Author Topic: Need a siphon  (Read 1162 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Need a siphon
« on: October 16, 2018, 06:59:08 AM »
Looking for recommendations for a siphon to remove fuel.  I suspect there are many kinds but some work better than others.  I bought a thing a while back that I thought was a siphon but it's more like a squeeze bulb and draining a 5 gallon tank 1 squeeze/4 oz at a time will cramp your hand rather quickly.

Back story: I have a Speed Triple bike that sat over the winter and into this year (bought a Tuono, didn’t ride the S3) with 93 octane 90% gas/10% ethanol in it.  When I rode it a bit finally about a month ago, the gas had gone bad.  It ran OK for a bit but started running like crap.  I drained the gas and put fresh in and some Techron but that didn’t fix it.  I ended up replacing the plugs (which helped) and put more Techron in it and just rode it a bunch and it cleared up.

I have no desire to deal with that again.  In addition to a C14 which gets most of the miles, I have 2 other bikes that I don’t want to have the same issue with.  The Aprilia Tuono is FI but the Honda CRF 150F is carbureted.  My plan is to drain the gas from all of them (with this new fangled siphon) before this winter and then fill them up with 93 octane ‘no ethanol’ gas with Stabil in it, so I avoid this issue.

Thanks in advance!
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Conniesaki

Re: Need a siphon
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:15:24 AM »
If it's already running bad, it may be too late: Possibly junk in the fuel filter, and possibly in the fuel injectors. Hopefully not,

That said, the shaker siphon is cheap and works good: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shaker-Siphon/16915713

Well, I can't get the vid to post here, but you can just click the link to watch it:

! No longer available

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
No, I fixed the bike (it sells tomorrow, woo hoo!), I just want the siphon to prevent this from happening over the winter to the 3 I still own.

I ordered it, it got great reviews and it's $8.95 with free shipping, can't beat that!

Thanks!
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:17:13 AM »
The valve on the siphon shaker has to be put into the tank it order to siphon.
Because of the valve's size, I don't think the SS will work with a C-14 (or many other motorcycle's) tank.
   {because of the small opening and angle the hose will be difficult to feed into the tank}

You would be better off with a smaller diameter hose.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
You're over-complicating this, imo.

Just fill the tank with quality gas and put an ounce of Sta-bil 360 in the tank.  Problem solved.

Been using Sta-bil for years and never had a problem with gas going bad...  Including on my 32-year-old Honda Nighthawk S.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »

Just fill the tank with quality gas and put an ounce of Sta-bil 360 in the tank.  Problem solved.

Been using Sta-bil for years and never had a problem with gas going bad...  Including on my 32-year-old Honda Nighthawk S.

And be sure to run it to get the treated fuel into the system.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »

You must have missed the part where I was going to siphon out the ethanol and put in 93 non ethanol and put Stabil in it.  Unless there is a downside to putting 93 octane non ethanol?

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 11:37:43 AM »
You must have missed the part where I was going to siphon out the ethanol and put in 93 non ethanol and put Stabil in it.  Unless there is a downside to putting 93 octane non ethanol?
Nope, I didn't miss anything.  When you do something you don't need to do, you are over-complicating it.

As for ethanol vs non-ethanol...  I have never had a problem with the normal ethanol stuff if I use Stabil.  The only station I know of in my area that selss non-ethanol is a no-name "crappy" gas station and the ONE time I tried it, my motorcycle ran like crap.  I'll stick with Top Tier fuel over non-ethanol crappy fuel.  If you can get GOOD non-ethanol fuel, then do what makes you happy.  I'm just saying it isn't necessary.

2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline route66tc

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »

Offline katata1100

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 01:02:44 PM »
I used that harbor freight hand pump to drain the tank in my Jetta tdi when I accidentally put gasoline in it.
Top tier?
In my area, almost all the gas is Tosco, Arco or Chevron , comes via pipeline and I have see trucks deliver to a chevron, then stop down the street and the no name place. It’s all the same. There are few refineries in the country.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
The gas station nearest me is Phillips 66 and sells non ethanol 93.   I run it in any vehicle that requires high octane (all my bikes). Runs like a top.   It's slightly overkill but the fancy VP stuff you can get with Stabil in it that is MADE for storage is non ethanol.   95% of the time, I run ethanol on the road because I'm going through 2-5 tanks a day, but for long term storage, ethanol is known to cause issues.  I'm a tightwad but the downside is a pain, which I just dealt with.  No thanks.