Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 128126 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »
Chet,

Way back in this thread Boomer mentioned looking into the decoking cost for the TDI. I had no idea what that was, I think that I do now though.

Check this out.

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#j

Avoiding the Need for Intake Manifold Cleaning - Recalibrating the EGR System - this vehicle is equipped with a CCV (crankcase vent) system and an EGR (exhaust gas recirculating) system. Oily fumes from the CCV system can combine with carbon particles from the EGR system to form a black sticky tar in the intake system. This eventually starts restricting the amount of airflow into the engine, resulting in gradual power loss as the vehicle ages and the intake clogging becomes worse. In rare cases a MIL ("check engine" light) may be tripped, with an intake manifold pressure control code set, but normally this does not happen and no codes are set. Operating conditions, fuel quality, oil quality, driving habits, and general condition of the engine all have some effect on how long the intake system survives before clogging up. It can be prevented and this recalibration is highly recommended for all TDI owners.
A VW specific scan tool such as VAG-COM is required for this procedure. With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software. Select engine control module. "Login" using 12233 as the access code. Select "adaptation" and go to adaptation block 3. Give the accelerator pedal a quick "blip" to ensure that the EGR remains turned on for the next minute while you perform the following steps. Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows approximately 250 +/- 20 mg/stroke of air intake volume. (If it does not show this, you are either on the wrong screen, or you have an older ECU that differs slightly - see next paragraph.) If all is well, enter 33768 as the new adaptation value, and select "test". Note that the displayed air intake volume changes, usually to about 370 mg/stroke. The specification limit is 370 mg/stroke, so if you want to remain within OEM shop manual specifications for emission control reasons, you might have to enter a number slightly smaller than 33768. (If you don't care about road-legal NOx emission limits then leave it at 33768. [Depending on the usage cycle, NOx at this setting can be increased by as much as 40%]) If all is well and you have a setting that you are happy with which results in an intake air volume of 370 mg/stroke or just a hair less, enter "save". Now your intake manifold either will never clog, or will take so long that the engine will wear out first.

Note for '96 Passat and possibly other older ECU variations: The adaptation numbers are in a different range, and you won't be able to get feedback on what you are doing on the same screen. The EGR adaptation number for a '96 Passat with the original "BK" ECU is 188 rather than 33768 and you'll have to go back to "measuring blocks" group 3 to see the effect before "saving" the new setting.
As for warranty, no one has mentioned any problems nor should there be. This adjustment is also completely reversible should one be concerned.
Most provinces and states that do emissions testing on diesels, just check opacity, so this will not be a factor when testing.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
Thanks Jeremy! How did you come up with that? I'm all over it, as soon as I sign the papers I'm going to order that heater.

I found it by doing a search for "TDI engine heater" through google.  Then I got on a TDI forum where several members had used them with satisfactory results.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »
Thanks Jeremy! How did you come up with that? I'm all over it, as soon as I sign the papers I'm going to order that heater.

You do realize that you can't farkle two toys well.  One will suffer and we don't want that to be the bike do we?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2011, 06:12:52 AM »
I found it by doing a search for "TDI engine heater" through google.  Then I got on a TDI forum where several members had used them with satisfactory results.

Ah, you Googled it. I thought that maybe you had some experience with that heater. Thanks.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
You do realize that you can't farkle two toys well.  One will suffer and we don't want that to be the bike do we?

You're right Jim, I won't let Connie suffer! My wallet will suffer too much if I try farkling both anyways. 

All I need is that heater for the Jetta anyways, right?

"And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need."

Son of Pappy

« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
I just got back from a 800 mile, 2 mountain pass trip.  Averaged almost 45 mpg.  The temps on the East side of the state was fairly cold, night temps in the teens, it was 22 when I cranked her up this morning.  Fired right up and I gotta say, heated seats are so mich nicer then I ever would have omagined, convinced me I need to heat the Corbin, nothing beats a nice hot, er, well, you get the picture.  I have only 2 farkles I have added to the TDI, small (motorcycle of course) fish eyes, and some heated coffee cups.  No one likes sipping on cold fufu coffee.  Anyway, them passes?  This thing just breezed through the hills, but, it did drop to around 22mpg on the steeper parts, more then made up for it on the downhill sides, slip into neutral and you get a 200 mpg reading.  This is one smart tranny, if I left it in D with the cruise set it will downshift to keep within 5 mph of the set speed.
Biggest drawback to a new car that is black?  It's really dirty, a bounus is I can use a drive through car wash, something I just gaven't mustered the courage to do on the 14.
I wonder how a set of Angels will handle, would that be going to the bright side? ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2011, 04:59:59 AM »
I just got back from a 800 mile, 2 mountain pass trip.  Averaged almost 45 mpg.  The temps on the East side of the state was fairly cold, night temps in the teens, it was 22 when I cranked her up this morning.  Fired right up and I gotta say, heated seats are so mich nicer then I ever would have omagined, convinced me I need to heat the Corbin, nothing beats a nice hot, er, well, you get the picture.  I have only 2 farkles I have added to the TDI, small (motorcycle of course) fish eyes, and some heated coffee cups.  No one likes sipping on cold fufu coffee.  Anyway, them passes?  This thing just breezed through the hills, but, it did drop to around 22mpg on the steeper parts, more then made up for it on the downhill sides, slip into neutral and you get a 200 mpg reading.  This is one smart tranny, if I left it in D with the cruise set it will downshift to keep within 5 mph of the set speed.
Biggest drawback to a new car that is black?  It's really dirty, a bounus is I can use a drive through car wash, something I just gaven't mustered the courage to do on the 14.
I wonder how a set of Angels will handle, would that be going to the bright side? ;D

Nice! The Allison trans in my Silverado is smart too, it'll down shift on it's own and give you some engine braking when you need it. You can make it downshift too by tapping on the brakes.

I have heated seats on my Pontiac so I know that a nice warm bum will keep the shivers away while you wait for the heat from the car. I really wanted ventilated seats on my next new car but since the Jetta don't got, I'll have to wait till the next one.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2011, 05:01:47 AM »
What break in procedure are you following?

Here's one from the TDI site that's tailored for the DSG

Rules that apply for the life of the car

-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.

-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.

-Keep rpms as close to 2000 rpm as possible when driving at a steady speed. This promotes optimum temperatures for the DPF and keeps the engine in the middle of its most efficient rpm range (1800-2200 rpm).

-Allow the DSG or automatic transmission to determine the optimal gear and engine rpm. It knows better than you... Provided you have it trained to be biased to the sport mode the engines shift points will occur at the ideal ranges.

Redline is defined as the maximum rpm allowed by the engine, in the case of all TDI's it is 5,100 rpm. The maximum physical limit of a TDI engine due in part to it's short stroke is approximately 8,800 rpm (this is when you will throw a rod or damage a piston, this rpm is not possible unless you force a downshift into 1st gear while driving 80mph)

The instrument cluster shows a red BAND starting at or around 4600 rpm, most owners will find that very little power resides beyond this point due mostly to the ECU reducing fueling to respect the smoke map.

Adaptive Transmissions, these transmissions learn based on how you apply the power with your foot. Over time they will modify shift patterns with a bias to a "Sport" mode. Train the transmission to shift as close to the recommended rpm ranges below.

When your engine was first produced the motor was placed in a test cell and "Run-in" by a computer run dyno. The motor after the run-in was DRAINED OF ALL ITS FLUIDS (Oil, Coolant etc), the filters were replaced and a unique break-in oil was installed to promote a proper break-in once installed in the car as well as to protect the engine from corrosion during shipping to final assembly.

The "Break-in oil", YES VW does use a specially formulated "Break-In" oil formulated under an internal "TL" specification and produced by Fuchs. The oil is a group IV synthetic 5w30 formulated to comply with the LowSAPS VW507.00 requirements as well as the TL specifications for break-in. The oil is intended to allow a controlled rate of wear while protecting the engine and allowing the internal parts to seat proplerly during the engines first 10,000 road miles.

First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 3,800. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm (75%) application of power is strongly recommended up to a maximum engine rpm of 3,800. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.
DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL UNTIL 10,000 MILES!

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 5,100 rpm power range. THIS DOES NOT MEAN DRIVE AROUND AT 5100 RPM! This DOES mean to find the rpm range where your cars best power resides. Most owners will find that the best engine operating range to be between 2000rpm and 4200 rpm for the purpose of acceleration. At all costs avoid using full throttle below 2000 rpm the ECU will attempt to prevent you from applying full power in this range, work with it and don't request it with your foot.
Continue to avoid steady rpms and avoid the use of cruise control. occasional application of full throttle (100%) is recommended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in a TDI due to frequent stops and acceleration. DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL UNTIL 10,000 MILES!

5,000-10,000 miles
Use of the cruise control is ok at this point since most of the initial break in has occured. Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings. You will notice the engine become slightly louder during this phase due to less friction from the engine breaking in (normal for a diesel to become louder under lighter loads). If your going on a long drive and you are using the cruise, every so often step on the peddle to accelerate up about 20 mph then coast back down to your preset speed.

Your first oil change is due at 10,000 miles DO NOT change it early! Oil analysis supports 10,000 miles as being realistic for a first change interval. Wear metals will remain at safe levels during this entire first interval thanks to the initial run-in and flush at the factory before the engine was installed in your car.

10,000-60,000
This is when the rest of the break in occurs. The engine from the factory will check out with about 475psi of compression pressure out of the crate. It will take at least 60,000 miles to reach the peak pressure of 510 psi. For the most part once you get to 10,000 miles your compression will be around 490 psi meaning that most of the break in has occurred.

60,000-the life of the motor
The owners have followed the advice above and do not have any oil consumption issues. This also means that with the higher pressure the engine is more efficient returning optimal fuel economy and reduced smoke output. I am still of the opinion that if possible use a LowSAPS 5w40 instead of the 5w30 oils ie Mobil 1 ESP 5w40 formula M (MB229.51, .6 Sulfated Ash)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2011, 05:15:27 AM »
I'll never own one of these.  The break in is too complicated.  You need someone with a clipboard to make sure you are doing everything right. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »
Here's what the manual says, so easy even a Knight can do it! 
Breaking in the engine.  (Shortened to make it easy for one of my audience) Drive carefully first 1000 miles.  For the first 600 miles no full throttle, do not allow engine to exceed 2/3 of maximum, do not tow a trailer ( dont worry Jim, trunk is big enough to hold a spare suit of armor).  From 600 to 1000 miles speed may gradually be increased to maximum permissable road and engine speed.
Big flower next to a note,  Breaking in an engine gently will increase service life and reduce oil consumption.
I'm at 1500 miles already, I will say I noticed an improvement on my return trip mpg wise.  I did read up on the trailer, I think I may have the car fit with a hitch and find or buil a MC specific trailer so I can haul either the KLR or YZ, I'm getting ready to be certified as a dirt bike instructor so I don't want to leave either bike at the property, I may make the trailer big enough for 2 bikes.  Jim, would that count as a farkle?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
Yes. 

I must say that I thought of ya'll less than an hour ago when I parked next to an older Mercedes diesel at the post office.  It sounded like the engine was going to explode and the exhaust was extremely non scenty.  Granted the new ones don't do that but I just shook my head and drove my 235k Prius off the lot getting 50mpg and using the less expensive regular gas.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
Yes. 

I must say that I thought of ya'll less than an hour ago when I parked next to an older Mercedes diesel at the post office.  It sounded like the engine was going to explode and the exhaust was extremely non scenty.  Granted the new ones don't do that but I just shook my head and drove my 235k Prius off the lot getting 50mpg and using the less expensive regular gas.

>:(    :o     ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2011, 11:42:22 AM »
Yes. 

Yep, but we'll have that new car smell, non of that musty castle smell ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »
Ya got me there...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »
Chet, no reply on post #100?

After reading a bunch of posts at some of the TDI sites (http://forums.tdiclub.com/ , http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/) I'm having second thoughts on buying the 3rd party extended warranty they're offering. Have you had a chance to read the fine print on that thing? If it was a VW offering I'd be all over it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
Chet, no reply on post #100?

After reading a bunch of posts at some of the TDI sites (http://forums.tdiclub.com/ , http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/) I'm having second thoughts on buying the 3rd party extended warranty they're offering. Have you had a chance to read the fine print on that thing? If it was a VW offering I'd be all over it.
So far I'm not to worried, the two times I had the extended warranties they easily paid for themselves, I really wont be doing much to the car other than drive and fuel.  Although it is a third party warranty it is something being pushed by VW and I figure they are trying to be #1 in sales for the midsize sedan market so I should be OK.  I will be looking at the VAG COM in the future, it sounds like a nifty piece of equipment, I may even have a guy who has done some work for me before who has one, he's really into the tuner scene so I'd bet he does.
This is the first vehicle that I really enjoy driving, not as much as riding, but since I'm still being restricted on riding, it is nice.  Have you set any date for the test drive yet?

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2011, 11:30:42 PM »
You know that the adition of a cheap computer chip adds about 30% more power and Torque ,takes about two minutes to fitt /removeand is only about $300 . My friend has just done it to his BRAND new Skoda just like he di to his last one .So the engine goes from 103Kw to about 133 Kw .  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2011, 04:42:28 AM »
So far I'm not to worried, the two times I had the extended warranties they easily paid for themselves, I really wont be doing much to the car other than drive and fuel.  Although it is a third party warranty it is something being pushed by VW and I figure they are trying to be #1 in sales for the midsize sedan market so I should be OK.  I will be looking at the VAG COM in the future, it sounds like a nifty piece of equipment, I may even have a guy who has done some work for me before who has one, he's really into the tuner scene so I'd bet he does.
This is the first vehicle that I really enjoy driving, not as much as riding, but since I'm still being restricted on riding, it is nice.  Have you set any date for the test drive yet?

I'm not 100% sure if I'll get the ext warranty or not. My understanding is that you don't have to purchase it right away anyway. Like the Kawasaki GTPP, you can buy it later as long as the original warranty is in effect.

Yep, gonna test drive a JSW TDI Friday afternoon. The car with my name on it, I put down a $500 deposit, is on it's was from Houston to Chicago at this moment. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2011, 04:43:46 AM »
You know that the adition of a cheap computer chip adds about 30% more power and Torque ,takes about two minutes to fitt /removeand is only about $300 . My friend has just done it to his BRAND new Skoda just like he di to his last one .So the engine goes from 103Kw to about 133 Kw .  :)

I've been reading about the tuner chips at the TDI site. Not a bad return for $300.