Author Topic: ZG goes down!! Top Block saves my Connie!!  (Read 24147 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
ZG goes down!! Top Block saves my Connie!!
« on: April 21, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
Well, it happened...  :o     But yet it has a very happy ending!!   :)

I backed my Connie down to the end of the driveway for some other pics, I was wearing shorts and sandals, after I took some pics went to bring her back in the garage (in between mama & daughters cars in the driveway), bad angle, bars turned all the way to the left, slippery sandals, and yep she starts to go down and nothing I can do to save this gigantic behemoth...  :'(

Heart pounding out of my chest for a brief second until I saw that the Top Block protection had done it's job!! NO DAMAGE AT ALL!! ZERO!!   ;D 8)

Nothing other than the Top Block points hit the ground at all, not to my left side Muzzys, not to my left side bag, not even to my left side mirror, ME HAPPY!!  :thumbs: :hail:

I really think what saved it was a two part combo of both the Top Block slider kit...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=314.msg95590#msg95590

AND

the just installed last week Top Block swing arm sliders...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7642.msg98456#msg98456

Here's the pics for proof! Don't anybody ever try to tell me going forward that the Top Block protection isn't worth the $$, it totally is and did it's job just as I'd always hoped to never test...   ;)

Enjoy the pics... This was the hardest part for me, instead of immediately picking her up to stop and take pics...  :-\ :( :'(

Notice the mirror not touching the ground!!

Notice the rear bag off the ground!! 8)

Notice the rear swing arm slider keeping my Muzzys off the ground!!  8)

Very minimal scuffing to the Top Block points, they are a soft plastic so I should be able to buff them out with some fine grit sand paper and be good as new!  :chugbeer:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: ZG goes down!! Top Block saves my Connie!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
Glad everything is ok. I gotta ask... Was it all in slow motion? ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »
Glad everything is ok. I gotta ask... Was it all in slow motion? ;)

Indeed! Very slow but very heavy...  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »
Geez, glad you and the bike are ok!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »

Do you own sandpaper?

Offline geebo

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »
Wow! Thanks for sharing... I won't be surprised if there is a sudden surge in sales of those sliders. I had a close call last weekend in a similar situation, but managed to save it. I think this is a sign that I should just pull the trigger on those sliders.

Glad you and the bike are alright.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
ZG, glad all is well.  I'm shocked at how well the top blocks did.  Well worth the $$$$.

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »
Gee I hate to see a motorcycle laying down, but not so bad when no damage is done.  They are a bit heavy.

Offline dirt_biker

• The only way to ride and I Love it! (C14)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »
Great investment 8)
2009 Concours 14, Full AreaP, PCV, Autotune, and BMC air filter, Flies out, Corbin Seat & Trunk, 2" Risers, Garmin 450 GPS, DKW Sound, Rosta CC, PR2's, CB ultra touring   Shield. These are the other rides I have now.  76 KZ900, 98 KX500, 06 CR450R, 75 CR250M, 04 Vforce 700, 09 KFX450r

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
Jay- that is GREAT news.  Thanks for all the neat pics!   Did you help it down some?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
Jay- that is GREAT news.  Thanks for all the neat pics!   Did you help it down some?

Not much Max, she landed pretty hard thanks to a half dozen beers, me not thinking or even paying attention, and wearing my summer sandles since we finally broke 70 degrees in the PNW today...  :-\

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
ZG, did you ever notice this. Jesus is about the only person to pull off wearing sandals with any success.

I'm seriously thinking of sellign my gsg's and gettign the Top Blocks.  In lookign at the GSG's , I cannot see how they would work this well in the same situation.  If they dont work, whats the point, right?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
Geez, glad you and the bike are ok!

Wow! Thanks for sharing... I won't be surprised if there is a sudden surge in sales of those sliders. I had a close call last weekend in a similar situation, but managed to save it. I think this is a sign that I should just pull the trigger on those sliders.

Glad you and the bike are alright.

ZG, glad all is well.  I'm shocked at how well the top blocks did.  Well worth the $$$$.

Gee I hate to see a motorcycle laying down, but not so bad when no damage is done.  They are a bit heavy.

Great investment 8)

:grouphug:

Thanks brutha's!! I'm good to go and actually for the first time in my lifetime of bikes going down (many bikes & many times) not even upset in the slightest! I'd even go so far as to say happy, I just have this awesome piece of mind that nothing on my Connie got damaged, it's very rewarding in a very weird way...  ???   :)    :chugbeer: 

Do you own sandpaper?

I think Mama has some in her craft box!  ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »
So much fail.......and I am glad that I have a son!!!! ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 03:39:40 AM »
So the plot thickens! I read this thread before the senior prom thread. I would say you were definitely wearing the appropriate T-shirt ;D

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 06:52:12 AM »
Now you can tell anyone who ever questioned the logic in spending so much for the extra parts every penny was justified.  Glad you had a happy ending.

Offline daringdave

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
What a great testimony to the Top Block system. I'm sitting here waiting for at least another month or more for Ryan's Canyon Cage bars... with no absolute guarantee they'll work as well as the TB... Meanwhile, riding around clamping my cheeks  every time I have to go thru gravel on roads up on the Mountain getting to Santa Cruz.
2010 Neptune Blue

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »
Anybody else see that he was moving it to take more pics of it?

:o

Glad it went ok, and the gear protected it.

Flip-flops?

:rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
What a great testimony to the Top Block system. I'm sitting here waiting for at least another month or more for Ryan's Canyon Cage bars...

The Top Blocks are a great design and fantastic looking.  But this is a testimony only to a slightly-helped, zero speed tip-over.  As I have said several times in the past, in a push-over or while moving at any speed, it is highly likely the bike will roll/rock over the Top Block and smash the mirrors, bags, and upper fairing.

I said all this BEFORE it was also essentially said by Ryan, and you can see what I mean here:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7593.msg98038#msg98038

Yes, it is WONDERFUL and IMPRESSIVE to see the Top Block in action!  And they offer a lot of protection for something so minimal and stylish.  I dare say, you probably can't buy, get, or design something better for the profile/protection ratio.  But they do not offer the protection afforded by something like the Canyon Carvers.  Nor are they as inexpensive or as easy to remove for service and they require cutting the fairing.  And the Canyons won't offer the level of protection of the hideous bathroom bars.

with no absolute guarantee they'll work as well as the TB...

The Canyons *will* work at LEAST as good but likely far better at protecting than the Top Blocks.   Given the level of competency shown by McEnterprises, you will likely find nobody who will disagree with my statement.  About the only real question is level of protection if used WITHOUT the small rears.  As far as to the aesthetics of them, that is going to be the key deciding factor for most people:  If money is no object, then what level of protection can you tolerate vs. how they look?

Model         Aesthetics    Level of protection    Cost     Availability    Removability
GSG            B                  D                               B          B                   A (N/A)
TopBlock     A                  C                               D          D                  C
BathBars    D                  A                               A           A                  B
Canyon      C                  B                               A           A                  B
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Makz58

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
I don't think there is a product made that will safely protect a bike in any kind of speed drop...these kind of protectors the Canyon carvers the laundry type protectors or the top blocks now protecting in a tip over with little or no speed that is another situation and I believe all three would do the job really well. I for one bought mine for the stopped or very low speed tip over protection,
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010