Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303262 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1280 on: January 24, 2019, 04:22:49 AM »
Watched: A Quiet Place and Bird Box.

Bird Box was first and I really enjoyed that movie. Edge of your seat suspense. Thumbs up.

A Quiet Place was terrible! SEVERAL plot hole large enough to drive a silent tractor through. So many holes that I couldn't get around them. The first of which, where did the electricity come from? Maybe those new fangled silent generators? Thumbs down, WAY down.

Anyone like A Quiet Place?

IMDB rated Quiet Place 7.6 and Bird Box 6.7. I gotta wonder if those folks watched the same movies that I did?  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #1281 on: January 24, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »

Hmmmm...now I gotta watch it again...'cause I enjoyed it...or thought I did...I'll give only the excuse that I was away from home and a little desperate for entertainment at the time, and that may have skewed my enjoyment meter. Now back in my salad days, before they started drug testing my urine at work, I would partake of stuff that made mac n cheese taste like gourmet food and old Danny Kaye movies seem like Oscar winning stuff...but no, that sensory enhancement drug wasn't in effect this time...just desperation. I'll watch it again here at home and maybe get a more accurate meter reading. Then I'll watch the bird box thing and report back.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1282 on: January 24, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »
It was ok, I certainly didn't think it was good as all the hype.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1283 on: January 24, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
Yep, a true anthology series such as The Twilight Zone where no episode has any connection whatsoever to any other episode. So one can be lousy, one silly and one excellent, all in a row.

I found Black Mirror about the same way, with a sprinkling of excellent episodes, some lame but most OK or better. I will absolutely catch the next season (as you loosely call them and I agree).

Brian

Wow- I just finished watching all 4 "seasons" (I use that term faintly) over the last week.  A few episodes were "meh" but most of the others were really great!  Highly recommend.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #1284 on: January 24, 2019, 10:48:16 PM »
Watched: A Quiet Place and Bird Box.

Bird Box was first and I really enjoyed that movie. Edge of your seat suspense. Thumbs up.

A Quiet Place was terrible! SEVERAL plot hole large enough to drive a silent tractor through. So many holes that I couldn't get around them. The first of which, where did the electricity come from? Maybe those new fangled silent generators? Thumbs down, WAY down.

IMDB rated Quiet Place 7.6 and Bird Box 6.7. I gotta wonder if those folks watched the same movies that I did?  :o

quiet place got ditched within the first 20 minutes of watching... enhhhhhh

bird box, was somewhat enthrawling, and I enjoyed it for content... pretty scarey actually/\
when I was in my teens, i was doing a solo canoe trip ( mom and dad freaked out, and put out an APB because of it), it was a 4 day trip, consisting of just short of 50 miles, on the Grand River in Ohio... I had done many6 of the sections local to me, to Lake Erie, countless times, and had camped, fished, hunted along the corridor for 30+ miles inland;
I was camping on the second day/evening of my trip... and while grabbing up fire wood, ran a branch... a really pokey one.. into my eye..
I freaked out, and as I did have a "simple med" kit. and fresh water, I rinsed my eye, gooobered NeoSporin into it (nthat was tought to ddo.. just saying) and applied a gauze pad, and duct tape.. to continue on... again, mom and dad, were not a "bail out option" because if I did that... well, I would be haunted with the repetitious "I told you so"... "don't poke your eye out" schpeel.

It all ended well, I got scolded for what I took on, and it was all dropped...
But I will say, navigating a river, alone, with no person around within many miles at times.... being HALF blind, was a wake-up call

I actually did a "re-doo" a few years later at a church camp, where we taped our eye's shut with gauze and tape, for 48 hours, and entrusted those around us to "assist" us..

OMG

all I can say, is loosing sight, is very scarey.

cool movie tho.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1285 on: January 25, 2019, 07:22:31 AM »
Hmmmm...now I gotta watch it again...'cause I enjoyed it...or thought I did...I'll give only the excuse that I was away from home and a little desperate for entertainment at the time, and that may have skewed my enjoyment meter. Now back in my salad days, before they started drug testing my urine at work, I would partake of stuff that made mac n cheese taste like gourmet food and old Danny Kaye movies seem like Oscar winning stuff...but no, that sensory enhancement drug wasn't in effect this time...just desperation. I'll watch it again here at home and maybe get a more accurate meter reading. Then I'll watch the bird box thing and report back.

Well, I myself am not under any threat of having to take a urine test, so...    8)  (even that didn't improve this movie for me)

That said, even being 'under the influence' I still couldn't get into A Quiet Place. I have an entire list of plot holes in that movie. I had a discussion with my oldest son, who liked that movie, and that's where my list came from.

Here's one for your consideration. Supposedly humans have been living with these creatures for over a year right? They know that these creatures have super sensitive hearing and are attracted by sound right? Could they not set a trap, involving some sort of sound source, a pit, and a bunch of gasoline/explosives?

I could go on and on. How about, where did the rows and rows of corn come from? Those fields didn't get planted by hand...

