Author Topic: Anyone have any advise / cautions about living around the DC area?  (Read 5879 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
So my youngest pup is about to start a job working for the federal gummit, right smack- dab in the center of Washington, DC (the proverbial 'belly of the beast'). He is moving from the other coast and of course this is a bit daunting, especially because no one we know is familiar with that area.

So it looks like he is most likely to end up in northern VA or nearby MD, take public transportation (train) to DC and then the Metro as needed to get to where he will be working. Unfortunately, a lot of those areas are quite expensive to live in, as it always is near big cities, and it is really tough to tell where the decent places and not- so- decent places are from a map, logistics, demographics and economics research.

I think some of the folks here live / work in that area so I thought I would ask for any advice regarding potential living places, commuting thoughts (which state's trains run on time, which are better, less expensive, etc.) and anything else, especially in the area of "watch out for XXX".

We will need to look up local firearms laws as well but as we do not know which state he will be living in, we cannot do that yet. And yep, we are acutely aware of the draconian gun laws in DC itself- that must be why it is so safe there.  ::)

Thanks,
Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Anyone have any advise / cautions about living around the DC area?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
Quite a few of federal workers live in the Fredericksburg, VA area.  We have VRE (commuting train service) and I think a new station being built in Spotsylvania county just south of Fredericksburg.  There are also commuting lots and buses that run between here and DC.  I'm not real familiar with the options as my commute is from the bedroom to my home office, but I did use the train for awhile due to a gig I was on several years ago.  You don't really save any time using the train for the most part as it stops at quite a few places.  The train goes to downtown Washington but also stops at Metro stations so that you can switch over to the Metro system depending on where you are going.  I would kill myself if I had to drive in to downtown DC.  If you are MC oriented you can use the HOV lanes to downtown assuming they aren't blocked by an accident.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
Make sure his passport is currant and his shots are up to date.

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »
I live in Alexandria, VA, work in Landover, MD.  Stay away from DC's south-east (and MD's immediate vacinity - PG County).  Other areas around DC are fine.

DC politics, very liberal, of course.  DC has a lot to keep the younger generations busy/ occupied/ entertained.  But it's expensive to live in the city.  Driving in DC is also aggrevating.  Metro is the only way to travel there and keep the blood pressure down.  Working for FedGov, your young'un will most likely get a Metro pass issued, so the commute will be free.

That gub'mint paycheck will also mean that housing should be affordable (maybe/ maybe not in the ciity, but out in the 'burbs). 

MD, north and north-west of DC are nice.  Politics in these areas have a slight right slant, but are outnummbered by the denser populations of leftists in the eastern part of the state.  You do have all the ammenities you could want.  But, it's still MD.  Gun laws are awful.  Ever changing taxes (that you only find out about when you file).

Northern VA politics is pretty centered.  Slips back and forth between the left and right (more to the left, right now).  VA, west of DC - Tyson, Vienna... - is REALLY pretty and expensive (still not as bad as living in DC, though).  VA, south of DC (my area) is nice.  A lot more affordable - unless you go south of Woodbridge, VA (then prices drop dramatically).  VA's gun laws are great.  Open carry (permit only issued for concealed carry, and it's  easy to get). 

Rush hour traffic, anywhere around DC, can be downright ugly.  But usually it's just inconvenient.  My 21 mile ride to work takes an average of 40 minutes.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »
Great info., thanks! I spoke to another gentleman in northern VA earlier (thanks Frank!) and he said almost the exact same thing.

I appreciate the feedback and an overall feel for the area because it is hard to move to a new area, sign a lease for example, and hope it was a good maneuver. A year is a long time to live with a mistake like that.

Jared is leaving WA state tomorrow and driving east- should be here in 5 days or so.

