Author Topic: How many was that?? Rear wheel bearing failure.  (Read 57480 times)

Offline MGvaleri

How many was that?? Rear wheel bearing failure.
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »
How many was that??
Fusion axle with suspension triangle. ( Tetra Lever)

http://youtu.be/yp0kQ-UtYwM

MGvalerioi. :deadhorse:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:09:06 AM by VirginiaJim »
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline MGvaleri

Re: How many was that??
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:35:56 AM »
Trying to figure out what happened, new frames at the end of video.

http://youtu.be/TlLTAePregI

MGvalerio. :-[

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:48:57 AM »

This has happened to me has happened since returning home, mileage 460 km round trip made ​​in highway, for a meeting with an old friend former GTRista.

http://youtu.be/2BHAe2Zl1I8

MGvalerio. :) :-[

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:24:51 AM »
So the axle nut didn't come off but it looks like the axle shaft seized?  Bearing go bad in the rear wheel?  I've never seen anything like what you are showing.  The rear rotor doesn't look scorched so I don't think it was a rock jamming the rear brake pedal.  I can't really tell, MG.  I've updated your subject line a bit to get some more views on this.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
Re: How many was that?? Rear axle shaft seizing?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »
Man, that looks like some SERIOUS heat forward and below the right side of the end of the axle.  That's crazy weird.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 07:55:32 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
bearings or did you run over something?  That wheel shouldn't be wobbling like that.  Do me a favor and send a note to Ugo on what's going on and he can provide the translation. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
 :yikes:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
Tramite Email una rivista di Moto Italiana (MOTOCICLISMO) da me interpellata a già  informato la casa madre (KAWASAKI)del mio accaduto.
In seguito v'informerò dell'evolversi di tale evento avuto al mio C14 (GTR 1400)

MGvalerio.

Place Email one Italian Moto Rivista di (motorcycling) gives me a interpellata

informato home mom (KAWASAKI) accaduto of mine.

In seguito vi di tale informerò dell'evolversi avuto event to my C14 (GTR 1400)

MGvalerio.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
Not following you, MG  :'(

Offline ugocon

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »
Valerio's saying that he e-mailed the most important Italian motorbike magazine, "Motociclismo", and that they assured him about having immediately informed Kawasaki about it.
He'll keep us posted about the evolution.

My personal comment is that even if it is out of warranty and the mileage is high, things like that should never happen!
If the bearings suddendly broke/cracked it's a very serious problem: bearings should just become worn out and create play but NEVER break!  :o

I'm curious to know the feedback from Kawasaki: if they're serious they should send an inspector.

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »
Thanks Ugo, you've saved the day again.  So it has to do with bearings, then.  Time to check mine.  I've had good luck on this bike, unlike the C10, with the bearings.  I do check them every year at least and so far (knock on wood) no issues.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »
I'm not 100% sure it has to do with bearings, but I don't see what else it could be!
When braking you hear the "cling" sound that is probably due to an eccessive play because somethig "structural" broke: what else if not the bearings??

Anyway, I think that Kawasaki has now plenty of clips to examine before sending an ispector: let's wait for their reply... not for too long, eh?   ;)
If needed I will contact them to push things forward.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »
I'm not 100% sure it has to do with bearings, but I don't see what else it could be!
When braking you hear the "cling" sound that is probably due to an eccessive play because somethig "structural" broke: what else if not the bearings??

Anyway, I think that Kawasaki has now plenty of clips to examine before sending an ispector: let's wait for their reply... not for too long, eh?   ;)
If needed I will contact them to push things forward.

Good luck with that! At least you won't have to speak with Mark here in the US.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »
I think the contact name is Marco in Italy ::) .

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
Is it possible it may be the impacts from the two accidents the bike was involved in, that caused this?
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »
I think the contact name is Marco in Italy ::) .

:rotflmao:

Offline ugocon

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
Yeah, contact centers are the same all over the world!  ;D

I just spoke to Valerio on the phone and he confirmed that is the bearing
I also was doubtful if the small accidents he had could have had a role in this or if the mechanic had removed and mounted badly the rear wheel, but he excluded it.
He also told me that Kawasaki has already asked for the frame number of the bike.
Let's see... things are moving on.

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
Looks like good old pressure washer damage to the bearing. The grease gets washed out and the bearing self destructs. MGvalerioi's bike always looked nice and clean!
Bearings are cheap and easy to change. He's lucky it did not cause an accident.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
It looks to me like the right axle bearing fried (horrifically overheated) and lost some of the needle rollers inside it. The interesting thing about those videos is that the rear wheel jumps out of alignment on the second revolution of the wheel, not each revolution. That indicates to me that what is left of the bearing is still rotating (probably just the needle retainer now and <maybe> a needle or two) and causing the oscillation to be out of time with the rear wheel. It also looks like the hub side of the rear wheel is supporting the rear wheel and causing it to turn pretty steadily and straight until the side- force from the brake application pulls the wheel away from that axis of rotation. I am not sure if this message will translate into Italian gracefully but I do not know how to make it much simpler and keep the meaning intact. ??

That bike is going to need a bunch of parts, perhaps including parts or even an entire new drive hub depending on how hot it got in there. The right axle mount is clearly shot as it badly overheated when the actual failure (I think bearing failure) happened. No doubt a new axle will be needed.

The usual mode of failure for wheel bearings is that the seal fails to seal, then contaminates enter the bearing itself and finally the bearing fails (rather than wears out). My 2008 C-14 is in need of a new rear wheel seal right now as a matter of fact. The wheel bearing is still fine but it won't stay that way for long unless sealed from water and road dust. By the way, I have replaced the front wheel bearing seals twice already on this bike and it is coming up on needing a set of front seals again, probably next summer.

I am not much for yelling about safety or becoming overly concerned about reasonably normal noises, wear, etc. but that is WAY, WAY outside of the normal envelope and needs to be fixed before riding the bike. Not sure how this will translate either but what you have there is NOT a Mary Jane Tinklepants situation.

Best of luck getting it fixed, and also good luck getting the factory to repair it. Not sure what Kawasaki's stance is going to be about this but it will be interesting to hear how it goes.

Brian

Trying to figure out what happened, new frames at the end of video.

http://youtu.be/TlLTAePregI

MGvalerio. :-[
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com