Author Topic: One hot space craft  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
One hot space craft
« on: April 05, 2019, 09:58:38 AM »
https://www.space.com/parker-solar-probe-second-sun-perihelion-flyby.html

NASA's Parker Solar Probe Makes 2nd Daring Flyby of the Sun

By Meghan Bartels 5 hours ago Science & Astronomy

NASA's record-breaking solar mission silently completed another close pass of the sun yesterday (April 4).

The maneuver, called a perihelion, resulted in a closest approach at 6:40 p.m. EDT (2240 GMT) yesterday, when the Parker Solar Probe was about 15 million miles (24 million kilometers) above the surface of the sun. That's about the same distance as the spacecraft reached on Nov. 5, 2018, during its first perihelion.

Both of the close grazes broke the previous record, set by the Helios 2 mission in 1976, for the closest a spacecraft has ever come to the sun. But the Parker probe will continue to break its own records during the mission, eventually skimming just 4 million miles (6 million km) above the star's surface.

A similar process is playing out with the probe's speed: At the peak of its first two perihelions, the spacecraft traveled at about 213,200 mph (343,000 km/h), also breaking records, but future close approaches will see the Parker Solar Probe moving still faster.

These close grazes are anxious times for scientists and engineers on the mission because the spacecraft is out of communication with Earth for several days before and after each perihelion. The radio silence is designed to let the spacecraft focus on keeping its instruments tucked safely behind the thick shield that protects them from the incredible heat of the sun's outer atmosphere, the corona.

After the spacecraft retreats from the sun again in its orbit, the data gathered during the maneuver is sent back to scientists eagerly awaiting the information. The researchers hope to use that data to better understand the corona, where temperatures reach millions of degrees in Fahrenheit and Celsius alike.

The corona is also the source of the solar wind, a constant flow of charged particles that stream off of the sun and across the solar system. Because the solar wind can interfere with communication and navigation satellites in orbit around Earth, scientists hope to use the Parker Solar Probe data to better understand how the solar wind works, at its source.

The spacecraft will conduct another perihelion on Sept. 1 and then use Venus' gravity to adjust its path. The orbital tweak will mean the probe's subsequent close approaches will come just a bit closer to the sun's surface. All told, the spacecraft will complete 24 perihelions over the course of its seven-year mission, inching ever closer to the sun and its secrets.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: One hot space craft
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 03:30:17 AM »
I buzz people pretty good on the Connie. They don't wait for data though. They know right away when I make a near pass.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »
Of course it made two passes.
Once during the day and once at night.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 09:58:56 AM »
They should have sent the probe in winter when it's not so hot.  Or maybe during an eclipse.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
Of course it made two passes.
Once during the day and once at night.

Yeah, I get it.  Kind of like the dark side of the moon but it's the Sun?   :stirpot:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »
So, is the sun flat too?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »
Appears to be from the way I'm looking at it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
 :thumbs:  8)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
Thanks Rhino.

I don't know why you have to put up with this stuff. When Conrad puts his good information up he gets thanks and some respect. You are getting these peanut gallery twit responses (usually reserved for V'Jim and max') seems unfair. (funny  ;D  but unfair.)

Please don't let it discourage you, Mr C can't do all the heavy lifting and I'm sure he appreciates the help, as do I.  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »
I certainly appreciate any stellar stuff but you're dealing with 12 year olds here and I'm part of that bunch.. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »
I certainly appreciate any stellar stuff but you're dealing with 12 year olds here and I'm part of that bunch.. ;)

I'm 60 something going on about 8. So I respect my mental elders in this group  ;)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
 No disrespect intended on my part, I just have a habit of trying to inject humor, sometimes where it doesn't belong, .....sorry about that.  I personally DO appreciate the scientific info provided.  I have a big interest in scientific stuff and especially things related to the cosmos.

On the other hand, everyone who knows me (both of them) knows that I may be 63 from the neck down, but from the neck up I'm still 12 or so. 8)

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 01:15:33 AM »
Resembles me completely.  Oh, and according to my wife I'm both simple and a dummy.