Author Topic: Zen and the Art of Parts Cleaning  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Boomer343

Zen and the Art of Parts Cleaning
« on: November 30, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »
So I seem to have come full circle.

At a young age I started playing with mechanical things and with that came the cleaning of parts. Various solvents, of course gasoline and who knows what else I laid my hands on. Made the mistake of doing it in the basement a couple of times and got the look and word from my Mother not to let it happen again.

Then through the years I got to play with high pressure cleaners and hot tanks and solvent tanks and bead blasters and stuff you're supposed to wear protective equipment around and chemicals that are now banned from use let alone manufacture.

So now I find myself at home with parts that need cleaning, got the look and the word from the wife that there better not be any noxious fumes or chemical smells or crap tracked anywhere.

So here I am using water based cleaners, must have been a fellow with lots of time on his hands who thought them up, and new age WD40. Lots of paper towels and drop cloths everywhere.

So I got to spend 3 hours cleaning what would take a hot tanking 15 minutes and I'm not done by a long stretch. Tooth brushes, dental picks, brass brushes, stiff bristle brushes, 3M scuff pads and even a test tube brush to remove 40 year old crud.

So I've come a little ways along the circle path and I got to chuckle at myself and think about nothing and everything at the same time.

As Martha Stewart used to say.....and that's a good thing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Zen and the Art of Parts Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:00:38 AM »
I find it a cathartic experience to work on mechanical things.  It calms me down, especially if I'm not in a hurry and can enjoy the experience.  Is it Zen?  I'm not sure, but it does make me feel more at peace with the world.  Riding does the same, of course, with some days being better than others.  When you become one with the bike on a ride, it becomes special experience and is a feeling I don't get working on the mechanical aspects.  Different, but perhaps tapping the ether from a different point.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »
Boomer,

Have you considered an ultrasonic cleaner?

Jim,

I agree with your post about working on things 100%, as long as things are going somewhat as planed. If things go south, it's just the opposite of calming. Doing things myself gives me a sense of satisfaction like nothing else does. That applies to my bike, cars, house, whatever.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »
Considered an Ultrasonic cleaner.......how well do you know my wife.....she says she isn't interested in old motorcycle parts or their cleaning.....VBG

Have a small ultasonic unit but for engine cases I'd need to have utility stocks to offset the heater and running costs. Plus the wd40 leaves my hands nice and soft and seems to relieve some of the old age pains in the joints as well.

No the pleasure from something often comes when it is no longer a requirement for living or part of the job. How many of us need a motorcycle or have one as our only means of transportation to our work. We have a BMW Z4 car as an example that tells the world we don't need this vehicle but do enjoy it.

Back to cleaning....got to get some stains out of the aluminium fins on the cylinders.....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:12:15 PM by Boomer343 »

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 03:05:09 AM »
Jim, that attitude has always fascinated me.  It's like I'm on the outside looking in.

My worst day riding beats my best day wrenching by a huge margin.  Hell, even a mediocre day working beats wrenching--at work at least I'm making money.  And the Connie takes a lot more wrenching than my H-D did.  I really wish I liked wrenching.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:07:47 AM »
Jim, that attitude has always fascinated me.  It's like I'm on the outside looking in.

My worst day riding beats my best day wrenching by a huge margin.  Hell, even a mediocre day working beats wrenching--at work at least I'm making money. And the Connie takes a lot more wrenching than my H-D did.  I really wish I liked wrenching.
But not as often.

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 05:33:27 AM »
 :thumbs:
Right on, Boomer. Like the welder who repaired Phaderous's chain guard, If you can be one with your work you will feel right when your work is right. And it will show to all who have the sight.

As far as solvents, try Simple Green, or one of the Orange based Cleaners. Not as fast as the old toxic s, but not as toxic and still works good!
'02 C-10

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:50:21 AM »
I miss toxic solvents.....sigh.   :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 06:06:26 AM »
There's always Vodka.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:23 AM »
Somewhat pricey for a cleaner that cleans and you can drink as well....  Come to think of it, that's not bad at all.  Thanks!

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 07:24:32 AM »
But not as often.

HD Oil change--every 5k, full synthetic and filter.  Tools required:  1 stubby screwdriver, drain pan, $3 oil filter from wal-mart.
Primary chain tension & clutch check and adjust every 10k.
Valves:never

Concours:  Oil change:  every 5k, full synthetic and filter.  tools required:  Socket, crow's foot, cartridge filter, lots of rags to wipe up spillage from idiotic, messy cartridge filter.
Valves:  Every 10K, and I've had to adjust 3-4 of them each time.

It was about ten times easier to check and usually not adjust the primary chain and clutch on my XLH than do the valves on the kawi.

The H-D also came with a grease zerk installed in the steering head so the owner didn't have to tear down the front end to lube the steering head bearings.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
Ahh yes, the joy of hydraulic lifters. I concede your point.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »
I miss toxic solvents.....sigh.   :'(

I have some acetone in the shop that you're welcome to Jim.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 10:42:32 AM »
Vodka and acetone........doesn't that make Scotch?

I use a product called Purple Power for a water based cleaner. Industrial product...first time I cleaned out a gunked up antifreeze overflow container I put some of the PP in and covered the opening with the palm of my hand and shook the container. Day later I had a perfect circle of skin peeling off my hand......no going blind jokes ....stick with vodka and acetone please.

Just about have the fins on the cylinders cleaned up then onto the head and valve cover before splitting the cases to replace the cam chain.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
Boomer, what are you working on? all this chatter and nobody asked. Unless I missed it.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
g I'm working on a Honda CB/CL350 1972 vintage. Did a 73 CL350 restoration a few years ago and I was lucky enough to have a very good bike to start with and then found another that was 80% of the first bike as far as condition went. I had the red/white and the blue /hite colors and when I sold the bike both sets went with the bike.

Second bikes engine had a bad cam lobe and lifter but otherwise in excellent shape. I was going to build a  tracker with the CL frame and engine then put the wheels and forks from a Suzuki GN400 onto it. Then a CB350 project followed me home with many boxes of new aftermarket parts and a rebuilt engine. The CB engine has polished side covers with black cases and appears to have been rebuilt by someone with some skills. That engine will go into the street tracker after I do a minor teardown....just my way.

So what I want to do is put the CL engine into the CB frame and keep it with the original look but with some mods and mild customization......got to run and wash the aluminium jelly off....