Author Topic: Grossly obvious double standard  (Read 6361 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Grossly obvious double standard
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
This will probably get locked, deleted or moved to the arena, and all of that is fine but I still am going to say (type) this anyway:

Has anyone else noticed the blatant double- standard of the mass media in reporting about the perpetrators and victims' races in news events? Specifically, if a white man or white LEO does something, the story always points out 'white man' or 'white police officer......'. But if a black man does the exact same thing, the media is silent on the perpetrator's race? And that this double- standard continues to the victim(s) as well?

This is not a racial post in any way but rather a post about what I clearly see as a national racial issue. I do not believe it is any type of conspiracy per se, but an 'understood' situation whereby mass media reporting follows this general pattern to be 'politically correct' in today's climate.

By the way, I am not asking if anyone thinks this is correct or not as I am quite certain it is correct, merely if anyone else has noticed it also, and especially if anyone else would be bold enough to comment.

This situation has happened yet again today with the unfortunate church violence in TN: nothing was mentioned about the perpetrator's race, and that single, solitary fact made me believe it was likely to be a black person because according to custom, race is never mentioned if the person in question is a person of color, but it is a critical factor in any and all reports if the person is not a person of color. And I am simply getting tired of being spoon fed this very carefully proportioned garbage masquerading as 'The News'. Or perhaps it IS the news but it has a definate, sizeable spin already woven throughout the headline as well as the story before it is ever presented to the public. I would rather see one of two things: either ALWAYS mention the race of the perpetrator(s) and the victim(s) or NEVER mention those things; this selective specification if frankly disturbing, insulting and IMO, obnoxious.

OK, off my soapbox and sending these electrons off to their fate..... not sure if this post needs a little political correctness adjusting or not but that will be up to others.

"I speak the truth, not so much as I would, but as much as I dare, and I dare a little more as I grow older."
- Michel de Montaigne

Brian (white, middle aged male, born and bred in the US, not a perpetrator or a victim of anything of any account whatsoever, and I only include this because it may or may not be important regarding the P.C. status of this, and other, posts)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
Re: Grossly obvious double standard
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
Just another example of our lop-sided biased media reporting.
Bob Skinner

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »
I've noted this bias for so long that today I all but expect it from the media...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 06:10:07 PM »
You need to check your privilege, white guy. Only members of the devil white race can be racist and commit hate crimes.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 06:38:31 PM »
 It's real, it's not new, in fact it's been going on for decades.

I know of which I speak, I sued the Florida Dept of Corrections in federal court over racial bias on promotions. This was in 1986 to 1991.

So the basics... a seargent promotion, in fact 2 slots filled. One went to a black male officer, the other to a hispanic female. I had been the black officers training officer, and AFTER the promotion I was assigned to teach the female officer how to run confinement... so she could be MY supervisor.

Understand coming into these promotions I had been working as "acting seargent" for 8 months while we were waiting for the positions to be officially filled.

After the promotions happened, I asked a supervisor what I had to do to be promoted. the answer that came back to me was that these promotions were needed to fulfill EEOC requirements. so I got ahold of the dept's EEOC policy and found that they were misapplying the standard. The standard being applied to the promotions was the same being applied to initial hiring, that the new hires should reflect the racial makeup of society by percentage. So in a effort to stay ahead of the game and not answer any questions, minorities that were less qualified were being moved up the ranks just for appearances.

I'm not going to go into how messy the whole thing became, but by the time we went to court  (I had been out of doc for 5 years) the primary thrust of the allegations against me was that I am a racist for even bring the issue up. Only a person wanting to suppress minorities would do so... correct? The fact that I said repeatedly that discrimination against any person for their race, gender etc is unacceptable and that you cannot"fix" past injustices to a group by being unjust to another group seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I won my case with the Florida Commission on Human Rights, but lost in federal court. we could have appealed it, but frankly I was tired of fighting and needed to move on with my life. there was a lot of bad times associated with that.

Several years later, the Supreme Court heard a case basically the same as mine for some firemen from NJ who were the victims of the same "reverse discrimination". After that quotas for the EEOC were dismantled because the supreme court determined you cannot try to reverse past injustices perpetuated on one group by discriminating against another group. Imagine that.

