Author Topic: Smart phone Apps we like  (Read 16421 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Smart phone Apps we like
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:14:09 AM »
Ok, as some of you already know, I've made the switch to a smart phone (Galaxy S5).  The main reason was the usefulness of all the apps (applications) that can run on these phones.  I want this thread to be a sounding board for the various apps that make your phone useful.  I'm a utilitarian kind of person rather than social so my preference is for apps that make my life and work easier.  Also like some games.

Here are the apps that I've installed so far:  Flashlight, Neflix, Angry Birds, and Clinometer, Blippar (not sure I'll keep that one, though).  The phone (Verizon) came with a boatload.  Not sure if I'll keep them or get rid of them until I get more familiar with the phone.

Added:

Instant Radar
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:08:00 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

Re: Smart phone Apps we like
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 05:53:48 AM »
apps = applications?   ???

Here I thought that apps = appetizers!

No wonder I was having so many issues with my phone.   :-[
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:05:17 AM »
Google Sky Map (Conrad would like this!)
Instant Radar
TV listings
Simple Battery
Urbanspoon
Hungry Shark 2 Free
Scanner Radio
Flixter
PaperKarma
SwissArmyKnife
4 Pics 1 Word
GasBuddy
CRADAR
DigiHUD
Word Search
Lightning Bug
Spearfishing
Labyrinth Lite

I find it nice to have a few mindless games on my phone (italics).  As my relatives have gotten older I find myself a the hospital for extended periods of time just waiting around.  It's nice to have something to do if there is not a WiFi connection.  Got tired of AB.  I had a dirt bike jumping one that was kind of fun.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »
Google Sky Map (Conrad would like this!)
Instant Radar
TV listings
Simple Battery
Urbanspoon
Hungry Shark 2 Free
Scanner Radio
Flixter
PaperKarma
SwissArmyKnife
4 Pics 1 Word
GasBuddy
CRADAR
DigiHUD
Word Search
Lightning Bug
Spearfishing
Labyrinth Lite

I find it nice to have a few mindless games on my phone (italics).  As my relatives have gotten older I find myself a the hospital for extended periods of time just waiting around.  It's nice to have something to do if there is not a WiFi connection.  Got tired of AB.  I had a dirt bike jumping one that was kind of fun.

+1 I have a Mead 16" Light Bridge Dobson telescope. Massive light gathering bucket but totally simple with no computer or drive. Google Sky is the perfect solution to finding stuff and to figure out what I'm looking at.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
Youtube   

Its free and even if your not into watching vids for entertainment, very handy for working on stuff. Lots of times I've been working on a car or something and was having trouble and  right there in the garage, whip out the phone and find a video of how to do it. Last time I remember doing that was reassembling my Dyson vacuum.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
I use accuweather the most.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
Flipboard... news junkie.
Slacker... music junkie.
Podcasts... music junkie.
Amazon Music Player... see above.
White Noise... background (white) noise maker for traveling.
Leafly... keep track of my herb reviews.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
Evernote
Fandango
Barcode Scanner
Amazon

And the only app I have ever paid for is Calendar Snooze. It allows customization of your calendar events when they pop up, you can snooze them for preset, or custom amounts of time. There is a free version, but the paid version allows more customization.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
if you like music then get Shazam...it can listen to a portion of a song and tell you the name of the song and the artist
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline BlackLit3r

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 08:12:19 AM »
I have used FuelLog to track my fill ups and MPG for the last three years with no issues.
Patrick
Virginia Beach, VA
2001 Connie "Thunder"
2004 Connie "Trooper"

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
It seems there's an app to let a person know when Israel has intercepted an incoming rocket. Somewhat like those that let you know when a goal or a touchdown is scored. Might be of more interest to some than others.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
I appreciate all the recommendations on the apps.  I've started to try some of them out already.  I don't think I need an app for rockets fired, but I guess it's good to know about.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
My son is all over Spotify but I like Slacker. My youngest has been into Quadrophenia so I set up stations for the bands the Mods worshipped. The Who, The Kinks and Small Faces. He has been all over those at age 14 and I can live with his music choices. Calling to cancel my Sirius as the phone is doing everything I get out of my Dodge truck radio.

I use Driver Diary but I looked up the app above and may switch after running concurrently for a while

Picasa keeps all the pics I take with no limit to numbers.

Waze is my new nav and as an added bonus lets me see LEO's and hazards thanks to the interactive social functions. That along with Radar Now steered me around a nasty storm front that left us with 8 inches of rain the other night.

Of course Gas Buddy is a mainstay and Google Plus lets me share stuff easily with only the folks I want to share.

I use Google Drive and it;s associated apps extensively to keep docs close at hand and make new ones.

Amazon is something I use frequently with my prime membership. May use it ever more now that HBO has partnered with Prime Instant Video.

QR Droid (private) is a bar scan program that lets me scan products and find lower prices close by along with pulling up mfrs websites for more info.

Those are the ones I find most useful along with Quick Office.

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »
Waze is my new nav and as an added bonus lets me see LEO's and hazards thanks to the interactive social functions

Waze is one of my favorites too.Weather Tap  is another.
I have been playing with Zello and have spoken to a few COG members.
I like it so now  I have  friends and family on it. Try it!  The Concours Owners Group has a password =    kawasaki
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »
How accurate is the LEO info? What I mean is, this is just stuff posted by others who happen to see an LEO and reported to the app, right? So about how many are you warned about before you get to them.... 1/2? Less?   Also, will the app. warn you or do you have to actually read the screen to 'look ahead'?

I had not heard of these apps before and it is a very interesting idea.

Brian

Waze is my new nav and as an added bonus lets me see LEO's and hazards thanks to the interactive social functions. That along with Radar Now steered me around a nasty storm front that left us with 8 inches of rain the other night.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »
Sorry if these are repeats.
MyRadar - shows the weather radar near your current position.  Comes in faster than The Weather Channel.
AroundMe - shows points of interest near your current position.  Restaurants, gas, bank, hotel, etc. by category and distance from your location.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Waze works pretty well around population centers and is as good as the Wazers (as the users are called) who report the LEO's. I've found them pretty good. False reports occur when a LEO is there, then moves, and no one updates. You can update it just before you pass the spot but if you wait too long, it fades out and someone behind has to do it. It's user driven.

It's also especially good around Atlanta for giving really up to the minute traffic and slowdowns. It reminds me of Facebook crossed with CB radio. You can even message a Wazer ahead of you on the road for a real time update if they respond. The GPS function works well in areas with good phone coverage but seems to run off cell towers. I've found places in rural areas where the Waze app fails for navigation and I have to switch to GPS based systems.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
You're VERY welcome silly cagers.....    keep the ham-muh down we got the WAZE app!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 08:57:29 AM »
Google glympse is a neat app lets you track a persons progress in real time. My step daughter just came down and she sent me  a glympse  which let me see here route on the map.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glympse.android.glympse&hl=en
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »
Google glympse is a neat app lets you track a persons progress in real time. My step daughter just came down and she sent me  a glympse  which let me see here route on the map.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glympse.android.glympse&hl=en
+1.  Handy to use when going to pick up the kids.  I send them one when I leave, and they don't call me asking "When are you getting here?"

We're going to try using it on a large group motorcycle ride.  Occasionally, the group gets separated, and if several of us have Glympse running, hopefully it will help us find each other.  30+ riders with guys that forget to make sure that the rest of the group is behind them when we make turns.   :nuts: 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157