Author Topic: C14 windscreen options  (Read 10083 times)

Offline Paulmc

C14 windscreen options
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »
I know this is a common topic but I was unable to get an answer.  I'm  5'11" and am looking for a screen  to stop the buffering. I don't want it to be like a Goldwing but the buffering is driving me nuts. I have the MRA but that didn't solve my issue. Let's here your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: C14 windscreen options
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
This is a very subjective subject.  What works for one, may not work for the other.  If you have other members in your area you may want to meet up and switch screens before you buy.  Many screens come up for sale in the For Sale section..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:41:40 AM »
Might want to check the 'Try a windshield' thread.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=914.0

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »
Where are you located? I have CeeBaily Euro cut that i dont use id sell cheap, but im not interested in shipping or messing round with all that.

Offline Paulmc

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
I'm in Dunmore PA.

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 01:53:26 PM »
I'd try the Madstad Brackets.  They adjust the angle of the windshield and allow air underneath.  Really smooths the airflow behind the windscreen.  You can use them on whatever windshield you have mounted.  Do a search on the other site and see what folks have said.  I've had mine for a while and love 'em.  I'm 6 ft and have used it on a Cee Bailey and the MRA Vario. 8)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:43:32 AM by amphibsailor »
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Paulmc

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 10:42:46 AM »
Thanks I will check into them.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 02:28:43 PM »
This is a very subjective subject.  What works for one, may not work for the other. 

That is for sure.  :goodpost:

Like gPink said:  try a windshield for free

People always saying how tall they are as well. A 6'2" guy with a 29" inseam is going to have different needs than a 6' 2" guy with a 35" inseam.
I'm not even sure that all agree what "buffeting" is. 
The Madstad brackets allow more variables than any other item I know of for windshields and it is what I would put on a rental bike so it would accommodate the most people. However it did not improve things for me in any position. 
Different helmet shapes combined with different windshields also muddy the water. 
I spent too much money trying different things including cutting round holes and funny shaped holes and different shields before I finally settled on a 2015 OEM shield with the vent.
The try a shield for free process may or may not find the answer for you, but it saved me a lot of money by letting me try all the wrong answers for only the price of shipping.
 Best wishes in your search.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:49:36 PM »
Im 6'4" and i had buffering with the CeeBaileys euro cut hence why i went with the  Ultra Tour Dome and it is perfect.

Offline Paulmc

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 01:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'll what's out there and hope one of these shields fixes it.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »

Ride an old C10, be 5'10" and use the stock windshield, you'll know what buffeting is.  LOTS of noise and your head gets slapped around more non stop.

OP didn't say what year of bike he had?  1st gen and 2nd gen have different screens.  I am happy to say I love my stock screen on my 2012.  It's just dumb luck really that I fit   in the happy spot.   Not saying it would work for others.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 05:00:10 PM »

Ride an old C10, be 5'10" and use the stock windshield, you'll know what buffeting is.  LOTS of noise and your head gets slapped around more non stop.
Well, if could have made myself 5'10" I would have done it in my teen years....but no luck. Stuck at 5' 6.5" but at least I lucked out with a 32" inseam. These guys at 6'2 and a 29" inseam get the worst of both worlds. ..but I digress.

I'm sure we've (the forum) had these discussions before, but I think I agree with you as to what buffeting is (I think buffering as some call it, is really a chemical property similar to what Bufferin aspirin claims to use). Buffeting (IMO) is a random left right blast to your head without any predictable pattern that you can adjust to. Now some seem to think that buffeting is just a simple blast of air that one should expect to get when going down the highway at 70mph. The difference seems simple enough to distinguish the two, but I've heard over and over people complaining about the noise and push back of the "buffeting" because their windshield doesn't go high enough to block the air. Then there is back pressure which further complicates the whole thing, but I think most of us agree on what that is. Don't we?

..anyway I was just agreeing with V'jim about how futile it is to predict what is going to work for someone else when we have different heights, different helmets, different inseams, different arm lengths, different seat heights, and different definitions of what buffeting is. The fact that two people are 5'11" and a certain windshield is perfect for one means that it'll just be coincidence if it also is perfect for the other person.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 03:54:38 PM »
..anyway I was just agreeing with V'jim about how futile it is to predict

Exactly.  I have said it many times.  There are a zillion factors that can go into "buffeting".   You simply can't compare experiences from one person to another without taking all those factors into consideration.  Aside from that, it is just trial and error and perhaps some general guidelines.

I have had hardly any "buffeting" on the C14 with my body and setup and equipment.  And when I changed ONLY THE HELMET to a different model, what little I had went completely away.  I can even STAND ON THE PEGS and move my head any which way and have no buffeting.  Yet rarely does anyone talk about what exact helmet they are using when complaining about buffeting (but it is apparently a MAJOR factor).

Standing height (alone) is a pretty much a completely and utterly useless metric when discussing anything about a motorcycle, but it seems to be the primary or only metric that people depend on for some reason (and for many topics).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
I know this is a common topic but I was unable to get an answer.  I'm  5'11" and am looking for a screen  to stop the buffering. I don't want it to be like a Goldwing but the buffering is driving me nuts. I have the MRA but that didn't solve my issue. Let's here your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hey Paulmc, I'm coming to your rescue ;)

I have tried 9 or 10 different windscreens :-[ so I know windscreens!

I am 6'1 and have tried stock, VStream (tried to slot the holes so I could slide this one higher on the mount and trashed it early on), CeeBaileys (2 different versions), CalSci 2 different versions), MRA (twice :-[ :-[) Aeroflow and am back to the VStream (a new one)

I prefer the look of the VStream to the others but it was never "quiet" or "smooth"...until I recently that is. I added a clear MRA XCreen spoiler to the VStream and man, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Now my ride is SMOOTH and QUIET! It added the extra height I needed and at the same time really smoothed out the wind that does get through. It makes the wind smoother just like the full MRA windscreen/spoiler assembly (AKA XCreen windscreen) but is much quieter than that (the MRA XCreen windscreen was never quiet). The spoiler has extension arms that can be assembled but I have it on my bike without the arms and it works so good!

BTW, I too have the Madstad brackets but even those weren't that good. They made the noise behind the VStream more tolerable but still wasn't what I was hoping for.

The XCreen spoiler on the VStream or, from what I can tell, any windscreen (even stock) makes a HUGE difference! I love th esetup and will do it again when I buy my new C14 after IMS in November (wanna see what the 2017 looks like before buying the new one). I will probably buy the 2016 and will add the XCreen spoiler to the stock screen and call it a day for the windscreen! It's a GREAT solution!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 04:33:32 PM »
I have had hardly any "buffeting" on the C14 with my body and setup and equipment.  And when I changed ONLY THE HELMET to a different model, what little I had went completely away.  I can even STAND ON THE PEGS and move my head any which way and have no buffeting.  Yet rarely does anyone talk about what exact helmet they are using when complaining about buffeting (but it is apparently a MAJOR factor).

That's because you never ride over 30mph...THERE"S NO BUFFETING AT 30!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Sorry max, had to say it :chugbeer:
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 05:26:38 PM »
That's because you never ride over 30mph...THERE"S NO BUFFETING AT 30!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Sorry max, had to say it :chugbeer:

:P

I will admit that I haven't been over 120MPH on the C14... yet.  That is all I will admit to at this time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc