Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303047 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1120 on: November 02, 2017, 01:15:44 PM »
Stranger Things 2 on Netflix. Clearly made for kids but I find it entertaining. I'm 62 going on 12.

I disagree, I think this show is most certainly made for adults.
I Love it.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1121 on: November 02, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »
We watched the first season, my wife liked it better than I did although I though it was OK. We are 'saving' season 2 for her recovery from some minor surgery tomorrow; the surgery itself is not a big deal apparently but the healing portion is long and painful, hence she has been given scripts for some rather strong opiates. This could be bad news 'cause we may have to watch Stranger Things S2 two or more times before it gets all the way into her drug- addled brain- box.  ::)  Then again, if it is not good, I guess I could always steal her drugs so that 1) she will remember watching it and 2) I will NOT remember watching it.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Stranger Things 2 on Netflix. Clearly made for kids but I find it entertaining. I'm 62 going on 12.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1122 on: November 02, 2017, 03:26:27 PM »
Found myself with a little time on my hands and watched 'The Pawnbroker' last night. After years of reading about that flick, I finally actually sat down and watched it. My take- meh. I guess it was quite the trend setter and broke a lot of taboos, as well as dealing with touchy subject matter for the first time in a main- stream movie (it is about a Holocaust survivor, and contains what are apparently the very first female frontal nudity (waist- up only) in American theater) but it just does not have that impact now. In fact, I found it a bit lame. Rod Steiger was excellent of course but overall, meh.

As a piece of trivia, it is also the first film Morgan Freeman appears in; he is un- credited and only a fill- in character with no lines ("man in the crowd on the street") but it is his first movie.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1123 on: November 02, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
Blue Planet 2. More excellent work from David Attenborough & the BBC :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1124 on: November 02, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
Just read that The Twilight Zone is coming back.... again! Looks like CBS is reviving it and it will be available through CBS All Access (the pay service, not over the broadcast arm of CBS).

I always really liked The Twilight Zone, I think because it was a true anthology series. They never did the same thing twice in a row, all the way to the basic plot of each show; some were scary, some humorous, some ironic, some just unsettling. And some episodes were excellent, some OK, some sucked but even that was OK because the next one would be completely different anyway and free from any 'suck-ology' of the last one, if it was terrible.

Of course I do not remember the first- run of the series, "we" (The Twilight Zone and me) started at about the same time so I was still a young kid when it ended. But of course it has been shown in repeats forever so it was easy to see all the episodes, and because it was only 10, 15 years old, I recognized a lot of the actors just getting their start on that series but who had been well established afterwards. Of course I knew William Shatner as Captain Kirk first but later saw him in a couple (three maybe?) episodes of T.T.Z., way back when he had what looks like his own hair. :-)

Others have revived this before with very limited success but I am still hopeful that it may be a very good series. The established baselines are very clear: there are not any, so talented writers, directors, actors and so forth have a pretty blank canvas to do anything, from falling down a flight of stairs to making an excellent episode. Steven Spielberg directed an excellent episode of Night Gallery way back when so we just do not know what may fall out of something like this. Here is to hoping it is good!

Brian

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #1125 on: November 03, 2017, 04:45:05 AM »
Stumbled across "Megan Leavey" on amazon prime. Especially enjoyable if you are fond of dogs.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1126 on: November 03, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
I disagree, I think this show is most certainly made for adults.
I Love it.

I watched a couple more episodes last night and thinking about what you said. On second thought I have to agree with you. Definitely adult situations.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1127 on: November 04, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
Last season of "Blue Bloods". We missed a lot so we are watching it concurrently with the current season so we will be current.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1128 on: November 04, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »
Getting back to Burns' documentary for a minute, I've watched up to Episode 5. My impression is he spent an inordinate amount of time extolling the braying of the leftist anti-war "activists" and far less time on the other side of the issue - even painting those, including McNamara, Johnson, and the other hawks, as misguided chumps who eventually saw the evil of their ways.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1129 on: November 04, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »
One of the problems when we take in outside ideas is that we cast our own imprints onto those very ideas as we absorb them. Basically, this makes is just about impossible for any of us to judge / weigh / analyse anything in and of itself, because of our own pre- dispositions in particular directions.

