Author Topic: High altitude parachute attempt  (Read 1859 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
High altitude parachute attempt
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »
So they are trying set a new altitude free- fall record of 120,000 feet (23 miles up). If successful, they expect the gentleman doing the jump to go supersonic without an aircraft on his way back down to the surface.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/36096/felix+baumgartner+is+headed+up+for+his+23-mile-high+skydive/

I know Conrad would normally keep us informed but his is indisposed :-)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: High altitude parachute attempt
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
What a colossal waste of money. How does this move mankind forward?

Offline BanditDude

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »
It was private money (Red Bull).  For their money, they received hours of live TV coverage (commercials) and months of positive press.

It helps by 1) testing a pressure suit under adverse conditions and 2) gathering test data for a possible escape/ejection following a launch or re-entry failure.

My hat is off to the man.   Well done. :thumbs:

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »
How does this move mankind forward?
Gravity seems to have taken care of that aspect.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:14 AM »
Who cares? How does buying a motorcycle move mankind forward? (I know, I know, no jokes)
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »
...and 'a colossal waste of money' would be like buying a slow black motorcycle.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:01:51 AM »
If I had the $$ AND bearings I'd do it ;D  Did anyone else notice when he started spinning?  I've seen what that does to HALO jumpers (another Baumgartner BTW), turns em black and blue.
A real colassal waste of money was moving the shuttle into LA.  Isn't that state broke?  Like traffic isn't bad enough.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
If I had the $$ AND bearings I'd do it ;D  Did anyone else notice when he started spinning?  I've seen what that does to HALO jumpers (another Baumgartner BTW), turns em black and blue.
A real colassal waste of money was moving the shuttle into LA.  Isn't that state broke?  Like traffic isn't bad enough.

LA wanted to start another shuttle service.  They just kind of missed the boat on it though.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
...and 'a colossal waste of money' would be like buying a slow black motorcycle.
:yikes:  :battle: