Author Topic: A new high.... or is it a low?  (Read 2852 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
A new high.... or is it a low?
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »
So Andrea and I are out riding to the beaches in the south end of the state WHEN SUDDENLY, we pass this woman driving and texting. But wait.... it gets better: we are on a semi- highway (divided lanes, speeds of 50 - 55 but some intersections) and moving along pretty nicely, and as I slowly pass her I noticed the cell phone held in her left hand against the steering wheel with the right hand typing away. Hey as this happens everyday, all day, nothing here that would stand out except.... she is wearing an eye patch! Outstanding- no peripheral vision on the left side (where I am in relationship to her car BTW) and she is driving and texting. Now to be honest, I could not see the right side of her face so it is possible that she was wearing two eye patches....  ::)

"Bondo in your doors shows courage in your heart." or so I have heard :-(

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: A new high.... or is it a low?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
 :yikes: Twist the wrist and get away from her as fast as you can!!! :yikes:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 07:10:11 PM »
Actually it was sort of amazing how well she was driving- much better than the average teenage texting- driver. In a gruesome sort of way of course. :-)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline max1138

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
youre frightening the children with the cage driving horror stories.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 05:05:07 AM »
Actually it was sort of amazing how well she was driving- much better than the average teenage texting- driver. In a gruesome sort of way of course. :-)

Brian

Maybe it's the case that since she lost one eye that her other senses have stepped up to fill the gap? Her driving 'sense' and her texting 'sense' are more acute now with her eye gone.

Maybe not...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
Are you sure she wasn't holding a second phone to her right ear with her shoulder and a cup of coffee in her lap?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »
Yeah well it frightens me a little bit too and I am the one who was there.

In the end, riding a motorcycle generates a certain risk that all of us who ride must accept (or be oblivious to). I understood that a long time ago and basically was done thinking about it. The only thing that scares me on a motorcycle is 'forrest rats' (white tail deer and / or whatever similar critters dwell outside the northeast in the US). They are unpredictable because they do not know what they are going to do so how could we (riders) possibly make any provisions to avoid them. Their "insanity" is what scares me.

Now car drivers have always been a menace but I have always felt I could shave the odds of a collision by not allowing certain things to happen (never ride next to any vehicle at a highway split for example- when they decide they want the other road, they will roll over you to get in that lane). And some small number of accidents, such as hitting a bike at a red light, just happen but they used to be rare. But now, with cell phones and GPS's to program, there is a lot for drivers to tinker with while driving and it has really had a huge impact (pun intended). Attention to driving has gone WAY down in the last 10 years or so and it is mostly due to drivers working some kind of electronic device.... and frankly, that is scary to me because like the deer, these people are totally unpredictable. And with population density on the increase, at least where I spend my time in the US, it is getting more and more difficult to find empty roads to ride, never mind traveling with traffic when needed.

And I am not sure I am scarring the children- they are probably too busy texting to worry about things like this.... :-(

Brian

youre frightening the children with the cage driving horror stories.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:19 AM »
 I spend more time these days honking at drivers who aren't paying attention to green lights at intersections..this makes me crazy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
I spend more time these days honking at drivers who aren't paying attention to green lights at intersections..this makes me crazy.

There's a thread for that ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »
I know, it should be in two threads.  Trying to decide which thread makes me crazy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline petepro

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »

Hit the Airhorn then twist the throttle.
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
That's exactly what I do Pete when I'm in the fire truck and pass someone texting or talking on the phone, a short loud blast from me or my Lieutenant usually gets their attention, sadly, after looking up they go back to what they were doing.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50