I am going to take a moment here and share with you folks, who I consider friends that I simply have not met most of in the flesh, a little selfish pride. I have two sons, 31 and 27 (Alex and Jared respectively; Jared is the one moving to the D.C. area); both joined the Army, starting in November 2001 (!), and did their time with long overseas hitches (Afganistan, Iraq, one in each, one two times, and both in South Korea). Both were honorably discharged and started making their way through college even while in the service. Both graduated this year, Jared cum laude with a degree in economics (hence the job in D.C.- clearly they could use more economists, right?  :rotflmao:). Anyway, I am proud of both pups and really enjoying watching them work their way through life. I believe they will make good citizens; my only real goal when raising them was the hope that I could get them to think instead of simply reacting and so far, they are doing pretty well I think. Anyway, I know there are seven billion of us here and me and mine are not special but still, I am pretty happy with what is going on with them at the moment.

So next week Jared should be scouting around for an apartment in the greater D.C. area. And then off to his new (and first in this field, economics) where hopefully he can do some REAL damage!  :rotflmao:

Again, thanks folks for the feedback- it is appreciated.

Brian

I live in Alexandria, VA, work in Landover, MD.  Stay away from DC's south-east (and MD's immediate vacinity - PG County).  Other areas around DC are fine.

DC politics, very liberal, of course.  DC has a lot to keep the younger generations busy/ occupied/ entertained.  But it's expensive to live in the city.  Driving in DC is also aggrevating.  Metro is the only way to travel there and keep the blood pressure down.  Working for FedGov, your young'un will most likely get a Metro pass issued, so the commute will be free.

That gub'mint paycheck will also mean that housing should be affordable (maybe/ maybe not in the ciity, but out in the 'burbs). 

MD, north and north-west of DC are nice.  Politics in these areas have a slight right slant, but are outnummbered by the denser populations of leftists in the eastern part of the state.  You do have all the ammenities you could want.  But, it's still MD.  Gun laws are awful.  Ever changing taxes (that you only find out about when you file).

Northern VA politics is pretty centered.  Slips back and forth between the left and right (more to the left, right now).  VA, west of DC - Tyson, Vienna... - is REALLY pretty and expensive (still not as bad as living in DC, though).  VA, south of DC (my area) is nice.  A lot more affordable - unless you go south of Woodbridge, VA (then prices drop dramatically).  VA's gun laws are great.  Open carry (permit only issued for concealed carry, and it's  easy to get). 

Rush hour traffic, anywhere around DC, can be downright ugly.  But usually it's just inconvenient.  My 21 mile ride to work takes an average of 40 minutes.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
Brian, even fathers need heros.   :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:53:37 PM »
 :thumbs: 

Hey, I know they are not curing cancer or speeding up the internet or anything (just like the vast majority of us) but still, I am very happy with their progress, with them as citizens and their direction going forward. And as icing on the cake, my wife and I both get along with our daughter- in- law very well; in fact, my wife and D.I.L. are quite close and chat regularly. So even the 'Mother- in- law' thing is not a problem and that is pretty common (although my wife and my mother were very close for 25 years).

Jared has passed through northern Yellowstone, Beartooth Highway and Pass, and is moving east into SD. Trip is going well.... other than a little trouble with one cat (they have two). But nothing a quick stop by a dumpster could not fix.... but now they need a new cat bed, floor mats and a blanket.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Brian, even fathers need heros.   :chugbeer:

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:06:30 AM »
Great info., thanks! I spoke to another gentleman in northern VA earlier (thanks Frank!) and he said almost the exact same thing.

You're welcome!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

jirod

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »
:thumbs: 

Hey, I know they are not curing cancer or speeding up the internet or anything (just like the vast majority of us) but still, I am very happy with their progress, ...

Brian, in one paragraph you have told us more positive things about your sons than one can say about 90% of the population. You are justified in your pride. Kudos to you and your wife for raising such outstanding sons.  Thanks to your family for the service.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
My advise in one word...DON'T!  ;-)
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »
Thanks. Sincerely, thank you.

The kids are all packed and headed east- in Gary, IN for the night. Less than 1,000 miles out now and <may> be here tomorrow or Wed. at the latest. Finally, I get to use the world's stupidest but now applicable, emoticon:   :banana :banana :banana :banana

:rotflmao:

Brian

Brian, in one paragraph you have told us more positive things about your sons than one can say about 90% of the population. You are justified in your pride. Kudos to you and your wife for raising such outstanding sons.  Thanks to your family for the service.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
I hear that. But remember, they are young and it will certainly be a new experience for them. As I understand it, decent or better areas can be found reasonably close to the city and commuting is doable. I have used Washington's Metro and have to say that for all the horror stories of that city, the M is clean, safe, slick and runs on time. A great example of functional public transportation in the US.

So hey, maybe he works there for a year. Maybe he works there for 30 years- who knows? But even though I am a Yankee, I do know that VA would be a great place to live and have a good life so if that works for him, it is great with me.

And now they will be 8 road- hours away instead of 48.... and even the 48 hours took some doin' :-)
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2ed64debc2480041f

This trip my wife can do on the bike so we may be spending a bit of time in that area (Northern VA or possibly MD) shortly.

Brian

My advise in one word...DON'T!  ;-)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
east bank of the river Stafford area is still affordable for younger folks looking to rent a decent house, and it's close enough to commute via back entrances into DC.
I've run up 301 many times, and there seemed to be quite a lot of small areas east of DC in that strip that were "affodable"... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
King George for one..  Why, we're getting our third Sheetz!  Progress indeed!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »
Don't start looking so far away so fast.  He WILL hate the commute after a while.  Time is money as they say.  Check out Prince William County.  It's the second Virginia county south of the beltway (Fairfax is first and is both inside and outside the beltway).  I work here and did live here but moved back to Fairfax a few years ago.  PWC has Dale City which is an older Planned Community along with townhouses and apartments galore.  Plenty to do and the neighborhoods are pretty nice.  We're (I work for the PW Planning Office) adding more new apartments as we speak (of course they cost more) but there are pleny of older ones.  As for housing, there's plenty of reasonably priced housing.  If you want a lot of space though, you will need to go either south or westward, but even that can get pricey.

Other "nice" areas in PWC that may be affordable to them are: Gainesville, Lake Ridge, Montclair, Linton Hall Road communities, Braemar, Bristow, Sudley, southern Woodbridge (Route 1 corridor) just north of Dumfries.  Some are houses and not apartments.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »
How about Silver Springs, MD? Decent area? Excellent commute of course. He is looking at that because while it costs more, there will be far less money in commuting so that will at least somewhat offset the increase in rent.

??

Brian

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
Silver Spring is a "nice" area for the most part.  Its a semi-dense urban area mostly.  Rockville and Gaithersburg are out slightly farther and are nice as well but a little less dense (more suburban).  They also have great access to Metro.  Montgomery Village is nice also and is in that area (northwest of Silver Spring in the I-270 corridor).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
Very interesting reading about the demographics and economics of each area. For example, Rockville seems to have a very high percentage of Asian residents as well as a large Jewish population. More expensive apt. rental than Silver Spring (going by an extremely fast peek- very possibly not the right take on things) but I think it will be more attractive to them- as you say, a bit less urban. And the commute would be fantastically easy, especially if he caught an apt. close to the Metro station.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

By the way, my wife (Andrea) and I are virtually certain to end up in that area shortly and it would be great to meet up with some of you local folks. You all don't have one of those 'the out-of- state guy buys lunch' rules do ya'?  Hey, know what- no problem there either cause this kind of help is greatly appreciated and really.... well, helpful :-)

Brian

Silver Spring is a "nice" area for the most part.  Its a semi-dense urban area mostly.  Rockville and Gaithersburg are out slightly farther and are nice as well but a little less dense (more suburban).  They also have great access to Metro.  Montgomery Village is nice also and is in that area (northwest of Silver Spring in the I-270 corridor).

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »
The Rockville, Shady Grove, and Gaithersburg area has some very high-tech firms in it.  There is also a lot of amenities, mostly high-end shopping and great places to eat.  They are also basically sitting right on the I-270 and Metro transit corridor.  That is probably why the prices are up.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 04:26:50 AM »
By the way, my wife (Andrea) and I are virtually certain to end up in that area shortly and it would be great to meet up with some of you local folks. You all don't have one of those 'the out-of- state guy buys lunch' rules do ya'?  Hey, know what- no problem there either cause this kind of help is greatly appreciated and really.... well, helpful :-)

Brian

I don't think so, but I'm sure we can add it into the bylaws.