Please understand I am not knocking you or even all of humanity, merely stating what I believe is how we think, learn and absorb information.

So when watching a documentary, there are three really important things steering heavily in each one's own direction: 1) the data provided. Obviously while an 18 (I think) hour documentary is relatively long, it is a tiny fraction of the actual reality it is trying to represent. So the images chosen, the dialog written to go along with it, the editing and everything else all add up to give a direction to what most good documentary makers hope is a neutral and 'blank canvas'. 2) The actual documentary 'maker'; this may be the director, writer, producer but more likely is a combination of all of these individuals. It is even worse if more than one of those functions are done by the same person, something very much done with Ken Burns productions. And then there is 3), the viewer's biases, all of them. The exact same statement, read by 10 different people, will generate 10 different interpretations of what the writer actually meant.

So all of us will have an opinion on everything but an even stronger one on something like this period of US history because it was so very divisive and is generally seen, at least by Americans, as a period of very poor outcomes for the US.

I guess I have always had an odd view of the Vietnam war (the facet of it between the US and Vietnam) for an American in that I never though the US lost, but instead merely chose to leave because the cost of staying was too high. A good deal of that attitude was being bandied about right here in the US and that was a very powerful part of how things went. But in the end, the US could have stayed in South Vietnam indefinitely, at least going by all the metrics one would measure such an ability; the actual monetary cost, the cost in lives, the cost in persons harmed (rehabilitation, long- term care, etc.) and every other way I know of. We were not forced out, we chose to leave. So I do not view that period as one of failure as much as a painful lesson, learned yet again (history is littered with this same lesson) coupled with the fact that we simply did not get our way.

I think Burns' documentary was very fair and even- handed myself. I was actually amazed to find out that Presidents, and especially Robert MacNamara actually knew that getting involved was risky at best, and an outright mistake at worst and yet felt compelled by many other factors to 'hold the line' in VietNam. And BTW, I am really a pretty big fan of Mr. MacNamara and have studied his career a bit; it was he who worked on the mechanics of how to MUCH more effectively damage Japan through bombing. Put harshly, and as he himself stated it in 'The Fog of War', he and Gen. LeMay found out exactly how to kill many Japanese, much, much faster while minimizing the loss of American air crews..... Those two gentleman basically brought the entire country of Japan to her proverbial knees before the atomic bombs were ever used, and could have and I believe would have continued to do so until an inevitable Japanese surrender in which the use of atomic weapons was virtually irrelevant. But back to the documentary: I personally do not believe there was a right or wrong side of opinion in this country at that time and believe both sides were basically wrong: the anti- war people simply did not have a world view and were fixated on VietNam to the exclusion of all other consideration and so they were simply wrong in that a valid decision could not be based on what was happening in VietNam alone. The facet that wanted to hold the line was wrong in that they thought leaving VietNam would have a great affect on US strength (real or imagined) and world opinion, which would be terrible for the future of the US..... that just was not the case, as we can see all these years later. But each side had what they thought were good, solid reasons why they were correct and that matter was never really resolved, the matter simply ended.

To your point, there were certainly FAR more images of what was going wrong in S. VietNam than N. VietNam, and that itself may be a liberal bias of Mr. Burns, but at the same time, most of the film available from that period was from South VietNam, and no where near balanced between the two countries.

So your view is absolutely as valid as anyone elses' of course, and I am not saying you are wrong. Merely that there are biases on all sides, including the viewer, (of course including me) so it is really impossible to get a truly neutral overview of both the VietNam War itself as well as any documentary made about it. The other problem is that the documentary was made so soon after the actual event, with many of us watching who had actually lived through it; compare this with the Civil War documentary for example, which was produced long after all the participants were gone as well as virtually all their children and even grandchildren. Much easier to take a cold- eyed view of that war IMO.