For a more complete list of the gaping plot holes that you may have missed.

https://smile.amazon.com/Quiet-Place-Emily-Blunt/product-reviews/B07BYJX9FZ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6644200/goofs/?tab=gf&ref_=tt_trv_gf

Jim Halpert should have stuck with acting...

What's really amazing about A Quite Place is that it won The American Film Institute's move of the year award! WTF?  :o

https://www.afi.com/afiawards/AFI-Awards-2018.aspx

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #1286 on: February 24, 2019, 04:19:33 PM »
just watched this on Netflix...

Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski

I admit even tho I have heard the name, I never researched or looked at his work...
So I have been looking closer...
totally amazing... some of the most powerful art I have ever seen.. the sculptures are simply astounding, even tho many were destroyed in Poland when it was Bombed...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Szukalski
https://www.szukalski.com/

\ very worthy of "tattoo" application on skin....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1287 on: May 20, 2019, 06:17:21 AM »
Game of Thrones, season 8.

We watched the last ep last night. What a disappointment!!!   :o

The writers could have done so much with the last season and didn't.

It seems that after loosely following the book for so long once they had to write a good ending on their own that they weren't up to the task. Pity.

GoT season 8, RIP    :thumbdown

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1288 on: May 20, 2019, 12:22:13 PM »

It seems that after loosely following the book for so long once they had to write a good ending on their own that they weren't up to the task. Pity.

Agree completely! It's like they got tired and just ended it as quickly as they could.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1289 on: May 20, 2019, 03:22:30 PM »
Absolutely typical of random length, episodic TV. They do not know how long the show is going to last so they cannot predict when it will end and therefore have a reasonable plot outline. And when the series does end, they have to quickly try to tie- up loose ends and that is usually impossible: remember how Lost ended in some kind of 'afterlife'?

That was the thing that allowed Breaking Bad to be so good- Vince Gilligan had a plan and a story arc all picked out before even starting. He actually stated his goal was to start off with 'Mr. Chips' and end up with 'Scarface', and he proceeded to write exactly that. He choose when and how to end the series rather than just making some unknown number of seasons and then slamming the door on the entire story.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1290 on: May 20, 2019, 08:23:56 PM »
Agree completely! It's like they got tired and just ended it as quickly as they could.

That's exactly what I thought...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1291 on: May 21, 2019, 12:09:07 PM »
Season finale of Killing Eve is Sunday!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1292 on: May 21, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »

That's exactly what I thought...
Must have learned that from that asshole Martin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1293 on: May 23, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »
Sigh...since then, Chernobyl, Vera, Discovery of Witches, Killing Eve, Boston Legal, Prometheus...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1294 on: May 23, 2019, 03:00:13 PM »
Dead To Me on Netflix.
Fun at times, really heavy the next.
Not the best TV, but 30 minute episodes that are entertaining.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1295 on: May 23, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
Somehow that show has left its original concept and even its own 'outline' IMO. It started out fantastic- who does not like watching a real psychopath (as in reality or a very realistic performance)? In fact, the first episode with the psychopath and the little girl in the ice cream shop was outstanding IMO. The first season was also great. But it kinda' lost its way in season 2 for me- than antagonist and protagonist are not usually 'pals' or even work associates.

On the plus side, Black Mirror is going to arrive with <apparently> three new episodes in June '19, and going by history, at least one (and maybe more) will be great.

Westworld is coming back in '20 too and that still has a shot at being a good show though it seemed to be leaning the other way in the second season. Still, the special effects and overall execution were really pretty good for TV IMO. Then again, the first season did have Anthony Hopkins and I think he could make a chimney fire interesting and worth watching...... :-)

Brian

Season finale of Killing Eve is Sunday!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1296 on: May 23, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »
Finished up Lucifer (man what a silly yet great series) and terminated Netflex Streaming.  For now, anyway.  I am glad Netflix Streaming decided to continue it (amidst so much mediocre other stuff they seem to have).

On the plus side, Black Mirror is going to arrive with <apparently> three new episodes in June '19, and going by history, at least one (and maybe more) will be great.

I really liked that show and was very disappointed by the time and money wasted on that last "choose your ending" thing they put out.  I had been wanting more for a long time... what a major let-down.

Westworld is coming back in '20 too and that still has a shot at being a good show though it seemed to be leaning the other way in the second season. Still, the special effects and overall execution were really pretty good for TV IMO. Then again, the first season did have Anthony Hopkins and I think he could make a chimney fire interesting and worth watching...... :-)

Really loved the first season.  The second wasn't as good.  But I would watch more.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1297 on: May 24, 2019, 06:06:06 AM »
Lucifer is on Netflix??

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1298 on: May 24, 2019, 08:27:47 AM »
Lucifer is on Netflix??

Yes.  The excellent Fox show was cancelled after 3 seasons and the fan noise was so extreme that Netflix picked it up and put out a 4th season. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer_(TV_series)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1299 on: May 24, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »
I dropped HBO but I could pick up Netflix long enough to watch season 4.