Author Topic: Bikes are TOO COMPLEX TODAY RANT  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Chrome Megaphone

Bikes are TOO COMPLEX TODAY RANT
« on: August 18, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
Just my opinion.
See, back in the day there was the Universal Japanese Motorcycle.  Four cylinders, standard riding position.  No ABS, no heated nothing, no nav system, nothing but a powerful bike to get you to work, pleasure ride, or whatever.  If you wanted to take a long trip you just bolt on plexiglass screen and tank/saddle bags and off you went.  You planned the trip on something called a map that you put in the tank bag.  Need I say no one bothered you on the cell phone?  I just cannot understand having something that is jammed up with electronics and ####.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Bikes are TOO COMPLEX TODAY RANT
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 03:16:43 PM »
Well, I like all the fancy **#*$@**   :)

It is great to be on something fast, smooth, comfortable, confident, and reliable.  It is true there is more accessory stuff to break, but I would NEVER go back to carburetoration, for example.  EFI- starts every time, no fuss no muss.  ABS is a *great* safety feature, I will never have a bike without it now.  Love riding listening to music I can easily control.

Sure, there is something "neat" about a low-tech/old bike.  And it might even be fun to ride one once in a while.  But gimme modern for any regular riding.  I am even looking forward to electric (once they get the range issues worked out)- super fast/smooth, quiet, and even more reliable.  I think I would miss having a transmission, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 05:26:49 PM »
 Carburetors start every time if you start and refuel more than once a week.  No, month.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 05:40:06 PM »
Nostalgia. I miss the days of simplicity but some of the fancy stuff is nice to have. EFI is more complex but rarely fails and do not have the issues carbs do. So, some of these fancy stuff is nice to have. In 40 years the fancy of today will be the nostalgia of their yesteryears.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
push button start

disc brakes

fuel injection

suspension

tires

lighting

etc...etc...

Nostalgia is so 20th century.  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 07:08:20 PM »
Personally, I like ABS, cruise control, gps, and electric windshields...  I still carry a paper map though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 07:56:23 PM »
One of my bikes had points and condenser, and a centrifugally actuated advance mechanism, hung on the end of the SOHC cam. I thought it was ok at the time, but I wouldn't want to go back to that.

Much prefer the electronic ignition and fuel injection of my current steed.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 12:26:07 AM »
One of my bikes had points and condenser, and a centrifugally actuated advance mechanism, hung on the end of the SOHC cam. I thought it was ok at the time, but I wouldn't want to go back to that.

Much prefer the electronic ignition and fuel injection of my current steed.
I didn't mention EFI or electronic ignition in the opening post.  While more complex in terms of design those actually simplify ownership and enhance the riding experience by removing distractions   Imagine a SOHC Honda CB with that, it would be a better example of the same bike.  What turns me off is the accessories and rider aids that began with the Gold Wing dressers.  Sheesh the C14 is literally a Gold Wing mated with a BMW.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 03:08:13 AM »
Then I guess you shouldn't buy a C14 then. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.  ::)
If you want a "like new" Z1A or CB750K1 then I guess you need to get you a shed-load of cash.

I have a 1989 C10 that I like,... and a 2007 C14 that I also like.
I like them for very different reasons.

I have owned a variety of bikes dating from the 60's to 2007 and while they all had their own unique charm, about the only one I would like to once again own, is a 1984 Z1300/6. Yes, that's the one with DFI. :-)
I owned a CB750F2 and it was without doubt the most boring motorcycle I have ever owned.
It was adequate at most things but excelled at nothing, and never excited me in any way.
After 2 months and nearly 10000 miles I chopped it in on the Z1300/6 which despite having from awful fuel economy, awful rear tyre consumption and difficult handling, was an absolute hoot to ride.

The 1977 XS500 was fun but unreliable, the 1981 GS550E was under-powered and overweight and unreliable, and the 1961 GoldStar 500 was gutless, had awful brakes, and was horrendously unreliable.

Motorcycles, like many other things in life, have improved massively since I started riding.
They have their faults but overall they are safer, faster, and WAY more reliable.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 08:24:27 AM »
Always loved motorcycle magazine criticisms
Cycle World on the new 1978 Honda CX500, the engine
"looks like an air compressor" lol
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-cx500

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 09:02:24 AM »
"looks like an air compressor" lol

It really does look like an air compressor.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »
I had a Silver Wing (81) as my first bike that used that engine.  There were two, 500 and 650 CC.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 10:33:40 AM »
I had a Silver Wing (81) as my first bike that used that engine.  There were two, 500 and 650 CC.
Ideal (and nice) first bike.  When the sport 600s came out guys were buying those and busting themselves and the bikes up.
This was my first bike, the CB750A. Sublime the way it just went from a stop.  Wish I kept it, was embarrassed to be seen on it at the time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 10:43:44 AM »
My brother loved his 750.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »
My brother loved his 750.
I really loved my DOHC 750F.  My first tuned bike with a beautiful chrome Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust, black & chrome foam pod filters, Dynojet needles, jets, drilled slides, cafe fairing, fork brace, painted British Racing Green.  Learned to ride fast and slide the rear with amatuer road racers in the Texas Hill Country (and Twist Of The Wrist Vol 2).  It would roll past a stock 750 Interceptor and make music through those pipes.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 12:17:57 PM »
Despite the older skew of this group, Chrome M' I'm afraid your search for commiseration or kindred spirits here maybe fruitless. I have two mid seventies
motorcycles and both have been upgraded to electronic ignition and if it was easy they'd both have fuel injection as well. I'm sure they'd both run better with the mighty powah of
KIPASS
, but alas Brian (aka BDF) hasn't come out with his universal KIPASS system yet.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »
Both my bikes have fairings and hard bags. Both have carbs-infinately tunable. Never a problem.
They both have points. One OEM, the other converted after the OEM electronic system went Tango Uniform in 4k miles.
Brakes? Triple Brembos.
GPS? Yes, they have Gluteus Positioning Systems.
Only problem I have is I can't get either to run on more than two cylinders.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 02:15:26 PM »
Whatever an individual or even a group of people may want, motorcycles continue to become more modernized as the years go by. KiPass is not unique to the C-14 (well that specific name is but not the basic type of system), and carburetors and points ain't comin' back ever. In some ways this does make them more complex but the trade- off is greatly increased reliability and less service, especially 'it will not start' type of service and worst of all 'it stranded me' service. And yes, things such as KiPass and all the other electronics do bring with them the possibility of new, modern type failures, the older cruder forms of machine were far less reliable overall.

While Marty is right in that this is generally an older group of people I think the great majority of us can be honest enough to realize that most changes over, say, the last four decades have resulted in better machines. Personally, I do not miss wiping out distributor caps when they got wet and would not run.  ::)

Brian

Despite the older skew of this group, Chrome M' I'm afraid your search for commiseration or kindred spirits here maybe fruitless. I have two mid seventies
motorcycles and both have been upgraded to electronic ignition and if it was easy they'd both have fuel injection as well. I'm sure they'd both run better with the mighty powah of
KIPASS
, but alas Brian (aka BDF) hasn't come out with his universal KIPASS system yet.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »
Perhaps rereading the opening post is needed.
Nowhere are digital ignition and EFI criticized.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »
I think those two things are at the top of the list making modern motorcycles more complex.

Brian

Perhaps rereading the opening post is needed.
Nowhere are digital ignition and EFI criticized.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com