Author Topic: ZG goes down!! Top Block saves my Connie!!  (Read 24150 times)

Offline Smokeyzx

Re: ZG goes down!! Top Block saves my Connie!!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »
Well that makes up my mind. I'm going with the Top Block front & rear sliders and MC Canyon Cage. It seems that combination will give decent protection.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 03:54:26 PM »

Model         Aesthetics    Level of protection    Cost     Availability    Removability
TopBlock     A                  C                               D          D                  C

Well, once again I totally disagree with you Max...  :)

Level of protection you give a C??  ???  Did you see the pics I posted and I have ZERO damage to anything on my Connie...

Cost you give a D??  ???  Had I not had the Top Blocks on I would have done about $3k in damage to the bodywork and exhaust etc, so I'd say they are cheap insurance...

Availability you give a D??  ???  How do you figure this?? Send an email to Tatiana at Top Block, send $ via Paypal, 2 weeks later they deliver to your door step...

Removability you give a C??  ???  Have you ever removed them, I think not... I'm told by my shop it's about a 10 minute job to get the lower fairing off if needed, you don't have to completely remove the entire kit, only that outer arm...

I give Top Block an A+ for all categories!!  ;D   :thumbs: :thumbs:

I think you're just jealous and totally wrong Max...

Offline Makz58

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »
Actually you could remove the lower fairing by removing two bolts from the Top Block one on each side....interference with servicing your bike very minimal.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
I'm told by my shop it's about a 10 minute job to get the lower fairing off if needed, you don't have to completely remove the entire kit, only that outer arm...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Does anybody else find this as amusing as me?

Sorry Jay, you left yourself wide open.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 04:40:01 PM »
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Does anybody else find this as amusing as me?

Sorry Jay, you left yourself wide open.

;D ;D ;D    :chugbeer:

Sorry I'm not a wrencher like you...  ;)   

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »

Well, once again I totally disagree with you Max...  :)

That's OK.   It happens sometimes.

Level of protection you give a C??  ???  Did you see the pics I posted and I have ZERO damage to anything on my Connie...

It is a comparison, not an absolute.  I am talking about in all possible situations, not just one.  The "C" doesn't mean it is bad, just not as good as an "A" or "B".

Cost you give a D??  ???  Had I not had the Top Blocks on I would have done about $3k in damage to the bodywork and exhaust etc, so I'd say they are cheap insurance...

Again, just a comparison.  It is three times the expected expense of the Canyons or the actual cost of the bathroom bars, for example.  I am not saying it isn't a good value for what it does.  And for some people (like me), the cost difference really isn't all that important; for others, it is.

Availability you give a D??  ???  How do you figure this?? Send an email to Tatiana at Top Block, send $ via Paypal, 2 weeks later they deliver to your door step...

Comparison- not absolute.  Compared to the others, you have to deal via Email not phone, with people out of the country, not local, with a company that provides instructions that are not in English, and offer probably no tech support, take a payment fee hit and risk, and then take at least twice as long to get delivery as the others.  If something goes wrong (wrong part, damaged/missing goods, bad fit, etc), it could get much, much worse.  In fact, the only way I can think of to make availability be much worse is if they were also on perpetual backorder or something.

Removability you give a C??  ???  Have you ever removed them, I think not... I'm told by my shop it's about a 10 minute job to get the lower fairing off if needed, you don't have to completely remove the entire kit, only that outer arm...

COMPARISON!!!  What if an alternative is a 5 minute job?  That is twice as good.  But both or neither might be just fine.  I think my mistake is that I should have just used a ranking instead of trying to weigh them against each other with a score.

I think you're just jealous and totally wrong Max...

Illogical- I have nothing to be jealous of, since I have no protection right now at all.  I am in the market, and comparing options.  I have not decided what I am going to do yet.  The Top Blocks are very compelling, and have been all along.  The reasons I don't already have them on my bike are exactly those I already explained.  I am extremely averse to cutting my fairing and that is probably the worse thing for me to swallow.  But what is right for me or you can and will be different sometimes ;)

The information you have provided has gone a LONG way to showing just how viable the Top Blocks really are and made this whole decision extremely difficult for me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
Well that makes up my mind. I'm going with the Top Block front & rear sliders and MC Canyon Cage. It seems that combination will give decent protection.

The Top Blocks can also give decent protection (as illustrated in this thread).  It all depends on how much protection and in what situations.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
While you were taking pictures of your bike laying on the pavement, I was out ridding mine upright.  ;D

Did your wife help you get it upright?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
While you were taking pictures of your bike laying on the pavement, I was out ridding mine upright.  ;D

Ooooh, that is low.....

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 05:07:04 PM »
Ooooh, that is low.....

Hehe, I'm just glad he and his bike are OK so I can poke some fun.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
Ooooh, that is low.....
   8)

Ahhhh yes, even I left that one alone.....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »

Actually to my great suprise it came up very easy with just me (in my sandals), shockingly I remembered seeing that thread about facing away from the Connie and putting my butt up to the seat and grabbing the passengar grab rail with left hand and handle bar with the right hand, then just back up using legs only! Worked perfect and was not straining at all!  :) :thumbs:

As for my wife getting me upright that came later in the night...  ;) ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 05:10:49 PM »
ZG- why did you remove the posting of the pictures after you cleaned up with the file?  They were good!

I went to comment on the posting, and it disappeared!  What I was going to say is I think nobody will ever really notice that little bit of rub.  I imagine it will be far less visible than what one would end up on chrome Canyons in the same situation...

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »

Actually to my great suprise it came up very easy with just me (in my sandals), shockingly I remembered seeing that thread about facing away from the Connie and putting my butt up to the seat and grabbing the passengar grab rail with left hand and handle bar with the right hand, then just back up using legs only! Worked perfect and was not straining at all!  :) :thumbs:

Yeah, that method works well. I've had to use it when a vehicle knocked over my cruiser.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 05:13:22 PM »
ZG- why did you remove the posting of the pictures after you cleaned up with the file?  They were good!

I went to comment on the posting, and it disappeared!  What I was going to say is I think nobody will ever really notice that little bit of rub.  I imagine it will be far less visible than what one would end up on chrome Canyons in the same situation...

Well I thought they were good when I looked at my BB but once I posted em they didn't really have the detail I'd hoped for, too much glare I think, I'm gonna take some better ones and post em up...

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »
Anybody else see that he was moving it to take more pics of it?

:o

Glad it went ok, and the gear protected it.

Flip-flops?

:rotflmao:

I'm sorry......what were you doing when this happened?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
I took one of mama's finger nail file and buffer things to the plastic section of the Top Block slider where it hit it ground, then buffed it out with some pollishing compound, unless you new it was there you can't even really see it!!  8)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
That looks good Jay. I knew you didnt own any sandpaper.  :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »

I'm sorry......what were you doing when this happened?

Check the open forum section Mike, look for a "senior prom" thread...  ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
That looks good Jay. I knew you didnt own any sandpaper.  :-\

Thanks bro.  :chugbeer:

Yet another advantage to the Top Block, if a metal protection bar went down it would surely leave dings in it that couldn't just be sanded and buffed out, and even if they could you would have to re powder coat or paint them...