Author Topic: Replacing front turn signal bulb  (Read 31785 times)

Offline Dan Forker

Replacing front turn signal bulb
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »

I took the advice of another forum member and obtained LED bulbs for the front and back turn signals. Back bulbs were easy and these bulbs really light up the back. The front is another matter. How do you get access to the front bulbs to replace them?  Surely, you don't have to remove the side fairings to change turn signal bulbs that that is the way it appears.

Fork

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Replacing front turn signal bulb
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:43:01 PM »
Yeah, sorry to bear bad news but that is it Dan. You may be able to reach in far enough if you remove the mid- fairing but really, what would the point of that even be? You <might> be able to remove the inside fairing between the radiator and the front fairing proper (two screws) and reach back to where the side light is but I do not think so.

The fairings do go on and off pretty easily though.

Brian

I took the advice of another forum member and obtained LED bulbs for the front and back turn signals. Back bulbs were easy and these bulbs really light up the back. The front is another matter. How do you get access to the front bulbs to replace them?  Surely, you don't have to remove the side fairings to change turn signal bulbs that that is the way it appears.

Fork
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
What he said..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
As has been mentioned in other threads, some people (including myself) are extremely interested in replacement LED bulbs for the turn signals but have been very disappointed with the light output and/or direction/coverage of what has been on the market.  If you believe you have something that is at least as bright and as good a coverage as stock, PLEASE share as much info on the Forum as you can....

Source
Model
Photos before after (although this doesn't show much)
Even better- photo of ONE SIDE with LED at the same time with ONE SIDE of incandescent (use hazard)

Thanks!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
Out of the Service manual:
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »
As has been mentioned in other threads, some people (including myself) are extremely interested in replacement LED bulbs for the turn signals but have been very disappointed with the light output and/or direction/coverage of what has been on the market.  If you believe you have something that is at least as bright and as good a coverage as stock, PLEASE share as much info on the Forum as you can....

Source
Model
Photos before after (although this doesn't show much)
Even better- photo of ONE SIDE with LED at the same time with ONE SIDE of incandescent (use hazard)

Thanks!

+1
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 04:30:25 AM »

The bulbs were located on ebay after much searching and the help of other posters here since the bulbs are not a plain 1156 bulb but have a 150 degree pin set rather than straight across pin set. The link is 2 X 7507 1156PY BAU15S Amber 50W Projection Front Turn Signal LED Light BMW Mini.  They provide light that is noticeably brighter than stock but they do cause the quick blinking rather than normal blink sequence and I will need to replace the stock blinker module, just haven't decided yet that the higher rate blink isn't more noticable than standard. No pictures yet. I can't get a photo that really shows the difference but it is noticeable in real like.

With regard to the post by Rocknrod, what is the service manual referring to as the "middle fairing".

Fork

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 05:32:53 AM »
Probably http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-7507-1156PY-BAU15S-Amber-50W-Projection-Front-Turn-Signal-LED-Light-BMW-Mini-/361001764187?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540d61c55b&vxp=mtr based on your description.

Of course, it is impossible for it to be "50W".  It is a lie, which is why I am so bothers by such listings.  And in their video, they APPEAR to be less bright than incandescent.  Do you really think they are brighter?  One thing is for sure, they carefully list the strange pin offset.

I would really love to see a video clip of your bike showing both lights in hazard mode with LED installed on only one side.

To answer your question- the middle fairing is the one with the fins.  The upper has the logo.  The lower is the black matte.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:49 AM »
Yes, please share the video.  I am interested in doing this as well.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 07:01:38 AM »
Obviously the reference to 50W is the merchants opinion of a subjective comparison to the standard bulb, but they are noticeably brighter to my eye. I'll see about a video but it will be a week or two before I can get back home to the bike. The problem with photographing the difference is that the real test(especially with LED's)  is not brightness in the dark but in bright sunlight and that is really tough to show on a photograph. Typically LED's may appear dramatically brighter in the dark or with a dark background but when the sun is shining on the application they do not appear nearly as bright. I'll see what I can do.

Fork

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
Obviously the reference to 50W is the merchants opinion of a subjective comparison to the standard bulb,

Exactly.  But on many sites it is presented as fact.  And on others they make up bogus lumen ratings.  Even as a subjective comparison I have seen silly lighting claims and the observed the bulbs as being dimmer or barely even as bright as the incandescents they were meant to replace... so I am extremely skeptical about ALL such claims now.

but they are noticeably brighter to my eye. I'll see about a video but it will be a week or two before I can get back home to the bike. The problem with photographing the difference is that the real test(especially with LED's)  is not brightness in the dark but in bright sunlight and that is really tough to show on a photograph. Typically LED's may appear dramatically brighter in the dark or with a dark background but when the sun is shining on the application they do not appear nearly as bright.

Right you are.  It really is a difficult task.  The first main problem is that it is imperative to see both bulbs (old/new) on at the same time and with similar front and back lighting.  Doing it in the daytime is best.  And video instead of photo is also best (getting a photo with both on, and at full brightness is a challenge when they are blinking!)  And angle is important also with LED, since light distribution is often dismal.

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks, I am waiting with fingers crossed :)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Exactly.  But on many sites it is presented as fact.  And on others they make up bogus lumen ratings.  Even as a subjective comparison I have seen silly lighting claims and the observed the bulbs as being dimmer or barely even as bright as the incandescents they were meant to replace... so I am extremely skeptical about ALL such claims now.

Have you ever been to the flea market (old days) and seen the boom boxes that run of batteries but the stickers say 500 watts? Same idea.   ::)
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »
Hopefully someone who "gets" this stuff better than I do can chime in....

Different websites I've seen selling these say that if the LED bulb is doing the 'fast-blinky' thing (hopefully not too technical a term...), it can be resolved by adding a "load resistor" to the circuit.

Is this is in series or parallel with the bulb...?   (and for bonus points - Why?)

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
The turn signal unit or flasher is load dependent, it needs a certain amount of current to function. Many bikes are designed to flash at a faster rate if a bulb is burned out. Since LEDs draw much less current, your flasher unit may act as if a bulb is out and flash at the faster rate.  If you replace either the front or the rear turn signals with LEDs, you will typically need to add a load equalizer. If you replace both front and rear with LEDS, you will typically need 2 load equalizers.  Many bikes have a 2 or 3 wire flasher that can be replaced with our non-load dependent flashers, these flashers are not self canceling but replaces the need for a load equalizer.
From: http://www.customdynamics.com/led_motorcycle_lighting_faqs.htm
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
Hopefully someone who "gets" this stuff better than I do can chime in....

Different websites I've seen selling these say that if the LED bulb is doing the 'fast-blinky' thing (hopefully not too technical a term...), it can be resolved by adding a "load resistor" to the circuit.

Is this is in series or parallel with the bulb...?   (and for bonus points - Why?)

Jamie

Don't bother with the load resistors... they can heat up and are just a pain (you have to splice it into the wiring). I got a LED flasher relay at the local Cycle Gear and it worked like a charm... stock location under the seat. http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-Flash-LED-Relay... I think it even said definitely says "Kawasaki" on the packaging side of the relay... and I'm sure there are other manufacturers and ways to get one. I just zip tied it to the frame where the stock one was.

Or this one from Motorcycle Superstore...http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/67453/i/dmp-led-flasher-relay?WT.ac=SLIsearch
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:19:11 AM by RBX QB »
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
this one works ok too: http://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay
i've used it for many years on my previous bikes.
plug-and-play, just need to find somewhere to zip tie the relay to the frame. if one of the bulbs or led burns out, you won't get any warning though. it will still blink at the same rate.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »

So, an interesting solution to the fast blink rate and lack of self cancelling signals. How many pins does the OEM signal relay contain?  If it's a two pin relay then there is a LED turn signal relay that sounds off much like a reverse signal on some trucks. Makes so much noise that the reviews are talking about ways to silence it. That would work for me, maybe I would get conditioned to cancel the signals. But it is only available in a two pin configuration. I haven't pulled my relay yet, so can anyone tell me on a 2012 ABS C-14, what is the pin out for the relay?

Fork

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
Don't bother with the load resistors... they can heat up and are just a pain (you have to splice it into the wiring). I got a LED flasher relay at the local Cycle Gear and it worked like a charm... stock location under the seat. http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-Flash-LED-Relay... I think it even said definitely says "Kawasaki" on the packaging side of the relay... and I'm sure there are other manufacturers and ways to get one. I just zip tied it to the frame where the stock one was.

Or this one from Motorcycle Superstore...http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/67453/i/dmp-led-flasher-relay?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Unfortuantely, this thread went idle.  I was hoping to see comparisons of some LED replacement bulbs....

Anyway, I am now interested in this flasher you posted/mentioned:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/67453/i/dmp-led-flasher-relay?WT.ac=SLIsearch

It is the cheapest by far, and from a site I already do business with.  Are you saying I can replace a single relay with no splicing and bam- it controls all turn signals AND emergency flashers?  (My load resistor failed and I am having some issues again and this might be the easiest solution).

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
Unfortuantely, this thread went idle.  I was hoping to see comparisons of some LED replacement bulbs....

Anyway, I am now interested in this flasher you posted/mentioned:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/67453/i/dmp-led-flasher-relay?WT.ac=SLIsearch

It is the cheapest by far, and from a site I already do business with.  Are you saying I can replace a single relay with no splicing and bam- it controls all turn signals AND emergency flashers?  (My load resistor failed and I am having some issues again and this might be the easiest solution).

I have a blank day tomorrow, so I'll pull the panel off my bike and get some images of the one I found, and see if I can find a model number or something... And the pin situation, as I recall the relay only uses 2 of the 3 factory wires (maybe that's why others have reported the loss of a burnt lamp indication, which shouldn't much matter with LED bulbs). But, I'm certain that I got it at Cycle Gear back in 2011, and it has a sticker on it that says Kawasaki.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 08:23:39 PM »
Here are pics of mine... Definitely the 2-wire piece. No other marking on the case of it, other than the big yellow sticker.

Here's a link to it on the Cycle Gear site... http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-Signal-Relay

They show on option for Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha.

Factory unit has 3 wires, but I've had this thing on my bike for 3 years without issue... and I do check occasionally to make sure all my lights work.
2011 Concours 14 ABS