Author Topic: You want me to land this *WHERE*?  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: You want me to land this *WHERE*?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
Is that supposed to be real video or is it CGI?  Reason I ask is the rotors on the helicopter are turning backwards, wwhich tends not to work.  That could be due to the frame speed-vs-RPM issue which makes wagon wheels in westerns look like they are turning backwards.  Or it could be a screw up by the CGI programmer if that's what it is.  If it's real, that's a great piloting job, don't mean to disparage a good pilot.  It just looks fake to me.  Some others who commented in the original video link think so also.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »
If it is fake, it's a good one. Given the company name is on the vid, it's apparently a company landing spot on Youtube, and the company website states this is more/less what they do... Camera (gyro stabilized mount) in the helo mirrors what's seen outside, especially near the end. And I've never known an Aussie to refuse a "hey, hole ma beer, watch this" challenge ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:51:44 PM »
Look at the flags the ground crew is holding. That is about impossible to mimic in CGI.

I wonder what was so important -- it looks like land not too far in the background.

Offline OilheadMike

• Evolution: A Fairy Tale For Grownups
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 03:09:52 AM »
11 December 2011

<< "Reason I ask is the rotors on the helicopter are turning backwards, wwhich tends not to work.  That could be due to the frame speed-vs-RPM issue which makes wagon wheels in westerns look like they are turning backwards. >>

Most helicopter main rotor rotation designs, when observed from above, are counter clockwise (CCW).  Main design differences in the CW direction are the French, Russians, Poles, Indians, etc.  The U.S., UK,, German, Italian, Japanese, they are CCW.

<<"That could be due to the frame speed-vs-RPM issue">>

That is correct - it's a frame speed vs rpm refresh rate sync that gives the illusion of backward rotation.  Also, the blades are turning too slowly for effective lift, and if you observe carefully, you can see the aft tip sweep of the rotor blades, which are by design on the trailing edge of the outboard tip section of the blades.

This is not fake - that is authentic footage.

<<"I wonder what was so important -- it looks like land not too far in the background">>

The leading part of the vidoe states "Ship Helicopter Operating Limit Development."  This is operational testing (OT), in realistic environments, just like the crew and system would be expected to conduct actual operational deployments.  Looks fun, eh?  Try this stuff at NIGHT.  A whole 'nuther ballgame.

I have 635 carrier landings, mostly in the F-14, in all-weather / day / night conditions, calm seas and hugely pitching decks (yes, large CVN nuke carriers can move around a LOT in heavy seas), and that video is dead-on realistic of what Naval Aviation around the world does for both fixed-wing and rotary-wing operations.

Pitching deck and nasty low-visibility night landings are really a lot of "fun."

Cheers,
Mike
Mike Shelton
CMA#26109 / IBA#9019
2003 R1150RT / 1992 Connie 1000 (once upon a time)

Offline cmoore

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:59:27 AM »
It made me seasick. Good job by the pilot. I thought for sure he was going to say screw it and pull off.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 04:46:03 AM »
Trying to read co-ord's from instruments, might be Faroe Islands in a Northerly??
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »
I think the ship is HDMS Ejnar Mikkelsen (Denmark).  It patrols the Greenland Sea...  P-571

Launched in November 2007, she is the second vessel of the Knud Rasmussen class OPV.
MMSI: 220429000
Ship Type: Patrol Vessel.
Displacement: 1,720 tonnes
LOA:61m, beam 14.6m, draught 4.95m
Complement: 18 crew (but can accommodate up to 43 )
Propulsion:
2 x 2,720 kW (3650 hp) at 800 rpm, B&W
Alpha 8L27/28 diesel engines, 1 propeller
Range: 3,000 nautical miles (3,452 mi / 5,555 km)
Performance: top speed 17 - 18 knots (31.5 - 33.2 km/h)
Armament: 2 x 12.7 mm Browning M/01 LvSa HMG (standard, options exist)
Flag: Denmark [Navy]
Call Sign: OVFH
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:35:14 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:38:36 AM »
It made me seasick. Good job by the pilot. I thought for sure he was going to say screw it and pull off.

+1...

:doublepuke:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »
You can see the coast in the back ground. I can only imagine the pucker factor when the coast is beyond range and your only choice is that bucking bronco or a cold swim.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
didnt look fake to me .
 Not a very big landing deck either . 
The view  from cockpit was very nauseating.

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
I have 635 carrier landings, mostly in the F-14, in all-weather / day / night conditions, calm seas and hugely pitching decks (yes, large CVN nuke carriers can move around a LOT in heavy seas), and that video is dead-on realistic of what Naval Aviation around the world does for both fixed-wing and rotary-wing operations.

If this is too much of an imposition just ignore me, but can I make a request? Being something of an aviation buff, I wonder if you could start a new thread (and apologies for polluting this one) and go through a typical mission from beginning to end. What was your "schedule", as far as that goes? Where and how did you get your orders, and then step-by step through the mission, to landing and (I assume) debriefing. Obviously I'm not asking you to divulge anything sensitive, and I appreciate that every trip would probably be different, but anything you could share would be cool. And no detail is too small! TIA!
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »
Armament: 2 x 12.7 mm Browning M/01 LvSa HMG

That gun turret on the front looks a bit larger than a .50 cal.   :o
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline OilheadMike

• Evolution: A Fairy Tale For Grownups
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 02:33:05 AM »
<<"If this is too much of an imposition just ignore me, but can I make a request? Being something of an aviation buff, I wonder . . . .">>

YOssarian, I sent you a PM to ping me off list at my e-mail address.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Shelton
CMA#26109 / IBA#9019
2003 R1150RT / 1992 Connie 1000 (once upon a time)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 04:23:04 AM »
That gun turret on the front looks a bit larger than a .50 cal.   :o

And you would be right....    That's a 76mm Super Rapid.

The standard armament can be supplemented by the two Stanflex modulary mission payload slots (one on the foredeck, the other aft of the superstructure), which can be fitted with a multi-purpose gun, surface-to-air missiles, or ASW torpedoes, along with other non-weapon payloads.  Another two container positions are "prepared for" but not installed; one stb. and one port on the heli deck.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 07:19:29 AM »
And you would be right....    That's a 76mm Super Rapid.

The standard armament can be supplemented by the two Stanflex modulary mission payload slots (one on the foredeck, the other aft of the superstructure), which can be fitted with a multi-purpose gun, surface-to-air missiles, or ASW torpedoes, along with other non-weapon payloads.  Another two container positions are "prepared for" but not installed; one stb. and one port on the heli deck.

I thought two .50 cals seemed kind of under-armed.  Heck, I think our Coast Guard arms their rowboats with more than that.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »
Impressive!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »
I thought two .50 cals seemed kind of under-armed.  Heck, I think our Coast Guard arms their rowboats with more than that.   ;D

Yeah, but I think that's overkill for them.  They patrol up near Greenland and I think the only dangerous things up there would be ice and killer whales or possibly an errant volcano.