So this has been going on for a long time. It actually has a name... "identity politics". Basically that means that the more your group has been the historic victim of discrimination, the more credibility your claim of discrimination has, regardless of the actual fact of the case. So in that case any black person shot by a white police officer has to be innocent, the while officer a racist. Of course the officer was operating under the long standing idea that law enforcement systematically oppressed black people, because as we know, it has happened in the past. If the black person was caught in the act of carjacking, or committing murder, rape whatever, it has no real bearing on the issue, which is a black man being suppressed by a white man.

One more interesting fact... blacks make up about 14% of the population , but about 40% of the prison population is black. That, of course has nothing to do with any actual statistics that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime generally against other blacks, but it HAS to be because the justice system is stacked against them, so their lawyer will always be a chump, whereas a white guy accused of the same crime would get the top Harvard graduate assigned to his case at the public defenders office.

I am not a racist. In fact I recall that the grade school  I attended up north was next to an old house reported to have been used in the underground railroad... and we all felt a sense of pride in that. But I can tell you that pretty soon thiose who scream "it's racism" are going to start driving good, non racist folks away from their cause, because we know they're overplaying their hand just to get the upper hand in every situation. and that, actually, was the point made in the OP's post. Steve

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »
Yes, he is a black man. And from the Sudan.  But they have not mentioned his religion, as far as I know. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 09:25:09 PM »
Has anyone else noticed the blatant double- standard of the mass media in reporting about the perpetrators and victims' races in news events? Specifically, if a white man or white LEO does something, the story always points out 'white man' or 'white police officer......'. But if a black man does the exact same thing, the media is silent on the perpetrator's race? And that this double- standard continues to the victim(s) as well?

Oh, its real and very irritating to those of us who believe in and fight for equality and treat everyone with the same respect and objectivity.  So yes, pretty much everyone notices it and somehow it is OK, or at least tolerated.

Related video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCQFH5wOJo
And a bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faolY5_hnIc

This is not a racial post in any way but rather a post about what I clearly see as a national racial issue. I do not believe it is any type of conspiracy per se, but an 'understood' situation whereby mass media reporting follows this general pattern to be 'politically correct' in today's climate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0HV_GQut4

And since you are talking about double standards in the media...

Asian American
Native American
Arab American
African American

and wait for it...

"White"

Never "European American."  How does this fare for equality?   I mean, I don't want a "White History" month, but can't we at least use equal terminology?

Related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl7Q36V9pg4
And a bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiU20QjKPCo

It is apparent that a huge portion of the population don't want everyone to be treated equally but given special treatment, special terms, special reporting, etc.  The media pander to it almost continuously.  And when that happens, it not only fails those who get special treatment but offends those who don't or those who really want impartiality.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 10:14:39 PM »
The "media" has an agenda that we mere mortals are not privy too and probably would not understand.  As a group, they do whatver it takes to steer the country and the world to some place where they want it to be.  The underlying issue is not about race, it is about who is in control and who is the subject.  Left to our own devices, without the constant bombardment of the "news", most of these perceived problems would go away.  It would be good to have an unbiased news reporting system that presented the actual FACTS AND TRUTH ( as Professor Indiana Jones pointed out, FACT and TRUTH are not the same).  However, that's not what we have.  I'm not sure whose best interests are served by giving us half-truths and outright falsehoods, but it seems that "they" want us in a constant state of turmoil, creating strife where none needs to be.

Recently there was a black woman who was shot and killed here in Seattle, by two SPD officers.  She had known mental problems and had had several previous contacts with local LEO's.  When the police responded to her 911 call about an intruder, she attacked them with knives.  They responded with deadly force.  Her family is calling it murder.  The media has slanted it several different ways, the most recent is that they "shot her in the back".  Well, maybe, if the officers were firing rapidly under severe stress, and she was spinning around after having already been shot in the front.  But the way the news is making it sound, it would make you think that she was just standing there facing away from them and they murdered her by "shooting her in the back".  The news media wants to stir it up as much as possible, create as much tension and needless friction as they can. 

