Author Topic: Lubing cables  (Read 1049 times)

Offline john4458

Lubing cables
« on: August 10, 2020, 05:39:17 AM »
After extended time riding in the rain, just about everything that moves or rotates on my bike started feeling pretty stiff (easy boys!). So I lubed all the pivot points, cleaned the throttle tube and yet the throttle still felt kinda' draggy. So I lubed the cables with this new-fangled "dry" spray lube from Liquid Wrench. It is some kind of ceramic dry lube suspended in a solvent that evaporates. After using that I think the cables felt even worse. So back to the tried 'n true silicone spray. The throttle felt a lot better for about a day and then started to get sticky and draggy again. Silicone spray leaves some kind of waxy film behind and I know better than using that on cables but I did it anyway. So finally I used some graphite lock lube that is also in some kind of petroleum vehicle; the lube goes on wet but dries quickly and leaves behind a fair amount of graphite. I just drizzled it down the cable ends and now they are about 80% of the way to perfect. The lube probably didn't make it all the way to the end of the cables so I will do it again.

The moral of the story is not to use the incorrect lube on cables or things might get even worse than they were when you started. I seem to be slow learning this one but maybe someone else can catch on quicker....

^ลิ้งดูบอล^

Offline muguvian

Re: Lubing cables
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:32:44 AM »
Motion Pro makes a tool that clamps onto the end of the cable and allows the use of an aerosol can straw to force the lube under pressure into the cable sleeve.  Spray until it drips from the far end so you know lube makes it all the way through the sleeve.  Simple and works well, been using one on all my bikes for years but especially the dirt bikes.  When I was working with military aircraft I found Kroil (Kano) to be my favorite penetrant/lube.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0182

Online Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 03:40:23 AM »
Almost all "modern" cables are PTFE lined so should need little or no lubrication.
If you live in a very dry dusty climate then cleaning out the crap in the cable is what is needed more than actual lubrication so the so called "dry" lubes are useless.
I've tried all kinds of lubes for speedo/throttle/clutch cables over the years and yet I keep coming back to using WD40 or any old Penetrating Oil.
If you have to spray a cable more than once per year then it's time to buy and fit a new cable as it's probably damaged or badly worn.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 10:26:38 AM »
Page 248 of my owner's manual states:

Lubricate the following cables with a pressure cable lubber [sic]:
* Throttle inner cables

Apply grease to the following points:
* Throttle inner cable upper ends

And then it says those maintenance items should be done by a Kawa dealer (yeah, right).

I ordered a Motion Pro luber off Amazon for $10, shipped.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90