Author Topic: Adventure Tour?  (Read 7049 times)

Offline texrider

Adventure Tour?
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:10:16 AM »
Posting this to solicit comments about C14 vs Adventure Tour type bikes. I've been entertaining the notion of what could be next for me, and have looked at several ATs. Test rode the Triumph Explorer 1200, looked at the KTM 1190, Super Tenere, Guzzi Stelvio, etc.

I like the idea of a long range highway capable taller machine, and poor pavement or good fire road and trails-abilities.

Have any of you made the switch, or added one to your stable of bikes?

The new machines all seem to be throttle by wire, and every bike or vehicle I've driven with it has a weird jerky abruptness because of that system. Do you ever get used to that?
2014 Valkyrie

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Adventure Tour?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Well, I wrote a pretty long reply, but the internet ate it in the process of posting it.

Long story short...

I rode the KTM 1190 Adventure (standard, not R) on Friday. It's a very nice ride. Pretty quick, buzzy at high RPM (illegal speeds), and I've been told the touring cases are NOT water/dust proof.  :o OTD price is $16,740 in Arlington, TX.

Going to try the Triumph Explorer just as soon as the dealer gets his demo bike back. Seems he lets people take it for a couple of days, rather than a few minutes around the block. He's selling the 2013 non-XC version for $14,100, plus tax, etc. (~$16,000 OTD?) Up until last week, Triumph was throwing in a free set of panniers. The XC version would be great, but it only comes in Army Green  :o. (This bike might be my fallback position.)

One riding buddy has a new BMW GS. I've rode it and it's pretty nice. But, I wasn't paying close attention as Adventure bikes weren't on my radar at the time. He's going to let me take another spin on it as soon as the weather cooperates, although he's taking it to Big Bend next weekend. I'd strongly consider it, except for the price.

Two friends have the Super Tenere. It's a big, HEAVY bike. not my cup of tea.

BUT ... drumroll please ... I got back on my Connie after the KTM ride. Dang, it is such a nice ride. Super smooth, acceleration is amazing. I guess I could put on a set of knobby tires for the offroad parts.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline texrider

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:03:57 PM »
I think the Guzzi and Triumph speak to me louder than the Tenere or KTM, though they're all nice bikes.
It's a rainy day today, so I spent some garage time with the connie and changed out the air filter, tightened up hose clamps, and generally had a good look around.
Figured I might as well go ahead and pull the flies while into it  ;)
Who knows, might save myself eight grand after all 8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline tomp

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »
The GS models are heavy and need High Dollar maintenance. ( have had a couple of RT's)  I had a Triumph 1050 Tiger, and it was an under powered PIG. I didn't like how the 1200 Triumph felt but may fit you better.   
If it were me, I would go for the new VStrom 1000, now available.  I had the original version, and on the highway and paved back roads, it was fantastic.  Sucked on dirt/gravel, though, (but it had pure street tires).  Unsure if the new model is better off road, but on the highway, will probably be a wonderful Adventure bike.  I just bought my C14 last week so I am still in the honeymoon stage with it.  Good luck and test ride a lot before spending the $$$$ wanted for today's ADV rides.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »
The GS models are heavy and need High Dollar maintenance. ( have had a couple of RT's)  I had a Triumph 1050 Tiger, and it was an under powered PIG. I didn't like how the 1200 Triumph felt but may fit you better.   
If it were me, I would go for the new VStrom 1000, now available.  I had the original version, and on the highway and paved back roads, it was fantastic.  Sucked on dirt/gravel, though, (but it had pure street tires).  Unsure if the new model is better off road, but on the highway, will probably be a wonderful Adventure bike.  I just bought my C14 last week so I am still in the honeymoon stage with it.  Good luck and test ride a lot before spending the $$$$ wanted for today's ADV rides.  tp

From what I've read, the new V-Strom is still a highway queen and not good for any kind of off-road. I'd keep my Connie before I'd go that route.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
I think the Guzzi and Triumph speak to me louder than the Tenere or KTM, though they're all nice bikes.
It's a rainy day today, so I spent some garage time with the connie and changed out the air filter, tightened up hose clamps, and generally had a good look around.
Figured I might as well go ahead and pull the flies while into it  ;)
Who knows, might save myself eight grand after all 8)

The only think I know about any Guzzi is a friend that bought one (not a Stelvio). They immediately road took it on a trip and things started to break and fall off right away. Said it was a major POS.

Another buddy got a new Triumph (the base model), but he had so much lowering work done that I can stand flat-footed and have 4"-5" of seat clearance. Not sure riding his will tell me anything. (He's really short in the inseam.)

Offline tomp

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
Wally, Have to agree with you on that reasoning on the 1K VStrom.  Being new to me, I'm unsure whether the 14 is stable off road, but have an R1150RT, that is rock solid on gravel roads, with PR3's, but not as exciting on the pavement as the 14.

Offline clogan

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
I REALLY like my KLR. Sorta misses the acceleration of the C14, but once I'm up to speed, the 35 hp KLR engine keeps it going just fine. It goes anywhere, gets great mpg, is easy to work on, and parts are widely available. got panniers and a tail bag, so I can carry waaay more stuff than I'll ever need.

I rode a demo KTM 1190'Adventure, and it really reminded me of my KLR. Of course, the KTM had five times the power, twice the cylinders, and better brakes, but the handling and riding position immediately brought my KLR to mind. I bought my KLR with 30 miles on it for $4 grand; the KTM was $18. The KTM is a great bike, but it's not worth 4 and a half KLRs. At least, not to me.

If I was forced to pick one solitary bike, it would be a KLR. But I'm truly glad to have the C14 to go with it.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline tomp

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
I REALLY like my KLR. Sorta misses the acceleration of the C14, but once I'm up to speed, the 35 hp KLR engine keeps it going just fine. It goes anywhere, gets great mpg, is easy to work on, and parts are widely available. got panniers and a tail bag, so I can carry waaay more stuff than I'll ever need.

I rode a demo KTM 1190'Adventure, and it really reminded me of my KLR. Of course, the KTM had five times the power, twice the cylinders, and better brakes, but the handling and riding position immediately brought my KLR to mind. I bought my KLR with 30 miles on it for $4 grand; the KTM was $18. The KTM is a great bike, but it's not worth 4 and a half KLRs. At least, not to me.

If I was forced to pick one solitary bike, it would be a KLR. But I'm truly glad to have the C14 to go with it.

Funny, but I just traded my'12 KLR on the C14.  Great bike (2nd one) but where I live 75+ mph is average hiway speed, and I always felt at that speed, the KLR was just a few seconds from tossing me off.  Off pavement roads were a blast on the 650, though... tomp

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
Wally, Have to agree with you on that reasoning on the 1K VStrom.  Being new to me, I'm unsure whether the 14 is stable off road, but have an R1150RT, that is rock solid on gravel roads, with PR3's, but not as exciting on the pavement as the 14.

Don't get me wrong. I would never try to take my Connie offroad on anything but hard packed, smooth dirt roads. And then not for long. I'm just saying before I'd buy another bike that wasn't really capable of offroad, I'd just keep the Connie and stay on the pavement. It's got to be much more fun than the new V-Strom could ever be.

Offline tomp

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I would never try to take my Connie offroad on anything but hard packed, smooth dirt roads. And then not for long. I'm just saying before I'd buy another bike that wasn't really capable of offroad, I'd just keep the Connie and stay on the pavement. It's got to be much more fun than the new V-Strom could ever be.

And a bunch faster, too.  The Strom surprised me with it's speed and cornering ability, but the 19" front wheel does change the feel in the twisties.   I thought about the new Strom before buying the 14, but the great asking price on the 14 help make up my mind. 

Offline texrider

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 09:07:08 PM »
The Explorer was fairly peppy on the highway, and seemed to handle and brake well. The high handlebars felt odd, and the throttle very sensitive to road bumps.

The Stelvio sits well and natural, has that huge fuel range, and looks the tough part alright, but I'd sure get some miles on one before taking a chance buying...

2014 Valkyrie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
From what I've read, the new V-Strom is still a highway queen and not good for any kind of off-road. I'd keep my Connie before I'd go that route.

And I have read that it surprised testers on how well it did off the pavement. The latest Strom is going to be a good seller for Suzuki, there is no better ADV style bike out there for both the money and the dependability that goes along with it. I take my V-Strom 1000 off pavement allot, I can assure you it does just fine. Tires and suspension settings can do wonders, as y'all know all to well. On the road I think it is better for me than even the C-14 was, I am more comfortable and it will cruise at 100 MPH all day if you so desired. The Tenere is not a big heavy Pig at all, have 2 buddies with them who have pretty extensive offroad experience, they are quite impressed with how well it does. The latest S10 is even better, I will not rule that out as my next machine. I love my 2006 V-Strom however, it does everything well that I ask of it "for me".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
And a bunch faster, too.  The Strom surprised me with it's speed and cornering ability, but the 19" front wheel does change the feel in the twisties.   I thought about the new Strom before buying the 14, but the great asking price on the 14 help make up my mind.

I am faster in the curves on my Strom than I was on the C14, that 19" front tire does just fine.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 06:49:14 PM »
Just got done doing 5k miles over 2 weeks on my F800GS and topped the ride off with a race in Odessa called the Kenda Desert 100.  I also did Colorado last year on the F8 and have done a couple 1K days and many 700 mile days.  Only time I miss the C14 is when I am on the straight bit of slab, twisty stuff and everything else?  I reckon that is why I sold the C14, loved (still do even though she is being ridden by another guy) her beyond words, she just sat there as the F8GS does everything I want her to do.  An 1190 ADV-R is in my future as my touring bike, but the F8 will be my ADV bike until I ride her to death.

Offline tomp

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
  An 1190 ADV-R is in my future as my touring bike.

Sat on one last week and found that my feet didn't touch the ground.  Was ok on the std , but that R was one tall bike.  5'10" w 31" inseam.  They are superb motorcycles, for sure.  tp

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 07:17:51 PM »
Sat on one last week and found that my feet didn't touch the ground.  Was ok on the std , but that R was one tall bike.  5'10" w 31" inseam.  They are superb motorcycles, for sure.  tp
FWIW, I like it that way!!  I added the Touratech Extreme rear shock and I added more length, I am on my tippy toes at a stop.  Bash plate thanks me, although I did manage to wreck my crash bars on a big pebble in Wickenburg ;)  Cracked the stator cover and split the rear mounting point.  New bars are on order ;D
One of the nice things about the GS?  When I am doing 85 it feels like I am doing 85.  On the C14 85 felt like I was doing 35.  I managed to avoid a ticket for 58,000 miles, definitely good karma on my side.

Offline texrider

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
I'm realizing that off roading per se is probably more of a pipe dream with a 600 plus pound bike...
Since it's been raining less, I've had the connie out on a few rides with the flies newly pulled, and can now appreciate more fully what she's about  8)
If I can resolve the harsh suspension, we may just have a lot more adventures in the future ;)
2014 Valkyrie

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:37:54 PM »
My latest version, all LED lighting, full on suspension and all washed up for another round of dirt this weekend!!

Offline texrider

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
Looks to be ready for anything ;)

I stopped by a dealer today and saw a new Vstrom 1000 being uncrated. Nice bike, and it had the khaki color paint and tutone seat which was interesting.

Also did a bit more looking at the Explorer and Stelvio recently.

With new tires and revised suspension settings, the connie has been feeling pretty good though. Kind of hard to think of moving on when I'd have to go some distance from here for any decent off-roading.
That would make any adventure bike primarily a road bike for me.
2014 Valkyrie