Author Topic: The Saratoga un-rally!  (Read 2142 times)

Bob

The Saratoga un-rally!
« on: June 19, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
 Well y'all missed out on a great ride, trip, meet & greet, etc. We had a great time on the Saratoga un-rally. We started off small. There was suppose to be three of us riding out of Newburgh, NY. But The third member had to call in sick. So it was just Alex Benoit and I on the beginning of the journey. We had a really nice ride out around reservoirs up towards Oneonta, NY. We continued north where we met up with David Harvey, Tom Taylor and Blaise Brojakowski, in Ilion.
 Since the purpouse of going this route was to ride the Ilion Gorge. So that's what we did. I personally ran it each way once. I had a good run headed south through the gorge behind David. But I backed off towards the end when a tanker came around a corner a little too much in my lane for comfort.
 On the south end, we regrouped, turned around and rode back north through the gorge. I can say that I am really disappointed by my performance running north. I felt like I got it all wrong. I seemed like I had all my lines wrong and had to use brakes before the turns. I Felt at times like I was pushing wide in the turns with a squirming feeling and actually thought I had a flat tire. Maybe I was just hitting too many frost heaves and tar snakes?  :-[   I'm literally disgusted in my performance on that run and apologize for probably screwing up everyone else's run, since I was out front!
 If you never rode Ilion gorge. It's a very tight turned rode that cuts through Ilion gorge (route 51) in Ilion, NY. It's a very challenging (technical) road to ride. So riding it at speed is an experience. Of course we never broke the speed limit!  :)
 Anyway after the ride through the gorge. We decided to have lunch at this little outdoor burger shop in Ilion. The place called Froggy's was an out door type place. But I will say they had a really great burger and awesome lemonade. Not cheap by any means, but really good!
 From there the ride continued on up to Sacandaga Lake. That's where we wound up parting ways with David and Tom who headed back home from there. Blaise, Alex and I continued and headed south towards Saratoga.
 In Saratoga, we met up at the Saratoga Downtowner motel with the rest of the group. Greg (Mitch) & Lisa Mitchell, Kathy and Jocelyn Brojakowski, And My wife and Daughter Cindy and Carly Barbanti. The Saratoga Downtowner is right in down town Saratoga. Which allows for convenient walking to most things you would want to do in Saratoga!
 We had the Saratoga group of 9 for diner in the Olde Bryan Inn Restaurant. The food and company was excellent! After dinner we all strolled along Broadway in Saratoga. Then wound up socializing back in the motel pool common area (near the pool) until about 11PM. That's when we called it a night.
 The today (Sunday) Alex and I took another shorter route coming back home. But like the trip up, it was all back twisty roads. So all in all I put on over 500 miles of all back road type tiding. So Alex has got to be close to 600.
 I personally had a great time and want to thank all 11 people who participated in this event in one way or another. I think I am going to do another overnight ride like this again. It really was a great time. Next time I won't screw up and plan it on a holiday!  :))

Bob

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: The Saratoga un-rally!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
It was a great time with a great group! I'm looking forward to more of the same in the future  ;D
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline kathybrj

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
It's not reflective, it looks bullet proof and it serves no purpose we can figure...

(maybe he WAS wearing it when the sheet rock hit him......)

Here it is...first and last time you'll see it...

THE VEST!!

bbroj's better half

'14 Honda CTX 700

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
And someone even got a picture of it, I'll never live this down! You have to see the seat on my bike up close to fully understand, they are a matched set! Bob, no mention of the A-Team blast through the debris field? My front tire and fairing went through that sheet of foam/sheetrock/whatever like a V blade plow through fresh fallen powder! you got to dodge flying boots, I saw a garbage bag fly off to my right and Alex said he saw a saw blade roll across the road! Good times to be had by all! I put that El Camino in my mirrors and didn't look back (other than to be sure we all made it through!)
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »
Looks and sounds like a great time was had! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Bob

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 06:19:08 AM »
 :-[    Yeah, I forgot to mention the blast through the debris field! Yes, yes, on the way up to Sacandaga Lake. Blaise was leading us at a fairly conservative and safe pace. That is until we caught the El Camino!!! He had straps on the pile in the back. I guess wind must have gotten up under the sheet rock and took it and everything on top of it up in the air. All I saw was a wall of sheet rock coming at us. Luckily it shot towards the ground when Blaise hit it. (Or so I thought) Then it was debris flying everywhere. Bikes scattered all of the place avoiding stuff. I was going around hunks of sheet rock when I saw the red boots bouncing down the road next to me!  :)) But there was a mess all over the road. I can say after that we were lucky. At first I though either Blaise of I was going to take a shot directly from that big piece of sheet rock. I can see it now. My bike continues on without me. As I'm laying in the road waiting to get run over by the other three bikes! No that would not have been good. But I can laugh about it now since nobody was hurt and no damage to the bikes.  :)) But I have to say that it added a little extra excitement to the ride!