Author Topic: canyon cage requires removal of fairing or no?  (Read 9160 times)

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
canyon cage requires removal of fairing or no?
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »
I have canyon cages on the way and I'm not sure if I have to remove the fairing in order to put it on and I can't find any installation instructions on the website
I just got a&r motorsports hid kit and wondering if I should install the lights now or wait til the canyon cages show so I don't have to remove the fairing twice.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: canyon cage requires removal of fairing or no?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »
I have canyon cages on the way and I'm not sure if I have to remove the fairing in order to put it on and I can't find any installation instructions on the website
I just got a&r motorsports hid kit and wondering if I should install the lights now or wait til the canyon cages show so I don't have to remove the fairing twice.
Wait for the Cages.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
I saw somewhere that they email instructions to the customers. Did You check Your spam box?
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline BMahar

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »
  I have a 2011 1400 and I did not have to remove the fairing to install the Canyon Cages. However if you want to remove the fairing after you install the CC's you will have to remove which ever side you're working on.
 Unless, you cut the fairing. Some here have done this and they don't have to remove the CC's to remove the fairing.
 Look this up and you'll get the info necessary to do the cutting if you want to go this direction.
 Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:03:30 AM »
  I have a 2011 1400 and I did not have to remove the fairing to install the Canyon Cages. However if you want to remove the fairing after you install the CC's you will have to remove which ever side you're working on.
 Unless, you cut the fairing. Some here have done this and they don't have to remove the CC's to remove the fairing.
 Look this up and you'll get the info necessary to do the cutting if you want to go this direction.
 Brent

+1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
For the 2010-2012 bikes...

You'll have to weed through the chaff but I think there may be useful information in here somewhere....

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8605.msg104300#msg104300
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »
 Brent

+2 Don't have to remove the fairings. In fact the fairing have to be on to put the CC's on.

Offline gpete

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
Try Here
2012 Arabian Red

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:28:23 AM »
Hey guys! I can certainly email a copy of the mounting instructions to anyone who wants them. It's not something we do for every customer because a set of mounting instructions comes with the parts but if you'd like them emailed, just ask! However, I've attached the mounting instructions for the 2008-2009 Connie Canyon Cage as well as the 2010-2013 Connie Canyon Cage to this post for you.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
Thanks, Ryan!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gpete

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »
Ryan,
Could I suggest that instruction step
19. WE RECOMMEND THE USE OF A THREAD SEALANT SUCH AS VIBRA-TITE ON ALL FASTENERS.
should be moved to step 1?

I know, the instruction said to read everything and I guess I should have. And I should have probably just done this anyway, but I really wasn't sure how to react after spending 30-45 minutes tightening each of those support bracket bolts and then reading that.

They are installed now and will stay that way until I decide to spend another afternoon undoing and redoing. (It will happen since I need to run some wires to a fusebox and will likley just remove and cut the fairing.)
2012 Arabian Red

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
I cut the Fairing on my installation of the Canyon Bars on my 2008 1400, it makes it really easy to install them after you have put the bars in place. ( I removed both sides of the side and front fairings to put them on)  A few screws but no big deal.

I can now take the fairing off and on now, without removing the bars or any part of them. One small cut and its done, and unless I am wrong it doesn't effect the strength of the fairing in the least.

Here is a picture of the cut and how it fits together and just the angle you need to reinstall them.

Easy.

Old Jack
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2002 Honda VTX 1800

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »
Ryan,
Could I suggest that instruction step should be moved to step 1?

I know, the instruction said to read everything and I guess I should have. And I should have probably just done this anyway, but I really wasn't sure how to react after spending 30-45 minutes tightening each of those support bracket bolts and then reading that.

They are installed now and will stay that way until I decide to spend another afternoon undoing and redoing. (It will happen since I need to run some wires to a fusebox and will likley just remove and cut the fairing.)

I agree with you that the note to use a thread sealant should probably be towards the top somewhere. For that, I apologize. However, at the top it does say to read the instructions fully before you begin the install which I recommend everyone do if at all possible. Anyway, I'll see if I can update both sets of instructions so the thread sealant note is at the very top. Thanks for the heads up!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »
+2 Don't have to remove the fairings. In fact the fairing have to be on to put the CC's on.

Not if you make the cut shown in the post above.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »
I agree with you that the note to use a thread sealant should probably be towards the top somewhere. For that, I apologize. However, at the top it does say to read the instructions fully before you begin the install which I recommend everyone do if at all possible. Anyway, I'll see if I can update both sets of instructions so the thread sealant note is at the very top. Thanks for the heads up!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ha! That's like asking folks to RTFM.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
Ha! That's like asking folks to RTFM.

Only nicely! I don't mean to bag on the guy or anything. After all, he is correct. The thread sealant note should probably be somewhere towards the top so even if people scan the instructions they still catch it. You don't know how many phone calls we get from people who chuck the instructions at the beginning of an install then end up on the phone asking for us to email another copy or talking to our tech for 30 minutes, though. Hahahaha!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
I cut the Fairing on my installation of the Canyon Bars on my 2008 1400, it makes it really easy to install them after you have put the bars in place. ( I removed both sides of the side and front fairings to put them on)  A few screws but no big deal.

(Covered on the other threads already, including pix posted)

Don't expect it to be that easy on a 2nd Gen C-14, though.  With those cuts, it is still quite difficult to get the fairings on and off without removing the canyons.  But it does become possible, and that means it is still far easier than removing the canyons.  It is nice to have the option.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline shredran

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 12:21:22 AM »
 Does anyone know if I can make these cuts on my 2009 concours without removing the cages? In other words, I don’t believe the first owner put the cuts in the fairing, and the fairing is currently on the bike with the cages installed. I’m guessing I would need to be super careful, but that I could still do the cut so that the fairings could come off without removal of the cages.  Most people as I understand made the cuts while installing the cages for the first time. But since I missed out on that I’m just trying to figure out a way to do it without needing to remove the cages just for simple cut

Offline Gscott

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 02:43:25 AM »
With an extra set of hands and a Dremel tool probably.
Does anyone know if I can make these cuts on my 2009 concours without removing the cages? In other words, I don’t believe the first owner put the cuts in the fairing, and the fairing is currently on the bike with the cages installed. I’m guessing I would need to be super careful, but that I could still do the cut so that the fairings could come off without removal of the cages.  Most people as I understand made the cuts while installing the cages for the first time. But since I missed out on that I’m just trying to figure out a way to do it without needing to remove the cages just for simple cut