcos first, then I will check it out...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #996 on: August 06, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
American Flat Track racing.  Indians whupping HD's.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #997 on: August 06, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #998 on: August 06, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »
SHARKNADO 5......  on SYFY network...
LATEST RELEASE..
followed by #4...meh, ok, but not my favorite...

then....#3.... MY FAVORITE....

if I make it, which I don't expect, the rest follow...

oh, tonight was the debut of Sharknado 5..

will replay next saturday, on SYFY iirc 8 p.m edt.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #999 on: August 07, 2017, 04:05:33 AM »
I attempted to watch "The Young Pope" the other night. Just too bazar for me. Turned it off after about 20 minutes. Has anyone else seen it? Does it get less bazar?

We tried to watch this and lasted exactly 5 mins less than you did.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn