Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 853520 times)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3360 on: July 07, 2019, 05:23:55 PM »
Last week, took all of the plastic off, coolant flush, oil change and air filter check.  Today, fresh tires.  Getting ready for California to Alaska trip starting next week...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3361 on: July 09, 2019, 08:35:59 AM »
Last week, took all of the plastic off, coolant flush, oil change and air filter check.  Today, fresh tires.  Getting ready for California to Alaska trip starting next week...

I hope you'll come back with a trip report. I'm planning one to Alaska next year and could use the info. Even if not a full report, perhaps just your routing and any border crossing
stories would be interesting, and photos of course.  :D
Have fun, be safe.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #3362 on: July 10, 2019, 07:21:40 AM »
I hope you'll come back with a trip report. I'm planning one to Alaska next year and could use the info. Even if not a full report, perhaps just your routing and any border crossing
Have fun, be safe.
Thanks, FM.  I’ll be taking my new Laam seat on a long trip for the first time as well.  First indications are that it should serve me well.

The guys I’m riding with did this trip about 8 years ago.  One ended up crashing into a cub that ran across the highway directly in front of him.  Cub died, rider suffered some road rash and bruises.  Hopefully, there’ll be non of that nonsense on THIS trip! 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #3363 on: July 23, 2019, 04:16:19 PM »
Have fun, be safe.
Day Ten.  We’re in Anchorage.  We’ve been through some beautiful and some stormy weather.  Advice given to me by my friends for crossing the Canadian Border:  Those officers do NOT have a sense of humor, so don’t play.  It was “Yes sir” and “No sir”.  I was the first to go through and had all my ducks in a row.  He must have asked me about 15 to 20 questions about my trip and about me.  I told him that I’m a retired CHP and then he made CERTAIN that I wasn’t carrying. Once he was okay with me, he asked about the other guys.  (Two are retired LEOs and one still active).  When he got to the last guy, the active one, he said “I just have one question for you.  Do you like CHiPs?”

I’ve been trying some interesting cuisine.  I’ve had bison, caribou and reindeer.  Yeah, naughty list for me. 

The ALCAN highway is murder on tires.  There’s a lot of spots with loose gravel that warrants careful and tedious riding.  Most of it is hard packed unless it fresh.  In AK, we crossed five miles of loose gravel/dirt/mud on Highway 1 heading out of Tok. 

We had planned on a day trip to Seward today but after breakfast, I discovered that my right fork seal is now blowing oil.  (I had previously used a sealmate and it hadn’t leaked for about 3k miles). So after searching and making several calls, I found a local shop to replace the seals.  We head out for Healy tomorrow.  The mechanic will try to get to it today (no promises) but will definitely start on it tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed...

Offline CDII

« Reply #3364 on: July 26, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »
Ordered a Delkevic full exhaust.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3365 on: July 26, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »
Ordered a Delkevic full exhaust.

Do you already have the ECU reflash or did you order that, also?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CDII

« Reply #3366 on: July 27, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
Hi maxtog
No flash yet on this one. I may try something different than the last time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3367 on: July 27, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »
Hi maxtog  No flash yet on this one. I may try something different than the last time.

New to this forum but now on my 3rd Concours. Had a 1995 C10 and now a 2nd '09 Candy Diamond C14ABS[...]  Delkevic 14" stainless slip on and ECU flash

Which did you choose last time?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CDII

« Reply #3368 on: July 27, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »
Steve's Classic.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3369 on: October 19, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »
Took it in to the dealer to have the front TPS replaced under warranty and brought in two new PR4GT tires to mount/balance @ 43,368mi.  So the last set of PR4GT lasted 16,031 miles (2 years, 5 months).  Not as good as the set before at 18,020 miles.  But I did have a nail that I plugged, and the tread was very near wear indicators.  The last set I ran longer and I could have run these longer, but I wanted to get the TPS taken care of (and warranty pays for the front mount/balance).

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #3370 on: October 20, 2019, 11:21:25 PM »
Took it in to the dealer to have the front TPS replaced under warranty and brought in two new PR4GT tires to mount/balance @ 43,368mi.  So the last set of PR4GT lasted 16,031 miles (2 years, 5 months).  Not as good as the set before at 18,020 miles.  But I did have a nail that I plugged, and the tread was very near wear indicators.  The last set I ran longer and I could have run these longer, but I wanted to get the TPS taken care of (and warranty pays for the front mount/balance).

Max, you are lucky with the free mount and balance- that never worked with me when I got the batteries replaced at tire time. Lots of protesting and $100. to boot.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3371 on: October 21, 2019, 05:37:10 AM »
Max, you are lucky with the free mount and balance- that never worked with me when I got the batteries replaced at tire time. Lots of protesting and $100. to boot.

Oh, that sucks.  If they tried that with me, I would tell the manager, "Fine- you can waste 30 min of labor (or an hour if it is both sensors) replacing the tire with the SAME TIRE when you replace the sensor, then I will come back next week to pay to replace the tire again with a new one.  You will get the same money, but waste valuable time that you could have been making money doing something else for someone else.  And I am sure Kawasaki will not like that you tried to charge them for labor that you also want to charge me, when I tell them what happened."  Of course, they will probably hate me at that point...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3372 on: October 21, 2019, 06:28:45 AM »
It was time to change out the coolant in my C-14 and also to FINALLY replace the leaking exhaust cam cover o-ring.

I pulled off all the plastic yesterday and changed out the coolant.

The front of the motor was such a mess from the leak that I decided to use some spray foam engine degreaser to clean it up before I do the o-ring replacement. I'll be doing the replacement today.

This is what I used for coolant, I've used this same stuff since the bike's first coolant change. That's 4 or 5 coolant swaps.

In the past this coolant has always been green. This time it's blue.

"Honda 08C50-C321S02 coolant , genuine OEM Honda part, type-2 ready to use 50/50 blend, exclusive Honda formula with non-abrasive corrosion inhibitor for maximum protection, advanced type-2 "blue" formula is 100% compatible with original "green" coolant, protects from -34F freeze point to 265F(at 15 PSI), boiling point: 32 fluid ounce. "
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3373 on: October 21, 2019, 03:06:53 PM »
It was time to change out the coolant in my C-14 and also to FINALLY replace the leaking exhaust cam cover o-ring.  The front of the motor was such a mess from the leak that I decided to use some spray foam engine degreaser to clean it up before I do the o-ring replacement.

Interesting, because I was just thinking about that yesterday.  I am trying to plan out a time to do all my work and I was wondering how much oil mess would be on the engine (I know my o-ring is leaking also, I guess they all do) and if I would have to clean it, and if so, how and using what.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3374 on: October 21, 2019, 04:36:14 PM »
It was time to change out the coolant in my C-14 and also to FINALLY replace the leaking exhaust cam cover o-ring.

I pulled off all the plastic yesterday and changed out the coolant.

The front of the motor was such a mess from the leak that I decided to use some spray foam engine degreaser to clean it up before I do the o-ring replacement. I'll be doing the replacement today.

This is what I used for coolant, I've used this same stuff since the bike's first coolant change. That's 4 or 5 coolant swaps.

In the past this coolant has always been green. This time it's blue.

"Honda 08C50-C321S02 coolant , genuine OEM Honda part, type-2 ready to use 50/50 blend, exclusive Honda formula with non-abrasive corrosion inhibitor for maximum protection, advanced type-2 "blue" formula is 100% compatible with original "green" coolant, protects from -34F freeze point to 265F(at 15 PSI), boiling point: 32 fluid ounce. "

C, is your valve cover gasket good?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3375 on: October 21, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »
before I get a bunch of p/m's, just want to say I no longer sell the sensor O-rings;
Passed the whole thing onto Murph to handle and sell, they are still priced well below the OEM non functioning ones, so contact him if you need them.. I think I handed out about 100 at various rides and rallies, in trade for beers..

ride safe y'all and don't "pressure wash" your engine, just spritz it with some "orange cleaner spray" and wipe it down before replacing..

ride safe.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #3376 on: October 21, 2019, 10:07:16 PM »
Oh, that sucks.  If they tried that with me, I would tell the manager, "Fine- you can waste 30 min of labor (or an hour if it is both sensors) replacing the tire with the SAME TIRE when you replace the sensor, then I will come back next week to pay to replace the tire again with a new one.  You will get the same money, but waste valuable time that you could have been making money doing something else for someone else.  And I am sure Kawasaki will not like that you tried to charge them for labor that you also want to charge me, when I tell them what happened."  Of course, they will probably hate me at that point...

They told me the tire didn't have to come completely off to change the TPMS batteries- they can partially dismount the tire in the vicinity of the batteries and change them with no problemos, but "hey, nice try buddy." Also they left me with a real adhesive mess where the old weights were stuck on..anyone know how to safely get that black crap off the rims? At least the TPMS batteries were covered by the warranty.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3377 on: October 22, 2019, 12:46:50 AM »
They told me the tire didn't have to come completely off to change the TPMS batteries- they can partially dismount the tire in the vicinity of the batteries and change them with no problemos, but "hey, nice try buddy."

That is true, but they are still paid to remove/balance/replace.  So they are "cheating".

Also they left me with a real adhesive mess where the old weights were stuck on..anyone know how to safely get that black crap off the rims? At least the TPMS batteries were covered by the warranty.

Yeah, it looks like I have an adhesive mess too.  Mine has the white foam kind, though. Haven't tried removing it yet, but it is on my list.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3378 on: October 22, 2019, 04:52:13 AM »
Also they left me with a real adhesive mess where the old weights were stuck on..anyone know how to safely get that black crap off the rims? At least the TPMS batteries were covered by the warranty.

Goo-Gone will take it off.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3379 on: October 22, 2019, 05:28:39 AM »
Goo-Gone will take it off.

Yeah, I like that stuff (and "orange oil" and similar), but it only works on the adhesive.  The rest of the stuff, like foam, it won't touch, so that has to be removed enough to get to the adhesive part.  In the past, I have had pretty good luck soaking the area in goo-gone/orange oil and scraping a lot with a soft, plastic implement.  Wipe, repeat, reapply, scrape, wipe, over and over.  I have an ancient inspection sticker on the fork tube that I plan to remove that is probably even worse.