Author Topic: Latest Darwin Awards Nominee  (Read 9989 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Latest Darwin Awards Nominee
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »
Black powder firearms are exempt but I was ignoring them because they are not in common use as it pertains to this conversation.

I specifically mentioned that this limit to cartridges designed to fire a single projectile; shotguns do not have the .50 caliber limit imposed and while they certainly CAN fire slugs, they are meant to and designed to fire multiple projectiles (as in 'shot').

The original .50 AE Desert Eagle was polygon rifled. Because of that, it had no lands and with a major bore diameter of 0.510", the BATFE gage (yes, they have a 'no go' gauge; if said gage drops through a barrel, that firearm is illegal for a civilian to possess in the US without an NFA 'dangerous weapon' transfer sticker, which is not available at all in many states, such as the one I live in). So IMI changed the rifling type to the more conventional land and groove, and left the major diameter at .510" but because of the lands, the minor diameter is small enough to prevent the BATFE's gage from dropping through.

Brian
.50 cal is the biggest hou can own?
Hmm....700 Nitro Express, .68 black pwder, or how about the .950 JDJ?
All legal.
Heck, a 12 ga is .729 dia.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 11:17:04 AM »
Ah, SCUBA. Know what the difference is between a commercial and a SCUBA diver? A SCUBA diver gets out of the water to $h!t.

ROFLMAO but it is true. While it has never happened to me personally, those diving on things such as oil rigs are lowered into the water via a crane, and taken out the same way. The platform is far above the water, and getting the diver in or out of a suit and hard- hat (yep, they still use those) is time consuming, as is lowering and raising him / her into / out of the water. So guess what: once a dive begins, it continues until the task is finished. Now the diver is almost always wearing a dry suit, and some kind of regular, dry garments underneath so if the 'call of nature' must be answered..... well, it ain't pretty. At the end of the dive, and the end of the retrieval, with the diver back on the deck, he / she just gets out of the suit, walks away and takes a shower.

Ya' gots' ta' be tuff ta' be a commercial diver.
Ya' gots' ta' be a lot tuffer to be a commercial diver tender 'cause that is the guy who has to..... er, 'tend' the diver and the diver's equipment, including that suit he just left lying on the deck.

If Roy Scheider was a diving tender, he would have used the line 'We're gonna' need a bigger hose!'.

Can I get a collective 'Ewwwwwww'?

A little  ;D, a little  :o and a fair amount of  :hitfan:

Back to sharks and diving: funny thing but while everyone thinks of that first, there are actually much worse and more common things that divers should worry about, starting with the usual diving stuff such as an embolism, Caisson's disease ('The Bends'), hypothermia but also including things like Barracuda, all the eels with teeth, lots of other non- shark sea creatures, and depending on where one is and what one is wearing, things like sharp corral, poisonous stuff, both animal and mineral (some lethal, most not, all painful and to be avoided) and a host of other things. Funny how we focus in on 'sharks' as the big deal when getting into the water.... I do not know but I betcha' far more people catch stings from those really nasty jellyfish than are even nudged by sharks.

Brian

I can aslo verfie sharks like there meals (clairity ) unwrapped and free of cans of gas :) I was not as glam as the commies, I taught scuba all over the world but every single class was the question what about sharks :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
Black powder [..]

You know entirely too much about firearms :)  I want you present the next time I go to the range...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »
A little  ;D, a little  :o and a fair amount of  :hitfan:

Back to sharks and diving: funny thing but while everyone thinks of that first, there are actually much worse and more common things that divers should worry about, starting with the usual diving stuff such as an embolism, Caisson's disease ('The Bends'), hypothermia but also including things like Barracuda, all the eels with teeth, lots of other non- shark sea creatures, and depending on where one is and what one is wearing, things like sharp corral, poisonous stuff, both animal and mineral (some lethal, most not, all painful and to be avoided) and a host of other things. Funny how we focus in on 'sharks' as the big deal when getting into the water.... I do not know but I betcha' far more people catch stings from those really nasty jellyfish than are even nudged by sharks.

Brian

I was always more worried about the ride to the boat and people than sharks :)
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
Now you have lost me: please explain the difference between people and sharks. Use words, diagrams, metaphors, drawings, pictures, videos and anything else that you think would make a good teaching tool; I have always found one of them a wholly self- interested, task- driven, of exceeding narrow view and interests, seeking self indulgence to the point of cause any amount of damage possible including to itself, and generally falling to the lowest form of any possible existence available to it. It is also very able, cunning, tanacious (my favorite quality in anything) and extremely skilled in many areas. The other one is a fish that is wholly self- interested, task- driven..... well, you get the idea.

Please define identifiable facets that might be used to identify each separately.

One is commonly seen on the 'Animal Planet' network. The other is commonly seen on the 'Crazy Channel' network.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian (a wholly self- interested, task- driven..... well, you know)

P.S. Sorry but am killing time waiting for the National Grip boom truck to show up and taking it out on your folks apparently. :-)

I was always more worried about the ride to the boat and people than sharks :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »
P.S. Sorry but am killing time waiting for the National Grip boom truck to show up and taking it out on your folks apparently. :-)

I, for one, don't mind.  I took the day off to prevent my vacation time from overflowing.  Spent all day at the computer so far, mostly screening music, trying to find something new/interesting/good/different.  Takes a LOT of time/effort.  zggtr.org is a good distraction.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Firearms have shaped and defined my entire life. More accurately, one firearm has shaped my life: John Moses Browning's self- loading pistol, Model of 1911 (M1911 as adopted in 1911, and M1911A1 as a slightly improved version adopted in 1924). Everything I have done, learned, my livelihood, my learning, my education (formal and otherwise) are directly and linearly linked and start when I first me 'Old Slab Sides', 'The Warhorse', when I was 9 years old. Too young to rack the slide by pulling on it but not too young to realize what I had in my hand (Easy Boys! Not that hand, the other one).  Other firearms contributed but nothing at all even approaching Mr. Browning's finest work, IMO of course.

My youngest son served in Iraq in 2010, and told me that there was always some kind of 'chatter' going on outside the reservation where he was stationed. He could usually tell the M4's from the AK's (another true genius, Mikhail Kalashnikov) but could always tell when 'Ma Duece' spoke up from the perimeter edge. Yep, the old Browning M2, a recoil operated, heavy machine gun of a sufficient caliber to penetrate entire engine blocks (what it was designed for), introduced as the M1919 in (yeah) 1919 in 30-06 caliber, adopted in its current form in 1933 in .50 BMG, its current caliber and still in active service as the longest serving military firearm in US history..... OTHER than the M1911). So it turns out one of the best firearm designs ever, designed by one of my all- time heroes, was being actively used to protect my son, one of my favorite people( ;D), while fighting on foreign soil.

I am absolutely serious and the above is entirely true, no sort of about it. I can give you a layout of how that went, well at least so far 'cause I do not know how it ends, at least for me (J.M. Browning died of of a massive M.I., at his design table, in Belgium (Fabrique Nationale specifically, usually referred to as simply FN) as an old man in 1926, while working on an improved version of his M1911, introduced after his death as the Browning Hi-Power or as it is known world- wide, the P35). But probably not in this thread 'cause that would be OFFTOPIC.  ::)

You tell me where to put it (Easy Max! I meant the story) and I will jot something short down. Still waiting for National Grid though losing hope now....

Brian

You know entirely too much about firearms :)  I want you present the next time I go to the range...

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
So I guess the .700 Nitro Express and .929 JDJ fire more than one projectile....
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2017, 08:09:21 AM »
Perhaps....

Buy one, take a photo of the 4473 you filled out that shows a firearm, preferably a rifled firearm, designed to fire a single projectile only that is LARGER than a half- inch (redact your personal information of course) and I will absolutely believe you in your implying that what I am saying is incorrect.

Grab some hen's teeth and a unicorn fart while you are at it for a truly impressive story.  ;D

Brian

So I guess the .700 Nitro Express and .929 JDJ fire more than one projectile....

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »
But they are not illegal, just like full auto firearms. Ftull auto...just pay the tax. Not illegal.
The 700NE and 950JDJ have sporting use exemptions.
But they are not illegal or they wouldnt be made and then made public.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2017, 01:20:27 PM »
I do not know what your point is but sure, OK.

Have a great day.... sincerely, not sarcastically.

Brian

But they are not illegal, just like full auto firearms. Ftull auto...just pay the tax. Not illegal.
The 700NE and 950JDJ have sporting use exemptions.
But they are not illegal or they wouldnt be made and then made public.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2017, 01:50:30 PM »
just pay the tax.

It is more than just a tax- it is additional paperwork and checks and waiting but most invasively- being fingerprinting like a criminal suspect/arrestee.  And those prints will go into every networked print database forever and will be search every time any print is run for any research, ever (making you a possible suspect in anything that ever happens).  And yes, there are those of us who actually are not in that database, and would like to remain that way.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »
It is more than just a tax- it is additional paperwork and checks and waiting but most invasively- being fingerprinting like a criminal suspect/arrestee.  And those prints will go into every networked print database forever and will be search every time any print is run for any research, ever (making you a possible suspect in anything that ever happens). And yes, there are those of us who actually are not in that database, and would like to remain that way.

:rotflmao: Keep believing.  8)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2017, 03:07:22 PM »
WAY OFFTOPIC:

Well, a lot of that does depend on where you are. States such as PA, for example, have handgun registration. But the majority of the country does not.

Most of us fill out a federal form 4473 to transfer (purchase, inherit, receive as gifts, whatever but to come into ownership of a firearm) and while the background check to NCIC is generated by that form, the Gummit does not actually know: 1) if you actually took possession of a firearm, filling out a form does NOT mean one transferred a firearm, it only means one has APPLIED to transfer a firearm) 2) what firearm it is, other than a long gun or a handgun 3) when you took possession of a firearm, other than it was w/in a 30 day window of filling out the form.  I personally have filled out dozens of 4473's and not actually transferred a firearm, allowing the form to expire. And there were (and maybe are) many people who fill out two 4473's (one for a long gun, one for a handgun) each month in the event they find something they want to purchase, there is no waiting period.... more accurately, the waiting period is over and they can take possession immediately upon falling in love with the little fella'.  ;)

But as I said, it varies by state: in a state I have been a resident of, if one took possession of more than one handgun w/in a 5 business day period, the FFL was required to notify both the BATFE as well as the state police. Taking possession of any number of long guns or a single handgun in that time period did not result in the same requirement. Which is why, in that state, some individuals would fill out several 4473's, days apart, if you get my drift.

But while there are certain pools of information that the Gummit, federal and state, has access to, I personally do not believe there is any national, organized database of 'gun registration'. And even if there is, there is so very much..... 'hardware' flying below the radar, it would not do much good IMO.

The non- Americans and quite a few Americans of a specific leaning must find threads like these fascinating and utterly amazing. I have spent some time in Germany and The Netherlands and the people I spoke to there simply could not believe "we" can buy, own, posses, transport and generally 'have' firearms, exactly as we do under our current and previous laws.

Brian

:rotflmao: Keep believing.  8)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »
Hey, I am with you being [not in] that database.

I think.

:rotflmao:

I know I have never been fingerprinted.... I know this because I have been in posession of my fingerprints for decades now know what they have bee up to..... :-)

Brian (is that his real name?)

It is more than just a tax- it is additional paperwork and checks and waiting but most invasively- being fingerprinting like a criminal suspect/arrestee.  And those prints will go into every networked print database forever and will be search every time any print is run for any research, ever (making you a possible suspect in anything that ever happens).  And yes, there are those of us who actually are not in that database, and would like to remain that way.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »
WAY OFFTOPIC:

And thats a problem because ;)

If you're ever bored you could always read up on the UK regulations :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-law-guidance-to-the-police-2012
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »
OFFTOPIC STILL:

Well, this is a moderated forum with rules, and when things go too far astray someone will come along and fix it..... which I think is a fine and good thing. And because this forum does have useful content, organized into fairly neat 'piles' (threads, sections, etc.) and so I try not to pollute a useful thread too badly. This one is more for amusement in the first place I believe so not as serious but I would not go on this long in a thread about, say, C-14 brakes, and if a moderator does.... well, moderate, this thread or my posts, I would not be upset or believe he / she to be in the wrong.

You may be surprised to find just how much many Americans know about not only your current gun regulations but also the history of arms control ('you' had 'arms' long before firearms: 'we' of course did not and that makes a HUGE difference). A lot of us follow it quite closely, as well as the new regulations and general 'gun control' stances in Australia, Canada and other places. For example, I know that <something like> 70% of your entire police force is unarmed although that is changing somewhat rapidly due to more recent terrorist events in your country. Many of us know that firearms are virtually banned in Australia as the result of pretty recent (less than 20 years if memory serves) "mass shootings". The UK has also recently stepped up an already (to us in the US) series of very restrictive firearms laws, resulting in the <virtual> banning of private handgun ownership and closely controlled and very restrictive (again from our point of view) firearms regulation for ALL firearms.

This is a very active and contentious issue in the US for the last 30 or so years and has really 'ramped up' since 2012. There are three sides (there are always three sides in all issues I think):
1) those in favor of tighter firearms regulation from a few more laws to the total ban (a la Australia) of private firearm possession. UPD: Unilateral Personal Disarmament to quote a pro- gun advocate, the late Jeff Cooper.
2) Those in favor of no more firearm restrictions and / or the reduction of existing regulation and control. [photo of Brian here]
3) The great majority who really do not care one way or the other, or if they have an opinion, it is a minor issue at best. [the same way I feel about another hot- button issue in the US, abortion, for example]

I will not go further in this thread because it is not appropriate IMO and will become instantaneously rabidly political, although the vast number of people who really like motorcycles tend to lean toward the pro- gun side, not the pro- gun control side, interestingly enough. I am 100% a majority vote of this forum, of forum members, would be pro- gun.

I will say however, that the majority of the rest of the first- world has an unbelievably incorrect opinion that there are lots of guns "around" here, and a visitor would see them everywhere: not true, other than boni fide, uniformed Law Enforcement Officers, and the second is that there are shootings all the time, all over the place in the US, again extremely incorrect. We do have a significant number of firearms deaths but we must use statistics to understand where, when and why: at my house, in my neighborhood, there has not been a shooting of any kind in decades. You will not see a firearm driving around, walking around, etc. Now, late at night, on the South Side of Chicago, it would be very very different but that is a very isolated place and you would not find yourself there by mistake while visiting or vacationing in the US of A. Yes we have a lot of guns and yes, any citizen in MOST (but not all) areas can buy, own and use a firearm but it is not the 'Wild West' and frankly, would not look strange to you (a Brit.) at all, whatsoever. If there is one misconception about the US I could clear up, that would be it. All the other horrible things you have heard about us is probably true but not the ones about firearms.  ;D

Brian

And thats a problem because ;)

If you're ever bored you could always read up on the UK regulations :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-law-guidance-to-the-police-2012

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2017, 12:29:10 AM »
OFFTOPIC STILL:

Well, this is a moderated forum with rules, and when things go too far astray someone will come along and fix it..... which I think is a fine and good thing.

However this is the "Open Forum" and its my thread so I hereby declare this tangential discussion On Topic , so there :p

Actually on balance I'm not really that surprised that the UK gun regulations are that well known, it makes sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's a statement in the UK guidelines which says firearms ownership is a "privilege not a right" which is probably the core difference in attitudes

Regarding the Police here you are correct, other than airports and a few key places the carrying of firearms by them overtly is rare. However covert carrying (usually in a locked container in the boot[or trunk as you insist on calling it] of a rapid response vehicle) is becoming more usual. (quite often there will also be  full riot gear in there as well) .

That said there is one exception to the generalised rule of thumb  and that is that that all members of the Police Service of Northern Ireland have authority to carry a personal issue handgun as a matter of routine, both on duty and off

Carrying of mace & tasers overtly is more prevalent .

What we do have over here I think is possibly more knife related issues hence why our coppers pretty much all wear ballistic vests
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 06:10:22 AM »
What we do have over here I think is possibly more knife related issues hence why our coppers pretty much all wear ballistic vests

Yep.  So then knives are banned.  So then they switch to cars and just running over people.  So next you can ban those...

Axes, tire irons, baseball bats, brass knuckles, slingshots, box cutters, razor blades, rocks, ballpoint pens, hands....  so many wonderful things to be banned!  Eventually it will just be war with pudding.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 06:25:31 AM »
If they start with the blood pudding I'm out.  :_shudder_Emoticon