I notice the same sort of slant regarding "motorcycle" accidents.  If a bike rider crashes all on his own, it's a "motorcycle" accident.  If a car hits a motorcycle, it is STILL called a motorcycle accident, even if the car driver is at fault.  Why not call it a CAR accident?  What about the car driver?

Since the average American knows so little about the way things actually work, they believe whatever they see on television and in the movies, and whatever crap the news media puts forth reinforces the errors and omissions until the truth is almost impossible to uncover.  That's why people believe that AR-15's are machine guns, cars get better mileage with higher octane gas, "news" is truth, and all white people are racists.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »
This situation has happened yet again today with the unfortunate church violence in TN: nothing was mentioned about the perpetrator's race, and that single, solitary fact made me believe it was likely to be a black person because according to custom, race is never mentioned if the person in question is a person of color

Well, it seems that Fox News apparently DOES tell all the details:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/24/deadly-tennessee-church-shooting-sudanese-immigrant-arrested-fbi-launches-civil-rights-investigation.html  But to be fair, it seems other sites have updated their info too, finally.

The perpetrator is black, and shot 6 [apparently] white people.  And just to drive the Left ultra insane, apparently a white victim fought the perpetrator, and after being hurt, went out and got his own gun and helped end the crisis WITHOUT the death of the perp.  Boy, that certainly doesn't fit with their depiction of guns in the hands of GOOD people, does it?  And let's take bets on if the perp had legal guns.  Well, maybe they can start making up some fake news to explain how it really isn't the perp's fault he did what he did, it must somehow be society...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 12:36:36 AM »

And since you are talking about double standards in the media...

Asian American
Native American
Arab American
African American

You missed out Irish American & Italian American  ;)

and wait for it...

"White"

Never "European American."  How does this fare for equality?

Nah thats far too generic you need

British American
French American
German American
Spanish American (unless you want to bundle those under Hispanic)
Portuguese American (see Spanish)

etc etc  ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline O.C.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 02:13:54 AM »
Political Correctness (PC) has become a victim of it's own stupidity
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 04:15:39 AM »
I'm not sure I could call myself British American, English American possibly.  I think you have have to be born here to have one of those tags.  I am a citizen here but based on some rules in GB I could be a citizen there as well.  My wife and kids could be English/Scotch (not the drinking variety)/Welsh/Irish American as well as my US ancestors...but not me as they were all born here.  I could be a 'sooner' (soon as one or the other).

But really, how far do you go back with that tag?  A significant portion of my DNA comes back from England but over 54% comes back Scandinavian and Western Europe (Comes from invasions of the Isles) with just a smidgen of Polynesian (have no clue how that slipped in (easy boys)).  So I could be all of those 'xxxxxxxxx' Americans as could most of us here.  All of us on the planet, for the most part are Mutts.  I identify with English as I was born in England proper.  I wonder how that works over there?  O.C., Mikey?  Do you guys even have that term like we do over here?

As far as the news play on that incident in question I was wondering the same thing because I couldn't tell what was going on either.  Even Fox news this morning (Web) isn't talking about the ethnicity of the parishioners shot. 

We could be European Americans but I don't like being lumped in with that lot at all.  Yes, I'm biased and proud of it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 05:18:13 AM »
Jm, I was born and raised in the county of Yorkshire, hence I am a Yorkshireman which as any English person will tell you, puts me head and shoulders above the rest   :rotflmao:  The saying "Ya can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but ya can't tell him much" applies perfectly  ;)   

It is an interesting question though, as I have lived in various areas of England over the years, 1951 - 1992 Yorkshire,  1992 - 2014 Cumbria (Lake District) and then in North Yorkshire from 2014 -2017 and now I reside in Northern Ireland and that's the interesting bit, because Northern Ireland whilst part of the U.K is  not classed as part of Great Britain, for example we now possess N.I driving licences and enjoy many different and usually better benefits from the comparable ones in G.B.

CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 05:27:06 AM »
I was just wondering from the point of view of something like...."I'm a British Frenchman" as my ancestors came from France kind of thing like what we do over here but over here is a somewhat interesting situation compared to GB as everyone over here is not from here with the exception of the native Indians but even they were immigrants as well at some point.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:23 AM »
You missed out Irish American & Italian American  ;)

Nah thats far too generic you need

British American
French American
German American
Spanish American (unless you want to bundle those under Hispanic)
Portuguese American (see Spanish)

etc etc  ;)

No.  The main three used are continents,  the next main two are just large physical areas, these are not countries.  There is no way looking at someone you can know if they have German vs. French vs. Austrian ancestry.  But you know they are European American.   All of it is silly anyway.  What do you call someone who is half White South African and half Native Columbian?  "European-English-White-South-Africa-African-Inca-Colombian-South-America-Native-American"?

Offline O.C.

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »
No.  The main three used are continents,  the next main two are just large physical areas, these are not countries.  There is no way looking at someone you can know if they have German vs. French vs. Austrian ancestry.  But you know they are European American.   All of it is silly anyway. What do you call someone who is half White South African and half Native Columbian? "European-English-White-South-Africa-African-Inca-Colombian-South-America-Native-American"?

Unique  :thumbs: 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 07:04:52 AM »
And that is the EXACT reason for my post: race is ignored if the perpetrator is black. But race is in the first lines, and almost always in the headlines, if the perpetrator is white and / or if the victim(s) is black.

It is reverse- discrimination and it seems to be all- pervasive, at least with news agencies w/in the US, even including non- US news agencies reporting in the US (BBC for example). It seems to be an unstated rule that all must follow. My own take on it is that apparently racism has new facets to its very definition: mentioning the race of a perpetrator of a crime, if that perpetrator is black is racist, not mentioning the race of a perpetrator who is white is also racist. The new default seems to be that white people cannot be discriminated against, no matter how much they are discriminated against, simply because they are white. The reverse is also true, any mention of race when speaking about anyone who is non- white is racist and discriminatory.

News, by definition, should be as unbiased as possible. But what we seem to have here is 'the tail wagging the dog' in current journalism: instead of simply reporting the news as neutral facts, it is reported only after being massaged to make it P.C., and if need be, some parts are simply left out while other aspects get additional attention or specific mention. It seems that no one is able to stand up to what is perceived as "The right thing to do" and actually do the right thing anymore. I would imagine Edward R. Murrow might have, and I like to think would have, resisted such nonsense but it seems social pressure has pushed most (all?) of journalism to the point where the truth and the whole truth just cannot be stated anymore.

Brian

<snip>

As far as the news play on that incident in question I was wondering the same thing because I couldn't tell what was going on either.  Even Fox news this morning (Web) isn't talking about the ethnicity of the parishioners shot. 

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
I identify as Briish(Welsh) ;)

I'm not sure I could call myself British American, English American possibly.  I think you have have to be born here to have one of those tags.  I am a citizen here but based on some rules in GB I could be a citizen there as well.  My wife and kids could be English/Scotch (not the drinking variety)/Welsh/Irish American as well as my US ancestors...but not me as they were all born here.  I could be a 'sooner' (soon as one or the other).

But really, how far do you go back with that tag?  A significant portion of my DNA comes back from England but over 54% comes back Scandinavian and Western Europe (Comes from invasions of the Isles) with just a smidgen of Polynesian (have no clue how that slipped in (easy boys)).  So I could be all of those 'xxxxxxxxx' Americans as could most of us here.  All of us on the planet, for the most part are Mutts.  I identify with English as I was born in England proper.  I wonder how that works over there?  O.C., Mikey?  Do you guys even have that term like we do over here?

We could be European Americans but I don't like being lumped in with that lot at all.  Yes, I'm biased and proud of it.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 11:36:03 AM »
Thanks for the input folks, I was hoping it really was as I thought I was seeing it and at least some people noticed. Otherwise it would be like an episode of The Twilight Zone for me.... :-)

And still I cannot find a single headline or news story that states the perpetrator of the recent violence in TN was black nor any that state what race the victims are. And so it goes on.....

Brian