Author Topic: A new high in political correctness  (Read 9436 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: A new high in political correctness
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 08:27:18 PM »
Nos,
Cutting the wood, very manly, the pink shirt though??  :-X

:grouphug:   :chugbeer:

It's an old "gimme shirt" from a fund-raising bicycle ride for the American Lung Association.  It's for out in the woods where no one can see. 8)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
It's an old "gimme shirt" from a fund-raising bicycle ride for the American Lung Association.  It's for out in the woods where no one can see. 8)

All good brutha, I like it!  :chugbeer:

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »
What does eating that stuff sposed to do for him? Years ago I had a super duper aquarium filter that used diatoms. It did one heck of a good job cleaning the water but it was a mess to use.

Apparently it is really hard on parasites. Although, with the guy in question, I think he could use a parasite or 10.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »

hey- dude has an AX! he could be wearing a tutu for all i care! :)
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 07:50:38 AM »
Actually, I know at least one vegetarian and he looks 'normal'.
Two actually, although since we haven't meet in person you'll have to take my word that I look "normal"
Well, as the pic below shows, I'm not Ahhnuld, but I am not going to blow away anytime soon.  vegetarian for many years now.  Down from 210 last January to about 185 now, this was taken in August.  That's an 8-pound maul I'm using and I've been swinging it all day.

I work a job with some pretty physical days myself, and I can outwork men 10 years younger.
I've been off the animals for about that long and I can still pick up my bike just fine!
'02 C-10

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 10:23:31 AM »
Well, as the pic below shows, I'm not Ahhnuld, but I am not going to blow away anytime soon.  vegetarian for many years now.  Down from 210 last January to about 185 now, this was taken in August.  That's an 8-pound maul I'm using and I've been swinging it all day.

Something to think about: 

Herbivores are generally big and strong animals and tend to have great endurance for long-range travel:  Elephants, cattle (think Brahma bulls), horses, hippopatimus, giraffe, rhinoceros, elk, moose, all the breeds of deer, water buffalo, regular buffalo, the list goes on.

Carnivorous animals are some of the fastest, (necessry to run down prey) but generally give something up in size and stamina:  A cheetah gets one or two tries to bring down a meal, then it's done, same for lioness, jaguar, all the big cats.  Cats are obligate carnivores, though, their bodies need meat for the amino acids, etc., that they can't get by plant-based diet alone.  Exceptions being the larger predators such as bears (omnivorous), sharks, whales, etc., and the larger primates.

The animal kingdom (of which we are members) is pretty well represented by both factions.

I stand corrected. Never again shall I abide that stereo type. Many apologizes to those offended.  :-\ Original comment was made in jest, I see now the tastelessness of it. Once again I sincerely apologize.

Two actually, although since we haven't meet in person you'll have to take my word that I look "normal"I work a job with some pretty physical days myself, and I can outwork men 10 years younger.
I've been off the animals for about that long and I can still pick up my bike just fine!
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Fretka

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »
How about the cough suppressant and expectorant cold remedies? Seems a bit at odds.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »
I stand corrected. Never again shall I abide that stereo type. Many apologizes to those offended.  :-\ Original comment was made in jest, I see now the tastelessness of it. Once again I sincerely apologize.

Hey, no sweat, man.  You'll have to work a lot harder than that to offend me.  ;)

Generalizations are generally correct, though, so to some extent I agree with you.  One concept that seems to elude a lot of my fellow vegetarians is that beer and doughnuts can be a solid foundation for a vegetarian diet.  ;D

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 08:33:33 PM »
  One concept that seems to elude a lot of my fellow vegetarians is that beer and doughnuts can be a solid foundation for a vegetarian diet.  ;D

Now THAT is funny!

Ü

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 09:50:07 PM »

Something to think about: 

Herbivores are generally big and strong animals and tend to have great endurance for long-range travel:  Elephants, cattle (think Brahma bulls), horses, hippopatimus, giraffe, rhinoceros, elk, moose, all the breeds of deer, water buffalo, regular buffalo, the list goes on.

Carnivorous animals are some of the fastest, (necessry to run down prey) but generally give something up in size and stamina:  A cheetah gets one or two tries to bring down a meal, then it's done, same for lioness, jaguar, all the big cats.  Cats are obligate carnivores, though, their bodies need meat for the amino acids, etc., that they can't get by plant-based diet alone.  Exceptions being the larger predators such as bears (omnivorous), sharks, whales, etc., and the larger primates.

The animal kingdom (of which we are members) is pretty well represented by both factions.

Well, you sure tought me a thing or two.  By the way, you look great for 29.  All those veggies must be working!
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »
Hey, no sweat, man.  You'll have to work a lot harder than that to offend me.  ;)

Generalizations are generally correct, though, so to some extent I agree with you.  One concept that seems to elude a lot of my fellow vegetarians is that beer and doughnuts can be a solid foundation for a vegetarian diet.  ;D

I think the people they were thinking of when they said "vegetarian" were raw-food vegans.

Eggplant Parm and Chile Rellenos are considered vegetarian, right?   8)
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 05:38:02 AM »
Its all good!
No offense intended, none perceived.
I think the people they were thinking of when they said "vegetarian" were raw-food vegans.
Naw, probably talking about Vegans. Those guys are off the milk, eggs and cheese too!
I try to keep up on the math behind my food intake (calories,carbs, fiber, protein of course, etc.) and I still get plenty of all as long as I stay "ovo-lacto" and eat whole grain whenever possible
But it can be pretty hard to make it balance if you remove the eggs, milk, cheese.
I've never tried to go that far myself, I'm not sure I want to live in a world without good cheeses...
how bout you Nosmo?

Eggplant Parm and Chile Rellenos are considered vegetarian, right?   8)
Oh yeaa!!
'02 C-10

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »

Guess I need to work a little harder on my offensive skills.  ;D Seroiusly though I have learned quite a bit from ya'll. Thanks much for the vegetarian info. Something to chew on  :D as I work out a weight loss diet. I guess that's why fruits & veggies are zero points on weight watchers.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »
I'm not sure which I'd like more, beer-flavored cheese or cheese flavored beer.  I have no problem with consuming animal by-products such as cheese, although I try to limit it because of the saturated fats.  But some of our engineered substitues are even worse for you.  As long s the animal didn't die to supply it, I'm OK with it.  Personally I go with real butter rather than any of the chemical substitutes.  Being Vegan is reall really difficult and you need a large commitment to that ethic (whatever works for you in that respect) as just about all the processed "food" has beef by products or dairy or eggs in it.  I have been baking my own dairy-free bread and it's OK, but a challenge.

If you have an ethic about certain foods, you REALLY need to research where processed stuff comes from.  Some vegetarians eat Jello and marshmallow,  not knowing they are cow-processing by-products containing collagen from the bones and hides.  YYUUUMMMM.  When I was in the hospital for the one day after my hernia operation, the kitchen told me that it was on their vegetarian menu. 

Some time ago I watched a documentary on one of the PBS stations and the food expert was saying that at the grocery store, you should only buy things from the areas along the outer walls, since all the real food (dairy, fruits, vegetables, produce, meat, baked goods) is always along the walls.  The stuff in the boxes and bags in the middle of the store he called "edible food-like prodiuts".  A survey of our local stores proved this to be very true.

Eat what makes you happy, you're going to die anyway, no matter what.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »
All kidding aside the fake salt actually can have its place... My dad suffers from chronic heart failure and the last time he was very sick and his heart was retaining most of the fluid he was told he had to kick all the sodium out of his diet.  Since he's always used a lot on his food he couldn't get rid of the taste so he bought this stuff to get him by.  I tried it, and while it gets the job done it wasn't anything worth writing home for  :D

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »
Some time ago I watched a documentary on one of the PBS stations and the food expert was saying that at the grocery store, you should only buy things from the areas along the outer walls, since all the real food (dairy, fruits, vegetables, produce, meat, baked goods) is always along the walls.  The stuff in the boxes and bags in the middle of the store he called "edible food-like prodiuts".  A survey of our local stores proved this to be very true.
That would have been Michael Pollan author of "The Omnivores Dilemma" and more recently "In Defense of Food"

He has the most succinct health advice you'll ever need:
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. "
Alexx45, if you can remember that one simple rule, your well on your way...
'02 C-10

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 08:38:18 AM »
^^^ Thanks for the advice. I am working on it. Mainly use meat for flavoring. Still have problems when I'm on the road. More   planning involved than I've been willing to contribute. Working on it.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit