Author Topic: This could explain everything....  (Read 6221 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
This could explain everything....
« on: January 30, 2014, 06:14:08 AM »
So I caught this article about how we (modern humans) may have a lot more Neanderthal DNA than was previously thought. This alone could explain so many things..... :-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/29/modern-human-dna-neanderthal_n_4689506.html?utm_hp_ref=science

But it does beg the question: which one of you guy's great- great- great- great ^40 grandmothers 'dated' a Neanderthal to get us into this mess? Sure I understand there were probably extenuating circumstances.... Sat. night, nothing to do, raining out, hiding out in the cave from the wolves, sitting next to the squat, hairy guy and he really doesn't look that bad when it is pitch dark, and things just sort of happen but c'mon, was that really a good idea? Are there no limits?

This does explain some of 'those' posts though, huh?

:rotflmao:

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: This could explain everything....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:21:47 AM »
Brian, I have to question the validity of your source when I find this as the next headline.... :o

10 Reasons To Lift Weights With Your Vagina, In Case You Were Wondering

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 06:45:45 AM »
What, you didn't know Neanderthals were really, really tough? You've heard of the 'clean and jerk'? Well, maybe Neanderthal women performed the old 'pinch and lift': hey, it could happen, right?

;D

Yeah, I don't know if that data is valid or not. My previous understanding was that there were three groups, European and derivitives, Asian and Africans and there was something like 2 to 4%, 1-2% and -0- Neanderthal DNA in present day humans (homo sapiens sapiens). Not my field of study but just based on common sense, it would seem that if a species were dying out and interbred (yeck) with us, the percentage of the other species w/in us now would be quite small. I don't even know if there is any scientific agreement that there is ANY Neanderthal DNA in us anyway. But then when I see someone with red hair.... (old joke from eugenics: red haired people were descended from Orangutans).

Brian

Brian, I have to question the validity of your source when I find this as the next headline.... :o

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:26:18 AM »
Don't humans share like 98% of our DNA with chimps?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:18:31 AM »
No.  It's more like 98.5...  I wonder if that has anything to do with our normal body temp?  In which case, I share less than that as my normal temp is lower. Inquiring minds want to know, but the chimp in me could care less.  Now where's that banana I was working on?  I also wonder if Chimps are smarter than Gorillas?  I've always thought that I was smarter than the average ape...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 08:57:56 AM »
Your banana, Sir.....

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »
Interesting video.  :rotflmao:

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
While I tend to stay away from the HuffPost, this article may be useful in explaining where the term "ape hangers" for Harley handlebars came from.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
While I tend to stay away from the HuffPost, this article may be useful in explaining where the term "ape hangers" for Harley handlebars came from.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »

:o

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
I doubt you are serious but just in case: it does not appear so. After years of trying to communicate with the chimpanzees, a woman named Francine Patterson found far more success with a pair of gorillas than anyone else had had with chimps. The female gorilla, Koko, uses American Sign Language to communicate with humans quite effectively. What I think was even more amazing was that when the male was very young (the female is older), Koko started to teach him ASL on her own. http://www.koko.org/world/  Many years ago I saw here on a Nat. Geo. show and she would occasionally 'get loose' on a college campus; she would run up to everyone (all the students) and sign ferociously at them.... which of course scared them a bit :-)  But what she was doing was asking for money (seriously) and if she got some, she would race off to the vending machine and get herself a Coke.

Then there is the Border Collie, Chaser, who is intelligent enough to figure out which of over 1,000 toys is which by name only. She has also figured out that given a name she does not know, it must be the new stuffed toy in the collection.

But you probably were not serious and that was just the vodka talking....  :rotflmao:

Brian

No.  It's more like 98.5...  I wonder if that has anything to do with our normal body temp?  In which case, I share less than that as my normal temp is lower. Inquiring minds want to know, but the chimp in me could care less.  Now where's that banana I was working on?  I also wonder if Chimps are smarter than Gorillas?  I've always thought that I was smarter than the average ape...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
Well, maybe I was serious...but then maybe not.  Not sure if that's the Chimp, Gorilla, or the human in me talking.  You do know I have other voices...

Banana martini, eh?  Thanks, Gary.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »
And while you know they are not real, those other voices still have some really cool ideas, right?

:rotflmao:

As far as which voice you are using.... I think it is a group effort. Scratch a human the wrong way and watch the caveman come out. We are all using all of our voices all the time and sometimes I think it is amazing we do as well as we do what with that chorus  ???

Brian

Well, maybe I was serious...but then maybe not.  Not sure if that's the Chimp, Gorilla, or the human in me talking.  You do know I have other voices...

Banana martini, eh?  Thanks, Gary.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Don't humans share like 98% of our DNA with chimps?

The chimps just called, they want their DNA back.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »
And so this talk of politics and Koko got me thinking..... To be the president of the US, there are only three rules.

1) You have to be a natural born US citizen (cannot be naturalized).
2) You have to be 35 years old.
3) You have to have lived in the US for at least 14 years.

Koko is 42 years old.
Koko was born in San Francisco, CA, USofA and has sufficient paperwork and evidence that there is no question about that.
Koko has been in the US continuously for 42 years.

Hmmmmmm. I wonder if Koko has any party affiliation? Or maybe she is, as a friend of mine once said he was, too smart to be a Democrat or a Republican....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
They ain't gettin' mine- I am busy using it. They can have my mammalian diving reflex but that's it....

Brian

The chimps just called, they want their DNA back.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
And here I thought your first thread was going to be...

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »
And so this talk of politics and Koko got me thinking..... To be the president of the US, there are only three rules.

1) You have to be a natural born US citizen (cannot be naturalized).

That lets me out..not that I would want the job.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
Well, there have been exceptions for those born before the Constitution was adopted. So depending on how old you are, you still might squeeze in....  ;)

Brian

That lets me out..not that I would want the job.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »
That chatter can't be correct or Obama wouldn't be prez ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine