Poll

Vote to be part of the KIPASS BYPASS MOD by BDF

Vote to be part of the buy....
100 (87.7%)
Don't press this button.......
14 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF  (Read 191792 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
Yes, exactly right. You can open / reconnect the gray connector and it will accomplish the exact same thing as using my harness. Further, you can cut and splice a fuse holder, or switch, into the bike's harness and have the same effective performance that my harness provides. I worked out how to do that very thing way back in the early days of the C-14 and posted that info., along with photos, on this very forum at least as early as '08 (might have been '07). What my harness offers is an easy, neat and unobtrusive way to get into the activation circuit without taking anything apart (after installing it of course) and being able to return the bike to fully stock; that can't happen if the wiring is spliced.

No matter what method is used, once the activation switch is sticking the only way to fix it is to take the ignition switch assembly apart, free up the original switch or replace the assembly. Kawasaki does the former and further installs a heavier spring to help alleviate the problem in the future. I would assume they are using this new, heavier spring in the later model bikes but we have seen 2011 models suffer from the same stuck activation switch as the original '08s.

To the best of my knowledge, Kawasaki is fixing sticking activation switches only after they actually stick and will not act preemptively. That said, everyone can check with his / her dealer to see if something can be done before that switch sticks.

And as always, there are plenty of references to KiPass on this forum: some real, a lot imagined and almost all of them humorous in some way or other.

Brian

So just to make sure I have this right -- if I don't get the harness, and I have the problem, I can remove the left side black panel and disconnect/reconnect the gray connector, start it immediately, and I'm good to go.  Then presumably I would go to the dealer and they would replace the spring, and it should not happen again.  Right?

Has anyone gone to a dealer to see if they would replace the spring on a pre-emptive basis since it's a known issue and they must have a TSB or some communication from Kawi on it?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
Email sent.  Thanks for the additional info. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2012, 06:44:15 AM »
Yes- the pigtail with the fuse is simply tucked under that black panel if you need it- then you just reach under, pull out the fuse holder and remove the fuse cover and fuse. Replacing the fuse will initiate the LCD and KiPass. You can actually do it while sitting on the bike and the fuse can be removed / replaced with only one hand. Also, if you will be starting the bike a few times the fuse cover can actually be left off until the ign. is fixed so that it is easier and faster to get to the fuse. The fuse can be left hanging without any risk as it cannot hang down far enough to cause any trouble. Again, once the ign. is repaired the cover would be put back on and the fuse holder again tucked up under that black cover.

By the way, you could attach the fuse holder cover to the black panel with some double faced tape but I would not recommend it as that would make it more difficult to access when / if you ever need to, especially in the dark.

Brian

A minor fix was in order Brian.     ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2012, 07:09:30 AM »
Absolutely true, KiPass is highly reliable. Then again, how many cars suffer a flat tire..... and how many carry spare tires?  ;)

Brian

A minor fix was in order Brian.     ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2012, 07:13:19 AM »
Absolutely true, KiPass is highly reliable. Then again, how many cars suffer a flat tire..... and how many carry spare tires? ;)

Brian

Quite a few of us, actually..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2012, 07:17:21 AM »
Quite a few of us, actually..

But two spares Jim? That's a bit much don't you think?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »
Sigh...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 94gixxerod

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
I'm in, as well.

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
Hey, I originally wanted to use at least four in series but Brian thought that was a tad too much. I think it sort of looks like a halo on me....

Kirby

But two spares Jim? That's a bit much don't you think?    ;)
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2012, 07:41:08 AM »
The first batch is spoken for and will ship tomorrow, 21 Feb. If I missed anyone I apologize but it got a little fast and furious on my end with both e-mails and private mails coming in. Please let me know and I will have additional harnesses by the end of this week.

For those who purchased the harnesses, thank you and I hope you find it to be a quality product that works well. If you have any trouble with installation just contact me and we can work through it.

