Author Topic: Rostra Help  (Read 6209 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Rostra Help
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »
I'm about to order my CC kit so this I'm book marking this thread  :thumbs:

If you need ANY help don't hesitate to ask me. I'm a good source, not because I'm the master at doing this (far from it), but because I went through the fire on this one!!

Just to let everyone know, if I wouldn't have missed that ONE wire I'm confident it would have worked right away (thanks to Brian's instructions). The throttle cable thing...well...that was just an oversight on my part (working too fast) and didn't have the bracket holding the "snap-in" nut low enough.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »
Brian,
I can't remember if I mentioned this to you when I did mine 2 years ago on my '11 model, but there is a connector color difference/some wire color differences Kawai made starting 2010 from the '08/09's.
Not sure why they made the changes...

Regarding the clutch (NSS) tie-in with the Rostra unit which seems to be the big stumbling block...I have a 2012 and I tapped into the "black" (looks black or very dark brown) in the harness coming from the clutch to the connector in the boot (the largest connector). My wire was a solid color coming into the connector but is red with a green stripe leaving the connector. My big hang-up with that was looking at the wires coming out of the connector and not what was going in. I had no idea the wire colors changed like that ???.

Also, I used "bullet connectors" and "crimp-on insulated splice butt connectors" instead of soldering (because I suck at soldering) in all of my wiring. Hope that helps!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
There have not been any changes to the color codes of the wires in that harness in any year C-14, from 2008 to current (2014). You folks that "find this error" are looking at the other side of the connector. If you turn the connector around, you will find the black wire (it may or may not have faint white dots on it).

Unfortunately someone "found" "that error" quite a while ago and 1) the legend was born that there are some C-14's that do not have the black wire for the NSS connection; this is absolutely incorrect. And 2) people keep on "finding this error" and reporting it.

Japanese vehicle manufacturers typically change wire color codes as the wires pass through a connector. This is why the wire I show being tapped into is sometimes "not there" on a particular bike; you are looking at the other side of the connector where the same wire (or same circuit) color changes from black to 'Red / Green'. Either wire can be used, either Black or Red with a Green stripe because they ARE THE SAME WIRE, just on opposite sides of the connector.

The identical problem exists with the VSS wire connection on the bike: my tutorial clearly shows tapping into the pink wire located between the connector and the VSS sensor on the bike. Now, there is a pink wire on the other side of that connector, in other words, on the harness that is part of the bike and not the VSS sensor but IT IS NOT THE SAME WIRE. DO NOT tap into the pink wire on the bike side of the connector, only the VSS side of the connector. So again, the tutorial is absolutely correct for all year C-14's but you MUST connect to the side of the connector I specify, both in the text as well as in the photos.

Brian

Brian,
I can't remember if I mentioned this to you when I did mine 2 years ago on my '11 model, but there is a connector color difference/some wire color differences Kawai made starting 2010 from the '08/09's.
Not sure why they made the changes...

If I get time, I'll take the cover off and remind myself what the differences are, and send some pics if you want to update your tutorial.
I remember running into that on mine, but don't remember it being too tough to figure out.

Bob
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com