Brian

Getting back to Burns' documentary for a minute, I've watched up to Episode 5. My impression is he spent an inordinate amount of time extolling the braying of the leftist anti-war "activists" and far less time on the other side of the issue - even painting those, including McNamara, Johnson, and the other hawks, as misguided chumps who eventually saw the evil of their ways.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1130 on: November 04, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
I tend to agree with Eupher. The best was the woman at the end who was sorry for what she did and said to all the veterans and people in uniform, she was crying all her Jane Fonda tears and saying how wrong she was, blah, blah, blah. Zimmerman? is still trying to overthrow our Gov't.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1131 on: November 05, 2017, 06:35:43 AM »
Seeing as you mentioned her, I was never happy with the complete lack of accountability for her actions in N. VietNam.  Not sure if her actions reached the level of 'traitorous' or not but they were certainly close, and she was way, WAY over the line sitting on the AA gun IMO.

Brian

I tend to agree with Eupher. The best was the woman at the end who was sorry for what she did and said to all the veterans and people in uniform, she was crying all her Jane Fonda tears and saying how wrong she was, blah, blah, blah. Zimmerman? is still trying to overthrow our Gov't.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1132 on: November 05, 2017, 06:37:51 AM »
Watched Cool Hand Luke last night. Fifty years on, still a great movie IMO. We have lost a few of the major players in that movie just in the last year or so but surprisingly, Boss Godfrey ('The man with no eyes') is still alive in his 90's.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1133 on: November 05, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
Watched Cool Hand Luke last night. Fifty years on, still a great movie IMO. We have lost a few of the major players in that movie just in the last year or so but surprisingly, Boss Godfrey ('The man with no eyes') is still alive in his 90's.

Brian

One of my fav movies of all time!  :)

And with one of the best movie quotes ever.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1134 on: November 05, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
Agreed. But what really made that quote outstanding is when Strother Martin was a guest host on SNL, he played a French teacher (beret and all) and was teaching a class of incompetents. Finally, in utter frustration he delivers that line to the class..... I think I wet myself a little when I watched that. Truly funny chit! Of course that was way back in the days when we could still have humor: two skits I remember as just outstanding were 1) The Evelyn Woodhead 'slow reading method' a knock against a similarly named speed- reading technique being hawked at the time. In the skit, several people giving testimonials about how the technique made their lives wonderful. One was Ray Charles, and he said that before this course, he read so fast he got blisters on his fingers. I know I wet myself a little for that one. 2) A skit where Eddie Murphy is a director casting the part of Stevie Wonder. He goes through some candidates and who walks out next but..... Stevie Wonder. But instead of that gigantic smile and his head weaving all around, he is stoic and neutral in expression. So Eddie Murphy stands behind him and moves him (Stevie) around, pulls and pushes on his face to make him look and act more like Stevie Wonder, all the while doing an imitation of Stevie Wonder which was actually quite good. Of course in the end Murphy angrily rejects him because he could never imitate Stevie Wonder no matter how much time or effort he put into it. Outstanding!

Another thing that is kind of neat about Cool Hand Luke, just because it is so old now, is some of the actors: Harry Dean Stanton, before he even had three names. Wayne Rogers long before MASH fame. Clifton James, again fairly young, as 'Carl, the floor walker'; later on, he would usually play southerns, and often dolts at that. Of course the outstanding George Kennedy as a young man, or at least not an old man. Terrific cast, many unknowns or very early in their careers at the time.

Brian

One of my fav movies of all time!  :)

And with one of the best movie quotes ever.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1135 on: November 05, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
New Thor movie.   Action was good as was the humor.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1136 on: November 05, 2017, 12:53:18 PM »
New Thor movie.   Action was good as was the humor.

myself and SWMBO were in stitches
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1137 on: November 06, 2017, 04:34:42 AM »
Started watching an Australian TV show "Wanted" on Netflix. Not bad. Kind of Thelma and Louise meets The Fugitive.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1138 on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
Saw "Justice League" last night.  Quite disappointed.  I give it a "C"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1139 on: November 20, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »
Started watching Cosmos over the weekend (the new one hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson (sp?)). For whatever reason, I am not a fan of Mr. Tyson and so did not intend to watch this series but ended up giving it a try and am finding it pretty well done and also warming up to Mr. Tyson as he hosts the show. Through episodes 1 & 2, and a bit of 3. Overall, pretty good I think.

Brian