If anyone else wants one of these harnesses, I will have more by the end of this week. E-mail me and you can get in on the next batch.

Thanks again,
Brian

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
Got mine today Brian.  Thanks.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
Great. I believe you are the very first person to get one. Let me know how it works for you and if you have any questions or problems just let me know.

Brian

Got mine today Brian.  Thanks.

Offline 94gixxerod

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
Brian, received mine, as well.  Looks like a quality product. Will install this next week, after I get my bike out of the shop. I hope to never need to use the feature, but
thanks for the peace of mind!
Tim

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2012, 11:36:36 AM »
Brian,
I rolled the bike out of the garage and about 30 minutes later the Bypass was installed and tested.  The instructions were outstanding and the install was very easy.  I decided to remove the windshield since it only takes a couple minutes because the push/pull pin was not cooperating with the re-install.  That was the hardest part of the entire process.  Here are a few photos of the install.  I used a little velcro and attached the Bypass to the lip of the black panel on the backside for easy access.  I need to remember to add an extra fuse in the road bag just in case.  I know Kipass failures are minimal but I did not want to be on the side of the road taking things apart on a vacation in unfamiliar areas.  This can literally be used as a quick fix solution to get you back on the road in a matter of seconds.  I am guessing that the 50.00 price may have scared a couple guys off but it is well worth it for the peace of mind.  Kipass was the biggest fear that I had while on vacation and this eliminates that now.  Thanks for making a plug and play component.

Plug is inside the large black rubber cover

Gray connector exposed as well as the front accessory leads

Installed and ready to be tested

Plenty of wire to access the fuse
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:06:32 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and glad to hear a 'field report'.

The velcro is an excellent idea and will be incorporated into future versions; sorry I did not think of it to all of you first generation harness owners. You can pick up a small square of self adhesive 'hook and loop' fastener readily though at almost any retail store.

One minor correction though- you will never need a spare fuse for that harness. The fuse is only being used as a way to break / make contact and is far too big to ever be opened in that circuit. The circuit itself is protected by a fuse already on the bike, and much lower in current rating than the one supplied in the harness.

Brian

Brian,
I rolled the bike out of the garage and about 30 minutes later the Bypass was installed and tested.  The instructions were outstanding and the install was very easy.  I decided to remove the windshield since it only takes a couple minutes because the push/pull pin was not cooperating with the re-install.  That was the hardest part of the entire process.  Here are a few photos of the install.  I used a little velcro and attached the Bypass to the lip of the black panel on the backside for easy access.  I need to remember to add an extra fuse in the road bag just in case.  I know Kipass failures are minimal but I did not want to be on the side of the road taking things apart on a vacation in unfamiliar areas.  This can literally be used as a quick fix solution to get you back on the road in a matter of seconds.  I am guessing that the 50.00 price may have scared a couple guys off but it is well worth it for the peace of mind.  Kipass was the biggest fear that I had while on vacation and this eliminates that now.  Thanks for making a plug and play component.

<snipped photos>

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »
Gotcha, if I recall it is a 10A on the 2009 models.  I may still pack one in case my club hands lose it in the process of trying to break the circuit, hopefully I will never have to be in that position.  If it can happen I seem to be the guy who has the bad experience.  I actually taped up the hole for my windscreen mechanism during the install so the push/pull pin could not fall through so that explains where my mindset is.  Thanks again.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
Mine arrived today and I'm very pleased with it. The instructions are excellent and the part is very well made.  Installation is no big deal at all due to these pics and excellent instructions. Thank You!  It evne caused my wife to ask, "What the hell is THAT?"

ang

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
Arrived and installed. Nice product, very well made. Thanks, Brian!

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
I got mine today also. I will install tomorrow and take some pics.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline koval68

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
Arrived and installed. Nice product, very well made. Thanks, Brian!
Lucky you! Still waiting for mine.......and I think CSIS is watching my house :o  ;D
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi